How do I burn whole surface of disc when movie does not take up whole disc?

vbimport

As per the title

Im a bit of a newbie to burning DVDs so was wondering if it was possible to do this ?

Usually when a movie does not require the whole disc to store it you end up with a “demarkation” line i.e. the burned area is lighter than the remaining unburned area

Is there any simple way to force the rest of the disc to be burned with dud data so there is no demarkation line ?

I usually use ImgBurn for burning but I also have Nero & DVDshrink available

There probably is, but as you said you are a newbie, so my simple answer would be no.

You could create an ISO image, then use DVDisaster to expand the ISO image wth additional error correction information, using the Augmented image (RS02) storage method, then burn the resulting ISO image to DVD with e.g. ImgBurn.

Performing this additional step takes approx. 15 minutes on my Pentium 4 2.8 GHz but varies with how much ECC information needs to be added.

I do this all the time, but not for the purpose of avoiding one part of the disc appearing lighter than the other.

ok… I’ll bite…

someone tell me the reason for "filling up the whole disk " .

Is it really to blend the whole burned side evenly? and the advantage is??

real question here because I have never heard this before…

dragemester:
would really like to know your reason on this…

Hmm I believe discjuggler pro will do this it will add dummy datato fill the disc it will be in the optimise for cav drives option

Optimize for CAV drives:
Most newer drives use Constant Angular Velocity (CAV). This new technology causes the disc to spin at a constant angular speed. Before, disc drives used to be Constant Linear Velocity (CLV). The advantage of CAV is that drives do not need to constantly change speed and therefore they are simpler to produce, faster and cheaper. Since the data density on the disc is constant across the whole area, the “net” effect of CAV is that read speed on the inner edge of the disc is much slower that on the outer edge. This is why drive manufacturers often declare the read speed of their drives to be for example 14x-40x where 14x is the read speed at the beginning of the disc and 40x is the read speed at the outer edge.
If the data disc that you are burning is not full by selecting this option you will allow DiscJuggler to generate an appropriate number of dummy (empty) blocks at the beginning of the recording process thus moving your data as close as possible to the outer edge disc where the read speed is highest.
Additionally, you can using DiscJuggler’s integrated disc layout to prioritize the files being written to disc. By doing this you can precisely place most important files on areas of the disc with the highest read speed.
Keep in mind that you will be not able to add additional information to disc after writing with this option

Why bother?

But if you want to add data, just import some VTSs from any DVD project using PgcEdit or DVDRMP (this will take about 1 minute, except for the calculation of what you need). The titlesets will be unreferenced.

But again, why bother? It’s good to have free space at the edge.

And rayw, the best place for your data is on the inside, not the outer - the latter is where errors are most apparent, especially on cheaper media. Remember, for a DVD Video, it is played back at 1x, not 12 :slight_smile:

Regards

[quote=rago88;2140298]dragemester:
would really like to know your reason on this…[/quote] Reason 1: The added ECC information means improved chances of recovering the disc if it’s damaged.

Reason 2: Better to use the full disc when testing media, since problems are usually found at the outer edge.

[I]ok…thanks drag & blu

learn something new every day…[/I]

[QUOTE=blutach;2140542]Why bother?

But if you want to add data, just import some VTSs from any DVD project using PgcEdit or DVDRMP (this will take about 1 minute, except for the calculation of what you need). The titlesets will be unreferenced.

But again, why bother? It’s good to have free space at the edge.

And rayw, the best place for your data is on the inside, not the outer - the latter is where errors are most apparent, especially on cheaper media. Remember, for a DVD Video, it is played back at 1x, not 12 :slight_smile:

Regards[/QUOTE]
I agree blue I was just quoting the easeist way to fill the disc I myself never use this option, I prefer not to fill the whole disc
cheers mate

hey blutach,

your comments were replied with an agree and thank you. thats different. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

nice to see you by-the-way.

Very different troy, esp here :smiley: :smiley:

And very nice to see you, too mate.

And cheers to rayw, too :slight_smile:

Regards