How can the IDE bus affect write quality?

vbimport

I’ve read on here many times that the IDE bus and/or drivers can affect how well a PX712A writes disks. I didn’t really give it much thought until I recently had to replace my motherboard. The old Abit KT7A (KT133A chipset) died, and was replaced with a Gigabyte 7VT880-L (KT880 chipset).

I’ve just burned my first DVD+R (a YUDEN000T01) using the new motherboard. Burned at 8x, a subsequent PI-PO scan shows error rates similar to burning the same media at 4x on the old ABit. When burned at 8x on the old ABit, the discs were still fine but there was a very noticable increase in error rates over 4x burns. So it would seem that this change in hardware and/or drivers does indeed affect write quality.

But it just doesn’t make any sense to me. Given that the PX712A has its own internal buffer, it would seem logical to think that, provided the host IDE channel can keep that internal buffer filled (and the old Abit mobo was fine: there were no buffer underruns), what the PX712A then does with the data should be independent of the rest of the system. So can anyone explain why there is a difference?

What is the extent of the difference? Hard to tell without seeing the scans. It could be attributed to variance between individual discs.

I’m having a bit of trouble figuring out how to add three scans to a single message, so this message has a typical 8x burn on the old motherboard. That spike between half and 1GB is a constant characteristic of 8x burns on the old motherboard.

Further messages show the other scans. All burns done using YUDEN000T01 media.

Here’s an 8x burn on the new motherboard.

And here’s a typical 4x burn (results are similar with both motherboards).

As you can see, the 8x burn on the new motherboard seems obviously better than on the old mobo.

Variations between burns on the same media can be bigger than the differences between your “old motherboard” and “new motherboard” scans, so I don’t really think you can conclude anything other than that you get good burns now. :slight_smile:

Variations between burns on the same media can be bigger than the differences between your “old motherboard” and “new motherboard” scans, so I don’t really think you can conclude anything other than that you get good burns now.

Thats my humble openion.....unless one of the boards, couldnt make “The Job”… :bigsmile:

I agree it’s probably not your new motherboard, but that is one of the best 8x burns I have seen in while. I wish my 716A would burn like that.:bigsmile:

I learned something interesting by chance, for while I had my plextor as master and my pioneer as slave on ide1 both drives were UDMA4 and seemed to be working ok, both burned at full speed, but due to some testing I needed to take my pioneer to my office and so that left the plextor as master with no slave, usually when I used plextools to burn with master/slave setup i would get 1 or more burnproof activations showing in make dvd or make copy, in the burn log. This did not seem to affect burn quality, but since i have made plex just master with no slave burnproof has not activated once. This might be of interest to some that have plex on cable with something else and are not getting the burn speeds they would expect.

Thx for the info KenW, My Plex is master with my Nec as slave so I will give this a try when I get the chance. Worth a try!! :slight_smile:

Crossq

It also should be known that my system is older intel 845 chipset and I have had some odd problems with pioneers only detecting as slave if set to master no detection at all, this could be part of it, but still the point is plextor seems to be much happier alone on a cable in my system.

Thx again, KenW. Know what you mean about detecting master and Slave. When I open Plex Tools it says Plextor Master and my three other drives slaves. Hmmmm? Obviously Plextor engineers were only concerned with the Plextor. No big deal though! :confused:

I’d just like to thank everyone for their feedback. I think perhaps we will just have to put it down to sample variation in the media.

Even more impressive when you consider that the 8x burn was on media only officially rated up to 4x (YUDEN000T01). It was done on a 712A, fw 1.05, with Plextools 2.20. I’m very happy with this media, not only does it provide excellent burns, it seems much more consistent than any other I’ve tried.