How Different? Blu-Ray vs. DVD

Hello,

I just got a 4K TV as well as a 4K Blu-Ray player. Unfortunately I did this right after I stocked up on some Criterion DVDs from the last 50% off sale. While I’m certainly going to be getting Blu-Rays for now on, and I’m psyched for the upcoming 4K releases, I was wondering if it would be worth converting my old Criterion DVDs into Blu-Rays. They’re mostly older films, like Chaplain, Black Narcissus, Beauty & the Beast, Ozu & Kurosawa flicks, The Colour of Pomegranates, and a few others.

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I guess I’m in no rush to upgrade my existing films, but I’ll probably swap a few of the for 4K/Blu-Ray down the road when I have the spare cash.

There’s no need to convert to Blu-ray. Your player will be able to handle DVD’s, and conversion to the Blu-ray format doesn’t improve video quality. If done well, you might not notice any differences, but as a general rule, this type of conversion can degrade video quality.

1 Like

Yep, I agree with Kerry56.

Most Players should do upscaling and the DVDs look maybe better than in a normal DVD-player.