How do i convert mpg/avi files?

…how can i convert mpg back to avi…which software do i need??

i have downloaded some mpg video files but when i burn them to dvd they do not play,i can convert avi with avi2vcd with no problems but i just can not get the mpg files i have download to work,i was thinking if i could convert them into avi i could then put them through avi2vcd and burn them on to dvd that way…??

any help greatly appreciated,

dazza

VirtualDUB/NamDUB/VirtualDUBMod all will convert mpeg to AVI. But check out DVDLab for authoring your current mpegs to dvd files first. Converting mpeg -> avi -> mpeg2 will drop quality a lot.

i have downloaded an avi film file and encoded it with avi 2 vcd,svcd,dvd and i’ve done it with cucusoft avi 2 vcd dvd and end up with an mpg of the original avi then copy using nero as a data file and it won’t play on my house DVD, i also used tmg but i am now drowning in my own stupidity HELP!!! can anyone tell me how to convert an avi file into something i can burn to dvd and play in my pacific dvd player
thanks
styl3r

Although only VirtualDubMod will read MPEG-2 natively. :slight_smile:
To get a playable DVD use the wizard in TMPGEnc Plus and then author it using TMPGenc DVD Author for instance.
//Danne

Very few DVD Players will play raw MPEG files burnt to a dvr. As I said in my post above, get DVDLab and author the mpeg file to make a VIDEO_TS folder, then just burn that in Nero in DVD-Video mode.

thanks downloading dvdlabs on bit torrent then here we go let you know if i suceed
thanks
styl3r

THANKS CHICKMAN…YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A JEDI WHEN IT COMES TO ALL THIS.

ONE MORE STUPID QUESTION FOR YOU.

IF I HAVE AN MPG FILE THAT IS SAY 1.47GB,AND I IMPORT IT INTO NERO VISION,WHY DOES IT SAY IT IS TOO BIG TO FIT ONTO A 4.7GB DVD DISC… :confused:

ALSO,IS THERE ARE SOFTWARE THAT COMPRESSES MPG/AVI FILES FROM YOUR HARDDRIVE,ALL I CAN FIND IS ONES FOR DVD’S LIKE DVD SHRINK…

I’M SURE YOU’LL HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE I NEED,

THANKS AGIN,

DAZZA

The MPG file you have may be compressed and when burnt to DVD the transcoding process has to uncompress the file and save it as multiple .VOB’s.

Dazza, your Caps lock appears stuck, first thing you need is a new keyboard.

If its MPEG1 or 2, its compression is same as all mpeg1 or 2. What it might be is its a small sized mpeg1, such as 352x240/288, and its going to reencode it to a DVD at 720x480/576. Naturally it will grow in size.

I dont use (nor would I) NeroVision, its quality suc’s big time as far as I’m concerned.

As I have said before, just author the MPEG file with DVDLab. It does NOT reencode, just authors it to DVD form.

where can i find dvdlab to download…i’ve searched everwhere??

what software would you rewcommend for burning dvd’s to player on stand alone players??

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/
//Danne

:confused: hi can anyone help ive downloaded a avi film onto my hardrive but how do i convert it to go onto dvd please help :confused:

I’d suggest you start by reading the Tutorial section in the Video forum.