How do i change 14.985fps to NTSC?

vbimport

if anyone knows how to help me i would be really appreciative, thanks. :slight_smile:

i have an .avi file which is 14.985fps. i desperately need to convert it to dvd and i have no idea how to do this, i’ve searched around but to no avail. i do know how to convert avi’s to dvd… it’s just the framerate i am having a problem with, because DVD2SVCD won’t tolerate 14.985fps. (i make dvd’s via chickenmas guide if you need to know that information) :wink: yes, it isn’t what i would consider a good quality picture, but it is something my brother did which all the family want copies of. i know the simplest thing would be to convert it to vcd, but not everyone in the family has the ability to play vcd’s, whereas everyone can play dvd’s.

thanks, as always, for any suggestions

eli

14.985??

try it with TMPGenc

thanks damiandimitri :slight_smile:

i know i can convert a 14.985fps .avi file into a 29.97fps .mpeg file via TMPGEnc. but because i want to convert it to a dvd i was wondering if there was any way i could keep it as an .avi file? yes, i know i can author .mpeg files to dvd, but i find there is quite a large drop in quality and because the source file is already not of the best quality i was trying to avoid this. also, i wanted to add chapters to the dvd, and although i can do this with .avi files, i don’t know how to do that with .mpeg files.

is there any way to do this that you know of or is the only option to convert to .mpeg?.. or am just being totally thick (again) :wink:

thanks again

eli

dvd is mpeg2…or you most have one of the new divx compatible dvd players

the way i make dvd’s is to convert through DVD2SVCD, then author through TMPGEnc DVD Author to create my .IFO etc files. i (personally) find this way to give the best results, both quality wise and because you can play around much more with chapters, menu’s etc. you can’t do it this way if you have an .mpeg file… at least as far as i know anyway but i am far from being an expert on the subject! with .mpeg files you can just de-mux then author, but i find the quality drops significantly when you do it that way.

but if that is all i can do with a 14.985fps avi file then i guess i will have to just accept the inevitable!

thanks for your help, as always, it’s much appreciated.

eli

you aré welcome

As I said in your last post chances are that it is just a crappy VCD re-encode and I wouldn’t bother doing anything with it.

As I also said it came from an NTSC source but has had its framerate decimated by 2. There is nothing you can really do about the missing frames. You could either just use duplicate frames or have blended, etc. frames. Neither is going to look good.

DVD2SVCD uses either TMPGEnc or CCE for encoding and uses AVISynth to frameserve. I would suggest dropping DVD2SVCD and using AVISynth and CCE on their own, unless DVD2SVCD has an option to manually edit the AVISynth script so that you can change the framerate.

As I said in my last thread, i was aware that 14.985fps an NTSC source that had its framerate decimated by 2. As i said on this thread, this is something my brother did. it is not a ‘crappy VCD re-encode’ but a recording of my brother and his family who live in America and we rarely get to see, so regardless of the quality of the source file, i thought it would be nice for all the family to have copies of it, as i said, on DVD rather than VCD, and just thought i would ask if anyone knew of another way, other than just using TMPGEnc (which doesn’t give very good results for DVD).

thanks anyway

eli

As I said in my last thread, i was aware that it was an NTSC source that had its framerate decimated by 2.

No in your last thread you asked what it was and I told you.

As i said on this thread, it is something my brother did. it is not a ‘crappy VCD re-encode’ but a recording of my brother and his family who live in America and we rarely get to see

Sorry, but in your original thread you described it as something that you just downloaded, not how I would describe something that I got from my brother, even if I had downloaded it. I mean why didn’t you just ask him about it instead of starting a thread asking what it was?

and just thought i would ask if anyone knew of another way, other than just using TMPGEnc (which doesn’t give very good results for DVD).

As I said use CCE and AVISynth, although you might need to change the length of the audio slightly, however it would only be like 0.02% or so.

Originally posted by celtic_druid
[B]

No in your last thread you asked what it was and I told you.

[/b]

actually, i stated it was quite obvious that it was half of NTSC after you asked me if i could do simple multiplication. I was simply asking ‘what 14.985fps’ was because there was no template for a NTSC/2 template in TMPGEnc and wondered if i could get one.

Sorry, but in your original thread you described it as something that you just downloaded, not how I would describe something that I got from my brother, even if I had downloaded it. I mean why didn’t you just ask him about it instead of starting a thread asking what it was?

the last thread was about a different file, one that i have since settled on encoding to VCD. This thread was about the file my brother sent me. as for asking him about it, i did, and he didn’t do it a friend did.

As I said use CCE and AVISynth, although you might need to change the length of the audio slightly, however it would only be like 0.02% or so.

i will try that, thank you for the suggestion

eli