How credible are the Sammy 203 scans?

I’ve been playing around with my 203B drive today and scanning. The drive is very consistent whether I scan at 4x, 8x or even 16x. How much credibility do you guys put into the 203’s scans compared to any of the newer Lite-On drives?

Comparing my 203 scans to either one of my Lite-On drives shows me that it’s pretty close. The fact that it scans so fast, I’m considering using it for scanning only but if most people on the board dont trust the scans that I post from it then it’s pointless:)

It’s your reference not ours.

People will remind you that you aren’t scanning at a lower speed. If higher speeds work for you, remember to mention how scans tend to be very similar at any speed and you’ll be golden.

I’ve done that with 3 drives now [LiteOn LH-20A1H, Sony DRU-840A, LiteOn LH-20A1P] and no one has had credibility issues, as long as I explained. :slight_smile:

Unless you’re NOT using a LiteOn, Plextor, BenQ, or MTK-based Samsung to scan [and the odd reliable NEC], you will have few credibility issues. But, as rolling said, it’s your reference, not ours. :iagree:

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll be sure to point out in the future that the Sammy does very similar scans at all speeds. Guess it’s easy enough to scan @8x if I’m going to post the scan and just scan @16x for my own reference.

Here’s a great example of how my Sammy scans compared to my Lite-On 20A1H->20A4P.

…Or you could always have your sig point to this thread and scan at 16x anyway. :bigsmile: But scanning at 8x or 4x would make it easier, yes. :iagree:

The 203B doesn’t do jitter scanning, and jitter is a very important piece of info regarding the write quality of a particular DVDR/MID pairing. So that leaves certain Liteon drives (201AP,L,S for certain) for complete scanning capabilities, as the true Plextor and BenQ-built drives that scan jitter are pretty much out of production.

[QUOTE=RWP;1937857]The 203B doesn’t do jitter scanning, and jitter is a very important piece of info regarding the write quality of a particular DVDR/MID pairing. So that leaves certain Liteon drives (201AP,L,S for certain) for complete scanning capabilities, as the true Plextor and BenQ-built drives that scan jitter are pretty much out of production.[/QUOTE]You are so right! but the true test is if it works as you intended.

The 203B would be an absolutely perfect drive if it had the capability of scanning jitter. Is it safe to assume the hardware isn’t capable of jitter scanning?

Hi,[QUOTE=macaddict01;1938120] Is it safe to assume the hardware isn’t capable of jitter scanning?[/QUOTE]:disagree: That might also be some firmware restriction.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1938189]Hi,:disagree: That might also be some firmware restriction.[/QUOTE]

Would have thought someone like C0deKing would have found out how to enable it by now though.

[QUOTE=macaddict01;1938210]Would have thought someone like C0deKing would have found out how to enable it by now though.[/QUOTE]Not without the help from the manufacturer. A good example can be seen here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/a3-models-jitter-function-test-firmware-tool-231435/ (Wind is a Liteon firmware developer).

Regarding your initial question: I wouldn’t mind using the Samsung as scanner if I had “calibrated” the drive. And there is also no reason to justify the decision for using the Sammy. :wink:
My own drive behaves somewhere between my Liteon SHM-165P6S and my Benq DW 1650. Looks good :slight_smile:

Michael

I’m familiar with Wind but as far as I can tell nobody like him exists on here for the Samsung world unfortunately.

Honestly, the 203 is becoming my favorite drive these past 48hrs of testing. Jitter scanning is the only reason my trusty 160P drive is still installed on this machine.