How could I use "Safely Remove" on Windows 7 for my External Optical Units?

Hello

Not sure if right place for this question but I don’t know how to make Windows 7 (Ultimate) to have an item for safely remove my external optical drive. For one USB stick it appears and works OK, but for external optical drive I cannot. I have USB external cases for SATA units, PATA units, but no difference.

I used to switch off the external optical device, but not sure if it could be harmful in someway. That’s why I would like to see also “Safely remove” for external optical drives, like I used to see and use on Windows XP.

For what sense, simply powering off or removing them cannot harm anything.

Windows 7 (and Vista) manage optical drives differently by XP or all other previous versions, so a “safe remove” is not more needed for optical drives.

So, as said chef, to disconnect a drive is sufficient to power off the drive directly :slight_smile:

Hi,[QUOTE=Vasy;2561499]
Not sure if right place for this question[/quote]not really, so we are now in General Software :wink:

but I don’t know how to make Windows 7 (Ultimate) to have an item for safely remove my external optical drive. For one USB stick it appears and works OK, but for external optical drive I cannot. I have USB external cases for SATA units, PATA units, but no difference.
This should work automagically. Have you checked if the icon is in the “hidden” section of the notification area?

EDIT: Indeed, the “remove” icon is not there. :eek: I thought, it was :confused:

Michael

Thanks guys,
Thought it could be an issue, but seems to be OK by just switching off the unit.
Ciao