How did you spend your childhood vacations

Ok I over heard a conversation from the chatbox and I was very interested in it .So I’m posting this thread and it can go which ever way it wants to go.But being from different cultures and back ground I thought it to be interesting,How did you spend (if you did at all)your child hood vacations.

ok,my child hood didn’t have a lot of vacations to it,we live in a small cabin close to a few different lakes and people from Detroit came out to our area to vacation at the lakes around us.My summer job was bagging groceries in a small store carrying cases of beer out to cars and bagging store stuff.I only remember a few summers where my grandfather took me and my cousins up to the upper to fish.I think that’s where I got addicted to cigars,loved them ever since.Anyways my dad was drunk most the time so was no money to vacation with.

I remember one time we went down to Missouri ,it was 115 f in the shade and my grandfather was layed out on the kitchen table.So most that vacation was spent trying to stay cool and avoid the kitchen.

We didn’t have many childhood vacations either.
I remember the longest trip was to Arkansas to see a great aunt.
My grandmothers sister (took my grandparents with us).
It was nice a lot of trees compared to here. I got to go & see a saw mill .
We also went to OK City a couple of times . Better amusment park & zoo than we have here in Amarillo.
The childhood vacation to Colorado wasn’t much . We went to see my uncle & cousins . A very small town with not much to do but I did get to go fishing once.
My dad enjoyed it . Vacations back then were a lot more about what the parents wanted to do.
Most summers I spent in the Amarillo area. Still I had a good time & found enough to do.

@ marloyd , looks like a good topic .

We only had a few childhood holidays that I can remember - two to holiday resorts here in England, and one to Wales.

The Welsh one was best - we went to Barry Island and took a schoolfriend of mine. The acommodation was horrible though, not very clean.

Still, the fun we had on all the fairground rides made up for that :bigsmile:

Every Christmas we’d pack up and head north (North!) to the panhandle of Texas and visit my flock of relatives in Dumas. You’ve got to understand that there is very little in between the tundra of the Arctic and the panhandle of Texas to stop those blue Northers, and in late December it was always a frozen wasteland up there. And I hate the cold.

My grandparent’s house was very small, and with all the uncles, aunts, cousins and assorted local friends packed in there, the inside of the house was about 105 degrees. So, you could only take that for a while, then step outside in the 15 degree cold and 25mph winds until you turned blue, then back in.

At night in the house, since there was no central heating, and the room they put the kids in had no space heater, they would pile quilts on top of us. Once you got in the bed, you couldn’t move…it was like pressed flowers in a book. Better not need to go to the bathroom or develop an itch on your foot, cause you were stuck.

The only extended vacation I can remember during the summer was a trip to Six Flags over Texas (a huge amusement park) near Dallas. That was a fun trip. And we went up to Kansas after that to visit my aunt. But seriously, Kansas? For vacation? You’d better love combine harvesters and wheat fields, cause there’s just not a whole lot of anything else to look at.

[QUOTE=cholla;2663577]We didn’t have many childhood vacations either.
I remember the longest trip was to Arkansas to see a great aunt.
My grandmothers sister (took my grandparents with us).
It was nice a lot of trees compared to here. I got to go & see a saw mill .
We also went to OK City a couple of times . Better amusment park & zoo than we have here in Amarillo.
The childhood vacation to Colorado wasn’t much . We went to see my uncle & cousins . A very small town with not much to do but I did get to go fishing once.
My dad enjoyed it . Vacations back then were a lot more about what the parents wanted to do.
Most summers I spent in the Amarillo area. Still I had a good time & found enough to do.

@ marloyd , looks like a good topic .[/QUOTE]

cholla this thread was a idea miss Di had and I went with it

Hi Kerry , I guess us lifetime Panhandl residents just get used to it .
I haven’t even lit my central heater yet.
I have spent time in an unheated room with the quilt piles at my dad’s parents in a “bunk” house . A small barely a town in the North panhandle . Morse ,TX.
We just layer up & go right into the weather .
There are also many warm winter days here.

I think i’ve been to every west-European country there is back in my childhood, except Poland. Mostly Spain and France. Sometimes to Italy or Hungary.

These days i’m quite happy if we can get on holiday at all. Life’s been tough lately, but i’m not complaining much. We could have it so much worse and i’ve got my own best family in the world now.

I wish i could travel a lot and see the rest of the world. I like meeting different people. Once i applied for a job to help in IT in Africa. Still waiting for that breakthrough to travel the world and do lots of cool IT jobs. :slight_smile: Then again, my wife and kid would miss me a lot.

The stuff I remember most in the summer months we would barrow somebody’s boat and go froggin’ sometimes with a b.b. gun or sometimes with a bow and arrow. We had a canal close by which just connected two of the many lakes around there and try to catch some frogs and than take them back to my buddies home and cook them up,nothing like a mess of frog legs. Some times we would just have a good time and take the canal to the other lake but was kind of tricky you had to go pass this red neck neighborhood and there were apple trees there that they would throw the apples at us as we go by.Nothing happened much, you had to find stuff to do to stay out of trouble.

In the back of my parents’ car, bored to death as they look at the same animals we’d been mindlessly staring at for almost a week. Also, my sister was always there to fight with me.:frowning:

The worst was Yellow Stone, as it takes about a week to drive there, a week to look at every identical buffalo, geyser, ect., and a week to finally get back home.

Yellow Stone wasn’t all bad, though. At least I didn’t get attacked by a whole swarm of bees like I did at Yosemite! PS: I believe I was twelve back then Heck, before then, I used to look forward to vacations!

There was no such things as vacations for me. When school was out, I had a shine box and went to the city to make money. I guess swimming in the river was sort of a vacation LOL. We did go to the mountains a few weeks one year.