How do I burn 8GB of mp4 video files onto a DVD (that can be played on a standard DVD player)

Hello,

I bought a SONY camera that makes up to 10 minute movies. I used it to record some 2 hour classes and would like to merge all of the mp4 files and burn them onto a single DVD. Trouble is they add up to almost 8GB.
I have Moviefactory 6/7 and can burn up to 4+GB of mp4 files onto a DVD, but it apparently doesn’t shrink. Nor can I get it to merge.
I think Nero 8/9 shrinks, but it won’t read mp4 video files (Nero Vision), at least not SONY’s.
I thought about having Moviefactory “burn” onto a virtual drive, and then using something like CloneDVD to compress the resulting “virtual DVD” to exactly 4.7GB, but Moviefactory doesn’t recognize virtual drives for writing its result (and there is no option to create a VIDEO_TS on your hard disk).
Short of burning the thing on a DVD DL and then using CloneDVD to shrink it (which since I cannot reuse a DVD DL would be prohibitively expensive), I can’t find a clean way to solve this problem. Using an intermediate step of converting the mp4 files to avi would probably significantly reduce their quality. And I am not even sure Nero Vision compresses…

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

DJ

No matter how you do it you cannot shrink 8GB down to 4GB with out a loss of quality. What not just use 2 SL disks?

Thanks for the suggestion. It has been my experience that trying to explain why each class recording requires 2 disks to a 60 year old professor… they just don’t get it. They think I am incompetent (which perhaps I am). At any rate, I would like to squeeze it onto one disk with the least possible loss of quality. My experience has been that CloneDVD gives really excellent quality, even when the original disk is over 8GB. The trick is: how do I get my mp4 files into a format that CloneDVD can work on? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As noted above, you[B] will[/B] lose quality when compressing 8GB of video to 4GB file size…That being said, there are apps and methods that will give you good/decent quality output…Try this app, for instance, load/append your mp4s and choose the output format and size required…Good luck!..

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic357763.html

[QUOTE=dj11k;2223379]Thanks for the suggestion. It has been my experience that trying to explain why each class recording requires 2 disks to a 60 year old professor… they just don’t get it. They think I am incompetent (which perhaps I am). At any rate, I would like to squeeze it onto one disk with the least possible loss of quality. My experience has been that CloneDVD gives really excellent quality, even when the original disk is over 8GB. The trick is: how do I get my mp4 files into a format that CloneDVD can work on? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
What is the total [B]running time[/B] of these 8GB’s? Are you trying to make a playable, normal DVD for standalones?

That can never ever work, because first you need a DL (which not even all dvd standlones can “play”) and secondly you need to create a FAKE VideoDVD with a small “video” on it as menu and you also need to convert ALL the songs into mpeg1 layer TWO format.

Check out the AUDIO section, there is a big thread about it.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2223637]What is the total [B]running time[/B] of these 8GB’s? Are you trying to make a playable, normal DVD for standalones?[/QUOTE]
The running time is slightly less than 2 hours (on average). My goal is to lose as little quality as possible. Copy programs likeCloneDVD and DVDNextCopy seem to have excellent shrinking algorithms. The problem is giving them something to work with. I am looking for something like MovieFactory which has the option to “fit to size,” i.e. 4.7GB. Many thanks for any ideas.

[QUOTE=dj11k;2223913]The running time is slightly less than 2 hours (on average). My goal is to lose as little quality as possible. Copy programs likeCloneDVD and DVDNextCopy seem to have excellent shrinking algorithms. The problem is giving them something to work with. I am looking for something like MovieFactory which has the option to “fit to size,” i.e. 4.7GB. Many thanks for any ideas.[/QUOTE]
Yes. I am trying make something my teacher can pop into his DVD player at home and watch on his TV.

Here are some freeware apps you can play around with.
Super and Format Factory use a GUI.
FFmpeg is command line only.

http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html
http://www.formatoz.com/
http://ffmpeg.org/

FAVC wil convert your MP4 to a standard size DVD. I’ve included a link to a guide.

http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

[QUOTE=chef;2223644]That can never ever work, because first you need a DL (which not even all dvd standlones can “play”) and secondly you need to create a FAKE VideoDVD with a small “video” on it as menu and you also need to convert ALL the songs into mpeg1 layer TWO format.

Check out the AUDIO section, there is a big thread about it.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the reply. I can make a DVD with slightly over an hour from the mp4 video files using MovieFactory. I can also burn the files I want (close to 2 hours) onto a DL DVD and then “copy” it using CloneDVD onto a nearly identical quality 4.7GB DVD and play it on a standard DVD player. But this wastes the DL DVD everytime I do it, and I have 30 or 40 such DVDs I need to burn. What I would like to do is bypass the burning to DL DVD. Any help would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2223918]Here are some freeware apps you can play around with.
Super and Format Factory use a GUI.
FFmpeg is command line only.

http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html
http://www.formatoz.com/
http://ffmpeg.org/

FAVC wil convert your MP4 to a standard size DVD. I’ve included a link to a guide.

http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

Many thanks! I will take a look at them this weekend. Sounds like exactly what I need.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=dj11k;2223926]Thank you for the reply. I can make a DVD with slightly over an hour from the mp4 video files using MovieFactory. I can also burn the files I want (close to 2 hours) onto a DL DVD and then “copy” it using CloneDVD onto a nearly identical quality 4.7GB DVD and play it on a standard DVD player. But this wastes the DL DVD everytime I do it, and I have 30 or 40 such DVDs I need to burn. What I would like to do is bypass the burning to DL DVD. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Something sounds wrong, I assume you are talking about Ulead Movie Factory? There must be a place to set the video bitrate to enable a 2 hour project to fit on to a SL disc… there has to be. They may be presets, High Quality, Extended play etc. There also has to be an option to save to the HD as files or an ISO. Do you have a manual?

I got this from a PDF at Ulead.

[I]Burning your disc

This is the final step in the disc-authoring process. In Press Burn button to
create a DVD (Step: 3/3), specify the settings for burning your videos or
creating disc image files.

To burn your project onto a DVD:

1. Specify the settings of your burning device in Disc burner.
    • Label Enter a volume name of up to 32 characters onto the CD/DVD/HD
    DVD.
    • Drive Select the disc burner that you want to use to burn the video file.
    • Copies Set the number of disc copies to burn.
    • Disc type Displays the output disc format for the current project.
  2. Select your burning tasks and other output options. Click / to show/hide
    output options.
    • Create to disc Select to burn your video project onto a disc[/I]

[I]• [B]Create DVD/HD DVD folders [/B]This option is only enabled when the video file
being created is a DVD/HD DVD video. This allows the user to view the
finished file on the computer using a DVD player software.

• [B]Create disc image[/B] Select this option if you plan to burn the video file several
times. By selecting this option, you don’t have to generate the file again when
you want to burn the same video file.[/I]

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2223956]Something sounds wrong, I assume you are talking about Ulead Movie Factory? There must be a place to set the video bitrate to enable a 2 hour project to fit on to a SL disc… there has to be. They may be presets, High Quality, Extended play etc. There also has to be an option to save to the HD as files or an ISO. Do you have a manual?

I got this from a PDF at Ulead.

[I]Burning your disc

This is the final step in the disc-authoring process. In Press Burn button to
create a DVD (Step: 3/3), specify the settings for burning your videos or
creating disc image files.

To burn your project onto a DVD:

1. Specify the settings of your burning device in Disc burner.
    • Label Enter a volume name of up to 32 characters onto the CD/DVD/HD
    DVD.
    • Drive Select the disc burner that you want to use to burn the video file.
    • Copies Set the number of disc copies to burn.
    • Disc type Displays the output disc format for the current project.
  2. Select your burning tasks and other output options. Click / to show/hide
    output options.
    • Create to disc Select to burn your video project onto a disc[/I]

[I]• [B]Create DVD/HD DVD folders [/B]This option is only enabled when the video file
being created is a DVD/HD DVD video. This allows the user to view the
finished file on the computer using a DVD player software.

• [B]Create disc image[/B] Select this option if you plan to burn the video file several
times. By selecting this option, you don’t have to generate the file again when
you want to burn the same video file.[/I][/QUOTE]
Ten thousand thanks. This is the perfect solution I was looking for. I must have looked at that fifty times and for some reason it never clicked. I have learned my lesson… if all else fails, read the manual.

[QUOTE=dj11k;2223926]Thank you for the reply. I can make a DVD with slightly over an hour from the mp4 video files using MovieFactory. I can also burn the files I want (close to 2 hours) onto a DL DVD and then “copy” it using CloneDVD onto a nearly identical quality 4.7GB DVD and play it on a standard DVD player. But this wastes the DL DVD everytime I do it, and I have 30 or 40 such DVDs I need to burn. What I would like to do is bypass the burning to DL DVD. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my bad. I referred to mp3 files…

You mean mp4, aka mpeg4 video stuff.
Depending on what space/discs you need for the output/target is the bitrate & resolution you choose for the target/conversion.
You can even choose mpeg1 for DVD aswell as the standard mpeg2 up to 720x576 (when used PAL), NTSC differs a bit.

[B]I would also try with SUPER.
It is free and working well.[/B]