How Do I Check Burn Quality?

vbimport

How do I check the quality of a burn?

I just reflashed my Firmware and want to make sure I am getting quality burns. My Burner is a Lite-On 1633s flashed to the 1653s CSOT firmware.
I am burning to real Taiyo Yuden TYG03 DVD-R discs burned at 4x

I know I’ve seen this info before but I cannot seem to find it again.

Thanks in advance for the help,
-Matt in NH-

How do I check the quality of a burn?

I just reflashed my Firmware and want to make sure I am getting quality burns. My Burner is a Lite-On 1633s flashed to the 1653s CSOT firmware.
I am burning to real Taiyo Yuden TYG03 DVD-R discs burned at 4x

I know I’ve seen this info before but I cannot seem to find it again.

Thanks in advance for the help,
-Matt in NH-

Nero cd speed is the program you require.

I always use KProbe. Look here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=83441#media-kprobe
You can also use Nero CD-DVD Speed, you can find it here:
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

With both programs, you should set the scan speed to 4x. It’s the forum standard for LiteOn drives (except the new 5 and 6 series, they use 8x).
A dvd is considered good if PI < 280 and PIF < 4. Personally I prefer PI max. 100 and PIF max. 2. I always burn movies at 4x, my standalone likes no dvd’s burned at higher speeds, regardless of the quality of the scans.

:slight_smile: Leo

16x media to burn at 4x?
I personally think the lowest speed would be better at 8x.

[B]WeeDougie:[/B]
Ok - Using Nero CD / DVD Speed to check the burn quality.

Is there info on how to use, read and interpet the results from Nero CD / DVD Speed?

[B]Rapid Fire:[/B]
I am still kind of a newbie to DVD burning tweaks and the details of burning stratagies etc.

I thought slower was generally better - why would 8x be a better speed to burn at than the 4x? No disrespect intended by my question. I simply do not yet understand this stuff well enough and I am interested and eager to learn more about it…Interested to hear your thoughts (as well as from others) on the topic. Also, are there some articles or tutorials on this type of stuff as well?

The dye formulations of the discs are different. This is why most 8x media likes being burned at 8x. However, some 16x media might prefer being burned at 12x.
Also, different speeds = different write strategies (CAV, CLV, P-CAV, Z-CLV, Z-CAV…)

Ok - Now you’ve gone and done it…I’ve heard of all this but think it is over my head to start tweaking this stuff :wink:

Like kg_evilboy mentioned it depends also on the media. With quality media you can burn at its rated speed for example with TY 8x media at 8x and you’ll get perfect results. With 16x, yes i prefer to burn them at 12x to be on the safer side. And poor media it’s almost better to use lower burn speeds.

Is there info on how to read and interpet the results from Nero CD / DVD Speed?

The onboard manual only has info for CD’s even though it is for both CD’s and DVD’s…

Is there info on how to read and interpet the results from Nero CD / DVD Speed?
The onboard manual only has info for CD’s even though it is for both CD’s and DVD’s…

Look at here http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96285

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum msiler. :clap:
I’m surprised that no-one has suggested K-Probe, seeing as you’ve got a Lite-On. For more on K-Probe. Check it out & decide which to use/suits your needs. CD/DVDSpeed or K-Probe.

Try reading these threads:

Interpreting PI/PO error scans (for DVD scans)

Interpreting C1/C2 error scans (for CD scans)

msiler: We have merged your thread from the Newbie forum here. Please do not crosspost in the future. It will generate more work for our valuable members who may offer the same answer that has already been made in the other thread. Please read the forum rules for future reference. :cop:

ZEVIA - Sorry about the double post.

I thought the two forums different enough that a post in each might be appropriate. In the NEWBIE forum I thought it would help other newbies with the same question or problem and I also thought it specific enough to fit in the LITE-ON DVD section.