How do I copy the hard drive of a netbook to an external drive from the netbooks BIOS screen?

vbimport

Hi to all.

I am a newbie (although I am familiar with computers in that I can do basic installations, set-up etc…)…

I bought a used Lenovo s10e netbook upgraded with a 300GB HD and 2G RAM with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I’ve installed a lot of utilities such as Winstep Xtreme, Yahoo! Widgets, iTunes, Open Office, Firefox, Windows Explorer 8, Safari, and a lot of other software and downloaded files.

I accidentally knocked my computer off of a dinner table while it was actively connected to the internet through Clearwire’s USB port. I heard a few beeps and saw a boot error message in the BIOS screen, saying that there was a boot error via the USB. This was the message:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. "

I tried repairing my computer by making a Windows 7 recovery disk, a DVD ISO disk image of the Windows 7 Installation disk (via uTorrent), and some disc utility commands at the c:> I found online.

Now, the computer says that there is no OS at all.

I believe that all of the content I installed on the computer is still intact and I want to salvage it. My only option is to purchase a new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and a 300GB external HD, and duplicate the netbooks HD to the external HD (not the files but a bit-by-bit mirror duplicate of the internal HD and retain the disc image of the internal HD with all of the programs and files as they are on the internal HD to the external HD).

Once I duplicate the internal HD to the external HD, I will reformat the internal HD, partition it into two drives, install Windows 7 on one partition, install either Windows XP or Linux XP on the 2nd partition, and through Windows 7, tether the external HD to the netbook and after deleting the corrupted OS (if necessary), copy the external HD (through the necessary disc utility) to the appropriate section of the reformatted internal HD. Once this is successful, I will then reformat the external HD and convert it to a bootable replica of the internal HD, so that if this incident happens again, I can boot my netbook from the external HD (as if it is the internal HD), and repair the netbooks internal HD from it.

As you can see, I have a basic understanding of how to use utilities from functioning software, but I don’t know how to do things from the c:> in BIOS. I don’t have another functioning computer (so I can’t use a disc utility such as Norton Ghost or something similar).

My computer will not boot, and I need to copy the HD to an external HD via the BIOS (not the files but the whole HD). If this is possible, how do I do it?

You can’t do any copying from the bios, you’ll need a bootable recovery disk and since you don’t have another computer you’ll have to ask a friend to download one and burn it to a disk, or if you’re in the US, go to your local library and download one to a flash drive which you should be able to boot from.

Here’s a link to one: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

If you can’t get a repair to work you can probably still recover your data but you’ll still need a bootable CD like Gparted or Easeus offers some free recovery tools.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2539009]You can’t do any copying from the bios, you’ll need a bootable recovery disk and since you don’t have another computer you’ll have to ask a friend to download one and burn it to a disk, or if you’re in the US, go to your local library and download one to a flash drive which you should be able to boot from.

Here’s a link to one: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/[/QUOTE]
I already have a bootable recovery disc.

I am no longer attempting to repair the boot registry. I want to format the HD to reinstall a new copy of Windows 7 (since the software license wasn’t transferred with the computer when I bought it).

Before I do that, I want to replicate the HD and copy it to an external HD to salvage the contents of the HD and restore it to the internal HD once it is reformatted and restored.

How do I duplicate the hard drive if I cant do it through the netbook’s BIOS?

Hi,[QUOTE=writejohnjones;2538998]
My computer will not boot, and I need to copy the HD to an external HD via the BIOS (not the files but the whole HD). If this is possible, how do I do it?[/QUOTE]I’d use a Live Linux (Knoppix, Ubuntu, whatever) system to salvage the data from the HDD.
You need someone who will download and burn a disc. These Live systems can also be installed onto an USB stick (should have 2 GB) using the unetbootin tool.

Michael

You need someone to create a bootable disk for you, any Linux distro or Gparted or UBCD will allow you to recover your data, whichever one you choose, or as I mentioned above if you’re in the US most libraries offer internet service or go to any internet cafe and download something to a flash drive.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2539014]Hi,I’d use a Live Linux (Knoppix, Ubuntu, whatever) system to salvage the data from the HDD.
You need someone who will download and burn a disc. These Live systems can also be installed onto an USB stick (should have 2 GB) using the unetbootin tool.

Michael[/QUOTE]
Hi.

I am trying to do more than salvage the data on the drive, I want to copy the entire drive “whole” as-is. I don’t know the term for it (replicate, duplicate, mirror, disc image, etc…).

The end result is that the external drive is a twin of the internal drive, so that once I reformat the internal drive and reinstall Windows 7, I can plug in the external drive and access it from the netbook, and then transfer the programs and files from it.

If I can’t do it from the BIOS of the netbook, how do I make a twin of the HD? Do I take the HD out of the netbook first, and then do something else?

You can’t just transfer programs you’ve installed from your old hard drive to a new one, you’ll have to reinstall the ones you want once you’ve installed the OS. You can transfer the data files, but not the programs, so forget about cloning your hard drive, just save the data files.

[QUOTE=writejohnjones;2539023]

I am trying to do more than salvage the data on the drive, I want to copy the entire drive “whole” as-is. I don’t know the term for it (replicate, duplicate, mirror, disc image, etc…).[/quote]the dd command run off a Linux system is able to do that.

If I can’t do it from the BIOS of the netbook, how do I make a twin of the HD? Do I take the HD out of the netbook first, and then do something else?
The Bios is useless for that purpose. Period.
There are several ways to clone a HDD. You can run a Live system on your wrecked laptop, and transfer the contents of your HDD to an external disc, but you can also install that HDD into another (Desktop) computer and clone it there. Your choice.

You may have a look at Clonezillaand Parted Magic. These should do the job for you. Read the documentation carefully.

Michael

P.S.: I strongly advise to check the HDD preferably using the diagnostic software from the HDD manufacturer. Perhaps it had not survived the impact.

After the accident, the OP was still able to boot to Windows since he got a Windows error message about a device. I think the hard drive might be ok (might). I also think that the OP is confused about what the BIOS is. There was mention of ‘I don’t know how to do things from the c:> in BIOS’. There is no C:> prompt in the BIOS. It must be in something like DOS I would think.

@ the OP:
You get to the BIOS by pressing a special key while the computer is booting. Usually DELETE (DEL), F12, F10, etc… You can not do anything in the BIOS like you are suggesting.

I agree that what the OP suggests trying to do is not possible. You can not make a ‘mirror’ of the drive, install Windows 7 on another drive and then copy all the programs to the Windows 7. You will have to re-install the programs in the new Windows 7. You can only save your data (pictures, music, documents, etc…)

RM

[QUOTE=mciahel;2539049]the dd command run off a Linux system is able to do that.
The Bios is useless for that purpose. Period.
There are several ways to clone a HDD. You can run a Live system on your wrecked laptop, and transfer the contents of your HDD to an external disc, but you can also install that HDD into another (Desktop) computer and clone it there. Your choice.

You may have a look at Clonezillaand Parted Magic. These should do the job for you. Read the documentation carefully.

Michael

P.S.: I strongly advise to check the HDD preferably using the diagnostic software from the HDD manufacturer. Perhaps it had not survived the impact.[/QUOTE]
As much as I would love to install Linux, I believe that any installation process of any OS would format the HD and wipe out purchased programs, other software, and special files I created and freeware I downloaded off of the Internet. There are no backups of anything.

I could easily purchase another HD and simply replace the old one, but that would be a moot point since I can’t use the old one as I would a powered external HD.

I simply want to make an external HD a twin of the internal HD, so that I can format the internal HD, install a new OS, and plug the external HD to the netbook (which I believe would be still readable from the netbook once it is restored). I would then copy the files from the external HD, and find copies of all of the programs I have installed off of the Internet (I can’t remember which), and reinstall them from the original sources (which I saved in my Favorites and Bookmarks fiiles).

What I need is step-by-step instructions on what to do to clone the HD once I take it out of the computer.

Just put the linux install on a CD or DVD and then boot from it. Then you use whatever program you wish to make a copy of your original hard drive to an external hard drive. This software also should be on the CD or DVD that you are going to boot from. You do not need to install linux on your original hard drive. Just get the CD/DVD bootable and have all software you are going to need on it as well. It is much simpler that way.

It seems you now understand that you will need to re-install all your programs/software from scratch on the new Windows once you have it installed.

RM

Acronis will copy the whole HDD to an external HDD and let you transfer/copy data or all of it back to the original HDD.

[QUOTE=writejohnjones;2539063]As much as I would love to install Linux, I believe that any installation process of any OS would format the HD and wipe out purchased programs,[/quote]I did not talk about installation of anything. If you had checked the links I posted, you would have recognised that these are live systems that entirely run off the CD (or USB stick) without touching the HDD (unless you want to).

There are no backups of anything.
Then these data are unimportant by definition.

Michael