How do I add a HD

vbimport

Hello all, I am still a newbee and still computer illiterate but I have a problem I know is simple to you’all:bow:

I have an old system that I am wanting to add another smaller hard drive to just to move files from this bigger HD so I can transplant the bigger HD to another tower then move all the files back on to the original HD.

Heres why, this system is about 7-8 years old has an upgraded 80gb HD but the cpu can only handle 256mb ram, you might have seen my other post “slowwww poke”, anyway my neighbor brought me another tower with a better cpu which was running with over 700mb in it but has a bad hard drive and it is an athalon where as mine is a celeron so I assume I will have to format this HD before I install it in the “new” computer then re-install all my old stuff???

Am I on the right track???

when i got my 'new’er computer, i used magic jelly bean to get the Windows Product Key from the new computer. then i reformatted and installed XP. i backed up all the data i wanted to save from the older computer on data dvds. then just installed my programs and transfered my data from the dvds to the new computer.

i dont have alot of info i consider highly valuable, so just backing up on dvds worked good for me.

Couldn’t you just put in the newer HD and then format it then clone it from the smaller one and then install it in the newer computer or am I missing something here, Norton Ghost is a good program to do this with

[QUOTE=groceryjunkie2;2109226]Hello all, I am still a newbee and still computer illiterate but I have a problem I know is simple to you’all:bow:

I have an old system that I am wanting to add another smaller hard drive to just to move files from this bigger HD so I can transplant the bigger HD to another tower then move all the files back on to the original HD.

Heres why, this system is about 7-8 years old has an upgraded 80gb HD but the cpu can only handle 256mb ram, you might have seen my other post “slowwww poke”, anyway my neighbor brought me another tower with a better cpu which was running with over 700mb in it but has a bad hard drive and it is an athalon where as mine is a celeron so I assume I will have to format this HD before I install it in the “new” computer then re-install all my old stuff???

Am I on the right track???[/QUOTE]

Yes installing a new HDD in a different computer would require reformatting the HDD but before doing that just back the data and saved files and any downloaded program updates. The hardware and software programs you can reinstall them reason being you can have problems or corrupted files that will cause you more headache in the new system. Reinstalling your programs is a sound way to go to resolve any problems that might pop up. Once you do that just copy the data and saved files back in the correct folders and do your program update and reboot and if everything went well you should be back in business.

Hi groceryjunkie2,

As Jimbo and Troy have pointed out, there are any number of ways and software available to back up data.

If I follow you, I think this would be easiest and the cheapest…as in no cost to you.

I have no idea of the OS, ie., operating system(s) you’re using…windows XP??? or motherboards etc…are these proprietary boards, like dell, hp etc.

In any case, install the larger hdd from the “obsolete box” into the new rig.
Be certain to place this as MASTER on the IDE cable (flat ribbon cable) and be certain the jumper is correctly set to master (you may have cable select anyway…I have no idea about your set up)

Now install the small hdd into the new rig and connect this as SLAVE…again, be certain the jumpers and ribbon cable are correct.

Format the slave drive and then simply drag anything you want off the larger hdd to the slave hdd.

Now you can format the larger hdd and install a new OS.
You can keep the smaller hdd right there and use it as a slave…extra space for you…or you can transfer whatever data you want back to the larger hdd and do whatever with the smaller hdd.

This way, you keep all your options open and you can take your time figuring out what you want to do.

Were you planning on keeping the old system running?

i would at least get the windows key off the ‘new’ computer before reformatting anything. no matter what method is used.

Hi again groceryjunkie2,

Sorry about this, but ignore post #5, I totally screwed up…:o
At work right now and tried to rush, that’ll teach me…:doh:
You will have to hook up the smaller hdd as a slave first…to the old pc and then drag off whatever data you wish from the larger hdd to the smaller hdd. Then you will be able to install the larger hdd into the new rig, reformat and do a clean install of your OS.
Now you can hook up the smaller hdd as the slave…being sure to configure the cable and jumper settings correctly. Now you can drag the desired data back over to the larger hdd or just keep the slave hdd installed…unless you’re going to keep the old pc running

Excellent point by Troy, you do have an install cd of your desired OS…right?

Again, apologies for this.

With the price of hdds these days, why not just purchase a decent size, new hdd (instead of a small one) and then you can simply add your 80 GB hdd as a slave and save yourself all the hassles.
The minor difference in price may surprise you

Thanks for all the replies, believe it or not this system I am talking about is actually my “back-up” system while I have someone else working on my main system( he thinks it has BOOGIE-MEN in it). I am not exactly sure what is in this system my neighbor brought down yet except that it is athalon and I am on celeron w/ windows98.
To answer the other question, no I dont have a copy of windows XP but I hopefully have one coming from another friend.