How do I convert DivX to VCD using CCE-SP. p.s. there is no guide

There’s no guide for DivX/XviD/ASF to VCD using CCE-SP, only using TMPGEnc. Please could someone help me with this, as I cannot work it out.
Thanx.
:bigsmile:

There is no guides anywhere on the Net because CCE makes absolutely shit quality VCD’s, thats why. CCE is only good for high bitrate stuff like SVCD’s and DVD’s. Stick with TMPGenc for VCD’s.

I wouldn’t say that CCE was only good at hight bitrate stuff. The whole point in using it for SVCD and DVD is that it handles low bitrate MPEG2 much better than TMPGEnc.

That said we are talking MPEG1 here, which I have not tried. No need for a specific guide though, all you need to do is make sure that your source is 352x288/240 with 44.1KHz audio and then select VCD in CCE.

If your source is AVI then just use AVISynth to resize, add borders, etc.

Originally posted by celtic_druid
[B]I wouldn’t say that CCE was only good at high bitrate stuff. …

That said we are talking MPEG1 here, which I have not tried.[/B]

Then I suggest you give it a try :cool: then you might see what I’m talking about.

Ok tried it and with the default matrix it was way blurrier than TMPGEnc, although using a custom matrix it was possible to retain just as much detail.

Try an action movie, something thats going to push the encoder to its limits.

The clarity of relatively still scenes I feel are way better than TMPGEnc output, but the whole pic breaks up in any fast action or even scene changes. The CBR of 1150 is just to low for CCE to handle it. I’m sure there can be lots of tweeks to improve it but I have never read ( and extensive reading I must say) anyone ever suceeding, I certainly havent.

Oh, is that why when I tried to encode Austin Powers, whenever something moved very fast accross the screen, the picture broke up?

Originally posted by mc_frink87
Oh, is that why when I tried to encode Austin Powers, whenever something moved very fast accross the screen, the picture broke up?

Exactly.

Did a quick test with a 3min fight scene and there was no real picture breakup or anything like that. The TMPGEnc encode definatly retained more detail though.

Here is two small clips from the cce encode:
http://members.optushome.com.au/cdromguide/clip01.mpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/cdromguide/clip02.mpg