How do I burn Pipedreams archives to CD

Greetings to all forum members,
Having just joined, I am hoping that I can find the info I need to successfully burn CD’s from streaming audio, namely the archives from the public radio program web site “Pipedreams” which is aired weekly over FM radio.

To date I have tried to do this many times but all attemps have failed. I wish to do this in the WAV format so that the fidelity is the best it can be. I do have Audacity but I have been unable to get Pipedreams into it.

I hope someone can help me with a tutorial on how this is done. I am not the most computer savey person on the block when it comes to this type of thing and most likely I am making this harder than it really is.

When I conquer this one, I would like to do the same thing but make the recordings on audio DVD’s due to the extra time available on the DVD media but first I need to learn CD’s.

With Audacity are you setting the project rate(in the lower left corner) to 44100 ?
Before you export it as a .WAV file.

No, I don’t think I did. That’s why I need a complete tutorial to guide me every step of the way or I will never figure this out. I like what computers can do but they need to be made more user friendly for people like me.

I will help if I can but I’m certainly not an expert at this.
A couple of questions:
Where do you want to play these ?
Meaning just on the computer or other CD players ?
I ask because some older CD players won’t play recordable disc & most won’t RW discs.

On the DVD I think only your computer will play it.
You would write the .wav files to the DVD as a data disc.
It’s not that the DVD playing units couldn’t do this but don’t due to RIAA interference in this.
The same way you can’t write .mp3 to a DVD disc that will play on anything but a computer.

What are you using to write(burn) the .wav files to a CD -R?

btw I was able to burn a .wav to a CD -RW with no problem from a Pipedream test I did with Audacity.
To record the .wav with Audacity just hit the record button in Audacity. Let it record what you want then hit stop.
Then with Audacity select File Export as WAV.Save it to a folder on your HD.
That should give you a writeable .wav file.
Of course it has to be small enough to fit on a CD -R disc.So not over 700MB.
If what you have is larger you will have to break it up with Audacity into smaller files.

Cholla, many thanks for your reply. I played around with this tonight and was able to record a test segment of Pipedreams into Audacity but that is as far as I can go.

I can use Windows Media Player or Nero to burn a CD-R disc thru my built in CD RW/DVD burner but I can’t figure out how to get the Audacity recording into Windows Media Player or Nero Start Smart so I can burn a disc. I would like to be able to burn a disc that will play on any home or car CD player.

I will go from there.
As Above make sure to set the project rate(in the lower left corner) to 44100 .That is standard CD rate.
Then in the File pulldown in Audacity version 1.2.6 . Select “Export as wav”.
Then put it in a folder you can find or create a New folder.
You should have it a .wav file in it.
If you have Audacity version 1.3.4-beta (Unicode) it is a little different.
Lower left corner setting is the same.
You might have a different version but it should be close to one of those.
The File pulldown just has Export.The the “Save as type” Pulldown is where you Select WAV . Then Save.
You should now have a .wav file in a folder.
This file has to be less than 700MB or some less than whatever CD -R you are using.
I don’t have Nero.I have a couple of burning programs but lets go with Windows Media Player if since you have it.
My version is 11 so I hope yours is the same or the instructions are close enough.
Open WMP .
You can just drag the file into the WMP Burn list or you can use the File pulldown/Open the file.
Then click on Burn ‘Now Playing’ . Then Start Burn.
That should put in on a CD -R or CD -RW.
I would advise getting a CD -RW to practice with.
I hope that gets you started.

I have a paid software program for doing CD &DVD burns named Burnaware & a freeware Burrrn.I can usually make Burrrn work but it’s hard to explain how.For my OS it’s not just a load & burn program.

Following your kind instructions, I failed on the first try. I was not able to get the hang of saving and exporting to WMP. Some how the date files and the au files became seperated. I read where these two files can be recovered but haven’t tried it yet.

The loss is no big deal but I want to learn how to accomplish the recovery also. This is totally frustrating but I am determined to figure it out. I will keep you informed. Thank you for your help. I have searched around the Audacity Forum and I see I am not alone in my frustrations. :sunglasses:

stamp.train;Maybe I should have just did the Audacity part first. You Export as wav to a folder on your hard drive.
After you have recorded the pipedreams broadcast with Audacity.

For the ease of doing this(you can move it later):
Right click on your Desktop/Select New then Folder /Name it pipedreams.
Export as wav to the pipedreams folder.

Step 2.
Drag the .wav file from that folder into WMP Burn list .
Start Burn.
What version of Audacity are you using?
What version of WMP are you using?

Following your latest, I managed to fail again. Here’s what I did:
Made new test recording of Pipedreams. After about 45 mins. hit stop button. Then created a new folder on the desktop called “Pipedreams Test”. Went back to my Audacity recording and under file, clicked on “export to wav” and saved to my “Pipedreams Test” folder. Next I opened up WMP and clicked on “Burn” and tried to drag my file into the “burn list” but it would not go. Tried it several times but it would not go. Then being totally frustrated, I deleted everything.

Some day I hope program designers make software that work as easily as the good old analog days. They need to realize that not everybody has a degree in computer technology. I’m about ready to go back to tape recording and forget this crap. Sorry for my negativity. I am very appreciative of your efforts to help me but I am so worn out with not being able to master this procedure that I am about ready to give up on it and stop punishing myself.

stamp.train ; Sorry you’re still having problems with this.
I will try a Pipedreams of about the same amount of time.
I suspect that 45 minutes produced a .wav file too large to burn to a CD -R .
Since I will be testing on a CD -RW it will be some smaller on the MB’s that the ones I have hold.(650MB) & I usually keep it a little under the max in case there is any extra data .
Still need to know what WMP & Audacity versions you are using.

Thanks for sticking with me. I’m using 1.2.6 Audacity and WMP 11. I have stuck with it bitching all the way and standing on my head five different ways LOL and finally was able to get a test recording into the WMP burn list but after clicking on Start Burn another blasted road block. Now I need “burn rights” before I can go any further. A good stand up comedian could make a very funny schetch out of this. What in blue blazes is burn rights. I think I’ll warn up my cassette deck. Give me a break!

stamp.train ; I’m also using WMP 11 & Audacity 1.2.6 for this.
I recorded 40 minutes of pipedreams Gloria today with Audacity.
The .wav file is 400MB so I think I could have done 60 minutes.
I dragged the .wav file into the burn list & then to make sure I removed it .I then File/Open the file & chose Now Playing.It loaded no problem either way in the burn list.
I then did a Start Burn & it burned the file to the CD -RW with no warnings about burn rights.
I have a lot of software on my OS so it’s possible I have “burn rights” for some other program that makes WMP work.
Here is my suggestion record some of just Gloria! from the pipedreams site then try to burn just that.
If you still get a “burn rights” warning it probably would be the same for any .wav file.That’s my best guess for now.
There is a freeware program Burrrn you might try.It can be a little tempermental it is for me.Usually going to settings & checking Raw Driver will get it to burn.Funny thing is I can leave it unchecked most of the time.
For you leave the SPTI checked I have installed the older ASPI layer so I leave it unchecked.Vista doesn’t come that way though.
What OS are you using?
If all that doesn’t get you something burned you can use.If there is an error number of more information about the “burn rights” warning I will try to find something on it.

stamp.train ; I’m also using WMP 11 & Audacity 1.2.6 for this.
I recorded 40 minutes of pipedreams Gloria today with Audacity.
The .wav file is 400MB so I think I could have done 60 minutes.
I dragged the .wav file into the burn list & then to make sure I removed it .I then File/Open the file & chose Now Playing.It loaded no problem either way in the burn list.
I then did a Start Burn & it burned the file to the CD -RW with no warnings about burn rights.
I have a lot of software on my OS so it’s possible I have “burn rights” for some other program that makes WMP work.
Here is my suggestion record some of just Gloria! from the pipedreams site then try to burn just that.
If you still get a “burn rights” warning it probably would be the same for any .wav file.That’s my best guess for now.
There is a freeware program Burrrn you might try.It can be a little tempermental it is for me.Usually going to settings & checking Raw Driver will get it to burn.Funny thing is I can leave it unchecked most of the time.
For you leave the SPTI checked I have installed the older ASPI layer so I leave it unchecked.Vista doesn’t come that way though.
What OS are you using?
If all that doesn’t get you something burned you can use.If there is an error number of more information about the “burn rights” warning I will try to find something on it.

My OS is XP. Guess I will have to jump thru another hoop and find something that will un-lock “burn rights”. I tried duplicating your methods but I still got blocked by burn rights (BR from now on). Thanks.

stamp.train ;You can try to fix WMP so it will have BR .Until then I’m going to suggest trying a burn with ImgBurn.
I’m posting a link to download it & another link to the ImgBurn forum.
It is a guide by the creater of ImgBurn on how to burn a CD with ImgBurn.I don’t think you will need BR with it.

download address Select download at top .I usually use mirror # 7

http://www.imgburn.com/

CD burning guide

I’m puzzled about available recording time on CD’s. A store bought CD lasts 80 minutes and has very good quality audio. In my attempts to make my Pipedreams recordings with .wav, I am running into another road block which is not having enough available time to record my program on a CD. I don’t understand what is happening. For example; during one attemp I had recorded a test segment of approx. 20 mins. and when I went to burn it, the computer said I didn’t have enough space on the disc to do a burn. I think it said my program was 800 - 900 MB. Does this mean that .wav eats up much more space than the format that is being used on professional CD’s?? If this is true, then I will need to re-think this whole thing because Pipedreams programs are two hours long and will never fit on a CD unless I use compression and I am trying to avoid that. I have to admit that I have heard some MP3’s that sound pretty good but just the fact that they are compressed has kept me from using that format. I like to have my recordings of the best quality available. What are your feelings on this?

stamp.train ;I’m not an expert & if anyone wants to or has a more correct explanation they are more that welcome to post it.
I will start with this DO NOT TRY TO BURN MORE MB THAT THE DISC SIZE.This can damage your actual drive.
Here is some of what I know about commercial(store) CDs:
They are pressed not burned.That allows for the tracks to be tighter.
The .cda you see when you view one are track pointers not the actual files. When you play one in VLC you will see that it is :
1411kb/s 44100 Hz 16bit 2 channel.
That is what you want to match your .wav file to.
Now back to doing the Pipedreams recordings you want.If you want them in wav format you will only be able to use 1 CD disc per hour for a standard 700 MB.Actually you can get close to the 80 minutes but not 2 hours .So why not split them & have room on the disc.
There are longer CDs but all players will not play them.
Also I noticed quite a bit of talk on the Pipedreams recording with some practice with Audacity you could edit that out for a shorter recording.
For doing it with mp3 that would work & unless your hearing is very good you will not hear much difference if you keep the mp3 bit rate at least 192 for the bit rate.The problem with mp3 is not all cd players will play it.
I think you need to make a couple of settings in Audacity to get the wav size where it should be.
Try these :
Edit/Preferences/Quality
Default Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Default Sample Format: 16-bit
Real­time sample rate converter: High-quality Sinc Interpolation
High­quality sample rate converter: High-quality Sinc Interpolation
Real­time dither: None
High­quality dither: Triangle
/ File Formats
Uncompressed Export Format
WAV (Microsoft 16 bit PCM)
WAV (Microsoft), Signed 16 bit PCM
Those settings should have the .wav file size at approx 10MB per minute.
That matches a commercial CD as close as possible.I suppose it could be dropped to 8bit.I haven’t tried & quality would be lost.I don’t know if it would even burn that way.
So give that a try.See if it is what you want.
Did you try the burn with ImgBurn or did you get WMP to do it ?

Did you try the burn with ImgBurn or did you get WMP to do it ?

No, I haven’t tried it yet. Wasn’t sure I would need it so I just put it on a back burner for now. Is ImgBurn a complete burnware or just a player? Thanks for all the great info. I think I’m going to have to look into MP3’s since I don’t like the idea of multiple CD’s just for one Pipedreams program. Editing out all of the talk would take too much time but maybe what I should do once I get this proceess honed to where I can do it repeatedly, would be to listen to the program first on FM the night that it is aired, then make notes on what selections I would like to save. Then go back to the arkive and record only that selection and evenually fill up a CD that way with just my favorites.

Right now, I am still working on WMP burn rights and I’ve tried burning with Nero and the block there is that I need a “dedicated plug-in”. This computer stuff is nuts. It’s a good thing I am retired and have time to “play” with computers otherwise this would put me in the funny farm. LOL

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that WMP won’t let me do an MP3 either. I need something else to do that. Yikes I’m surrounded.

stamp.train ;ImgBurn is a complete burner.There are a lot of guides for what it will do.That’s why I only posted a link for doing a CD.
It is not a player at all & doesn’t even have a preview.
I have made multi album cd’s in mp3 & I’m satisfied with the results.
You will find people on both sides.I would stay at 192 bit rate or above but not much above.
One of the software I use for the multialbum CDs used to be freeware but because the mp3 codec now requires a liscense purchase by the software creator almost any software that can write mp3 is now commercial.
Some of the converters like Audacity seem to get around it but they don’t write to disc.
The only problem with mp3 on a CD is not all players will play them especially older ones.On the computer this is not a problem.What won’t play mp3s on CD -R are older portable , home & car CD players.
So make sure yours will if you need them to.
A lot of settop DVD players will also play them on CD.
Most won’t on DVD due to lawsuits by the RIAA over this.
If you just want to listen on your computer then DVDs hold a lot more & play fine.The same for a hard drive.An external USB hard drive like the ones that are available now up to a TB aren’t too expensive probably would hold all the music you would want.In almost any format.
I haven’t used it yet but if more non computer players start being able to play FLAC I will try it.I probably will check it out on the computer even before that.
I know my WMP will burn .wav but I guess I need to see if it will burn mp3.