How do i convert a VCD to DivX?

vbimport

Well,

I downloaded the DivX Pro 5.03 Codec & VirtualDub for P4.

Opened my VCD .DAT file from Virtual Dub & compressed it with DivX codec.

I selected the DivX Portable Profile & selected the maximum 768 Kbps.

The resultant file was nearly half of the original. Quality was the way I wanted.

Compressed the Audio with MP3 codec.

Well, I just wanted to know, if i did everything right & are there any optimisations/improvements that you would suggest ???

Also, whats the Enable Bidirectional Encoding Option ? I couldn’t figure out its use.

I did 1 pass encoding.

Also, how do i do, 2-pass VBR encoding. Is it of any use for VCD to DivX conversion.

Also, is Windows Media 9 better than DivX 5 Pro?

Just wanted to know before I backup my big VCD collection.

Thanks in advance.

:bigsmile:

No one interested in replying.

So, is it a boring topic or is my question a very simple/foolish one ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by TerminatorShawn
[B]No one interested in replying.

So, is it a boring topic or is my question a very simple/foolish one ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: [/B]

VCD is inferior compare to Divx - I don’t see why you want to convert MPEG1 to Divx. Maybe that’s why you don’t get replies…I honestly dunno for sure.

For a comprehensive conversion guide, you can try this link.

For a list of Divx features (including explanation of Bidirectional/B-Frames encoding option), click here.

Two pass encoding is not really needed for MPEG1 (VCD) to Divx conversion as VCD’s quality is considered worse than Divx.

There’s a good debate about WMV9 media quality but I can’t find it now - will post it as soon as I locate it.

//Update//
Here’s the link about that WM9 media quality debate. Read what Neo Neko (third reply) has to say about it - it’s a very good and thorough explanation.

Hope the above helps.

Originally posted by xox
[B]

VCD is inferior compare to Divx - I don’t see why you want to convert MPEG1 to Divx. Maybe that’s why you don’t get replies…I honestly dunno for sure.

For a comprehensive conversion guide, you can try this link.

For a list of Divx features (including explanation of Bidirectional/B-Frames encoding option), click here.

Two pass encoding is not really needed for MPEG1 (VCD) to Divx conversion as VCD’s quality is considered worse than Divx.

There’s a good debate about WMV9 media quality but I can’t find it now - will post it as soon as I locate it.

//Update//
Here’s the link about that WM9 media quality debate. Read what Neo Neko (third reply) has to say about it - it’s a very good and thorough explanation.

Hope the above helps. [/B]

Ok, First of all thank you for replying.

I know VCD is inferior to DivX.

Well, the reason I want to use DivX is to backup my big VCD collection.

I tried compressing a VCD-MPEG-1 file & the file sized reduced by about 50%. Now, this will enable me to fill one CD with 2 DivX files which equal = 2 VCDs.

One more thing. DVDs are not at all common in my part of the world. VCDs are dirt cheap & more importantly they are readily available.

So, my basic idea is to save on CD-Rs. I know CD-Rs are very cheap but, who doesn’t want to save. Also, I watch movies more on my PC or Laptop than on my VCD - Discman.