How do I back up a DVD?

Currently I have a single layer DVD burner and use Smartripper to rip the DVD and DVD2ONE to do any needed compression and CopyToDVD to write to the DVD. This is all well and fine, but what if the DVD being backed up is less than 4.7gb and can fit on a single DVD-R? I can easily backup a non-protected DVD, but what do I do if it’s copyprotected? DVD2ONE does all the compression for me and puts all the needed files into a VIDEO_TS directory for me which CopyToDVD automatically burns (I’ve only backed up DVD’s larger than 4.7gb and have always used this method).

Do I still rip the dvd using smartripper and then copy all the files to a VIDEO_TS directory and burn that directory to a DVD-R? If so great. If not then what do I do? Should I be using programs like AnyDVD and CloneDVD? If so, does CloneDVD remove the CSS or do I need to use it in conjunction with AnyDVD?

Is the AnyDVD, CloneDVD combo like the Smartripper, DVD2ONE combo? Meaning one program rips the DVD and the other gets it ready to be put onto a DVD-R?

try me

1. DVDShrink is a good software to use, Ghosters wrote a great guide, I assume you checked the link.

2. AnyDVD, CloneDVD2. Actually the best software to my mind. Check them out at: www. slysoft.com.

you can use dvd decrypter and dvd shrink together. use dvd decrypter to rip,dvd
shrink to reencode, and dvd decrypter to burn.