How do I add PGCs to DVDs?

vbimport

I removed PGCs when ripping some DVDs using DVDFab by checking off the box to remove annoying PGCs (like FBI warnings), but now without re-ripping how could I add the original PGCs it removed back to the DVDs?

I apologize if I am in the wrong place posting my thread, please forgive me and kindly please move my thread to the right place. Thank you! :slight_smile:

No one?

Do you have the PGC’s that you removed intact and separate from the original DVD?

You might look at PGCEdit or DVDRemake Pro, but really, it is [B]far simpler[/B] to just rip the movie again without removing anything.

No, I do not have them saved separate.

And how do I use either one of those to add PGCs?

You’ll have to do your own research on using those two tools. I’m merely pointing out two of the better programs for manipulating DVD-video structure for you.

Unless you really want to dive headfirst into learning DVD-video structural elements, you’d be much better off ripping the DVD again. I suspect it will take a couple of weeks to really get a handle on the complexities of those two programs. And DVDRebuilder Pro is not free.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this and various PMs, I’ve been away for a couple of days.

When you delete a PGC both the PGC itself and all the information relating to it is removed as the software is designed to do a very thorough job of this.

What you’re trying to do is pretty much impossible as you’d have to reconstruct the missing structure and replicate the menu commands completely from scratch without having anything to base this on and without knowing what was originally there.

r0lZ is the ultimate expert in PgcEdit as he is the author of the package and if he can’t think of a way of doing it then you can be sure it’s pretty much impossible.

The simplest and best answer is to re-rip the original DVD without removing anything then remove only the unwanted PGCs with PgcEdit.

It’s a much more effective and flexible way of doing this rather than using any of the removal tools built into DVD ripping programs.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I understand. Thank you!

[QUOTE=php111;2734894]I understand. Thank you![/QUOTE]

No problem, it’s just a pity we can’t find a solution.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler .
In my test rips with DVDFab removing what most of us remove.
When played in VLC or MPC-HC the “removed” stuff seems to be gone.
Using PgcEdit in “Trace Mode” some of it is still there .
Some is gone . This also seems to depend on the specific DVD & where in the .vob structure the usually removed data/video is.
An interesting puzzle I plan to work some more on . Over a period of time .
I fear that if I have any success it will be too individualized to a specific DVD to apply generally to all DVDs .

[QUOTE=cholla;2734898] An interesting puzzle I plan to work some more on . Over a period of time .[/QUOTE]

Think you need to run FixVTS after the “editing out/away” stuff for it to physically be removed from a VOB file.

Like the dummy cells you sometimes need to blank out in the beginning of a main movie title, if they have been left over after the protection of bad sectors are gone. First you remove the cells in PgcEdit and then FixVTS to remove them from the VOB(s).

I think VobBlanker is easier for the normal user to get rid of unwanted stuff.

@ Gummigutta ,
The point of this thread is to add them back in not remove them.
Myself I think they take so little space if they are hidden I would just leave them.
Instead further processing . I’ve used FixVTS when necessary but it takes sometime to do its process. I’ve wondered if it is doing something like transcoding .

An explanation of what FixVTS does:

[I]FixVTS opens a full Video Title Set (i.e. a menu vob, or a series of title vobs) and updates a number of important pointers in the vob file. Specifically, the forward pointers (enabling to quickly go from navpack to navpack) and the two this->LBA pointers that indicate the sector of the current navpack.
In addition, FixVTS keeps track of all the navpacks, and of all the cells in the vob file, and adjusts the IFO file for the titleset so that they match what’s in the vob files.
FixVTS can also remove unreferenced cells (i.e. cells that are in the vob files, but never played back, according to the IFO file).
FixVTS also fixes blank packs that are sometimes introduces by DVD rippers when they encounter unreadable sectors. These blank packs can either be removed, or replaced by compliant “stuffing packs”.
FixVTS can be compared to an IFOEdit “Mock Strip” in the sense that it performs some of the modifications that IFOEdit does. However, FixVTS does not update all the pointers IFOEdit does, and does not mess up the PGC cell flags or the cell commands. It does reorder the VCIDs, which is something that a mock strip does not do. In addition, it is significantly faster (in-place mode) and can process an entire DVD with 1 click.
FixVTS tries hard to process as fast as possible by re-writing only what’s necessary. When processing from backup, everything must be re-written, so that’s the slowest option. When processing in-place, and if the option to remove unreferenced material is not checked, only blank packs and navpacks are re-written, and only if it’s necessary (for example, if some of the pointers are wrong, or if they are renumbered). [/I]

It won’t transcode the video stream.

Thanks for the explanation of what FixVTS does.
Those “fixes” won’t effect video/audio quality just playability.
It would remove the last trace of what php111 wanted to restore .

Yeah the difficulty is restoring the missing stuff without actually knowing what was there originally.

If r0lZ says it’s too difficult though then it must be pretty much impossible.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2734989]Yeah the difficulty is restoring the missing stuff without actually knowing what was there originally.

If r0lZ says it’s too difficult though then it must be pretty much impossible.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I guess the only way to find out what is removed is having someone rip a DVD using DVDFab and check off the box to remove annoying PGCs (like FBI warnings)?

[QUOTE=php111;2734991]I guess the only way to find out what is removed is having someone rip a DVD using DVDFab and check off the box to remove annoying PGCs (like FBI warnings)?[/QUOTE]
That’s what I’ve done . I ripped a DVD allowing everything I could remove with DVDFab to be removed. Then I ripped the same DVD keeping everything that DVDFab would let me keep.(of course the decrypting had to be done).
I’ve had some other things going on & I haven’t had time to work with both copies in PgcEdit.
I plan to do this because I would like to know if it can be done or at least partly done.
The DVD I chose was from A TV series set . The reason is it has the Warnings before the main menu . If this one doesn’t have what I want I will do the same with another movie DVD.

I just compared these two DVD rips in PgcEdit.
If the Warnings are outside the main vobset or main menu they are completely removed.
So no recovery possible as r0lZ stated.

I just read your replies now, sorry.

Do you mean if the warnings are after the main menu as if you would hit “play” in the main menu than the warnings and movie trailers are gone?

[QUOTE=php111;2735031]I just read your replies now, sorry.

Do you mean if the warnings are after the main menu as if you would hit “play” in the main menu than the warnings and movie trailers are gone?[/QUOTE]

No .
Maybe this is a better way to post this:
If the Warnings are at the start of the DVD before the 'Main Menu" is displayed they are completely removed by DVDFab . So they are no longer recoverable because there is no data left to recover.

I’m ripping a movie (both ways) right now that has the warnings after the “Play” is selected from the “Main Menu” . The rip I removed them on will still have some of them. I think . A different movie I tried did. I didn’t like some other aspects of that one so I’m trying with this one.
Maybe it will work better with PgcEdit.
As I already posted this will be specific to each DVD (movie) .
If the “Warnings” are still there (there should be data to recover).
Whether or not I can make them playable again is what I will be working on . This may take a while.

[QUOTE=cholla;2735032]No .
Maybe this is a better way to post this:
If the Warnings are at the start of the DVD before the 'Main Menu" is displayed they are completely removed by DVDFab . So they are no longer recoverable because there is no data left to recover.

I’m ripping a movie (both ways) right now that has the warnings after the “Play” is selected from the “Main Menu” . The rip I removed them on will still have some of them. I think . A different movie I tried did. I didn’t like some other aspects of that one so I’m trying with this one.
Maybe it will work better with PgcEdit.
As I already posted this will be specific to each DVD (movie) .
If the “Warnings” are still there (there should be data to recover).
Whether or not I can make them playable again is what I will be working on . This may take a while.[/QUOTE]

I am very sorry I did not word this correctly :frowning: I really do apologize :frowning: