How do I change the default program associated w/ a drive?

My operating system is Vista.

I have autoplay configured to launch Arcsoft whenever I insert a Bluray or HDDVD into my LG drive.

However, if I open My Computer and right click the drive to play the disc WinDVD opens.

I don’t have WinDVD configured anywhere on my system to be the default program for anything, and it isn’t configured to run based on my autoplay settings.

Google searches return a bunch of irrelevant results and I can’t seem to find a setting anywhere on my computer to change the program that launches when I select my dvd drive.

Thank you.

Have you tried setting AutoPlay from the Control Panel?
It easier to find with Classic Veiw in CP.
Set it to play with the player you want for each type disc.
Personally I use Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer for DVD movie then there is no Play option for R click.

[QUOTE=cholla;2244499]Have you tried setting AutoPlay from the Control Panel?
It easier to find with Classic Veiw in CP.
Set it to play with the player you want for each type disc.
Personally I use Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer for DVD movie then there is no Play option for R click.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, however this is not an Autoplay setting. All settings in Autoplay have been configured properly. I have tried resetting them and even removing all default media types associated with WinDVD.

I am not trying to change the file types/content associated with a program.

I am trying to change the program assocated with my DVD Drive.

I never used WinDVD so i have no idea how it works, but did you check in WinDVD preferences if there is some option to remove association with BD contents?

Alternatively, maybe you can create a customized item in the right-click menu with the free tool Fast Explorer 2008 so you can open Arcsoft from the right-click menu :slight_smile:

@ Analogic,

Perhaps viewing below Web Link will be helpful to you in correcting your problem ->

Also the below Web Page details how to change file extension associations in Windows Vista ->

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6172036.html

On a different note a wise informed prudent user should never have ‘Auto Play’ enabled. With the real threat of ‘RootKit’ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit) and other similar malicious malware software programs if ‘AutoPlay’ is enabled you could easily unknowingly install malicious RootKit and other similar malware programs.

The safe prudent means to play/view/record CD/DVD content is to insert the CD/DVD Media Disk into your Optical Drive and then manually start the Play/Viewing/Recording Software Program and then manually select the specific item you what to play/view/record.

That is the wise safe prudent manner in which you should have your Computer configured to operate. This prevents unknowingly installing malicious malware software programs.

Regards,
bjkg

@bjkg;AutoPlay isn’t even an option when I insert a DVD not on the toolbar or right click.
If you select Play from right click it gives this message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Your MS link is based on file association.My self I think this is what controls the auto association & in this case WinDVD.
The OP doesn’t think that is the problem.