How can I use my laptop in a car?

vbimport

I want to able to charge and run my laptop whilst travelling in cars - do I need a separate adaptor or can I just get a lighter socket to 3 pin plug which would go into the adaptor part of my laptop power cable instead of the socket plug to 3 pin plug which is used indoors?

You need a special adaptor to allow it to charge from the lighter socket.
Just obtaining or making something that actually allowed it to fit would destroy your laptop, or even worse cause the battery in your laptop to explode. The PSU supplied with your laptop has carefully regulated voltages.

…and it needs to produce full sine waves which cheap adapters doesn’t do
//Danne

[QUOTE=SG;2548044]I want to able to charge and run my laptop whilst travelling in cars - do I need a separate adaptor or can I just get a lighter socket to 3 pin plug which would go into the adaptor part of my laptop power cable instead of the socket plug to 3 pin plug which is used indoors?[/QUOTE]

Something like this will do the job you want done:

http://www.beachaudio.com/Tripplite/Pvint375-p-325952.html?SSAID=19869http://www.beachaudio.com/Tripplite/Pvint375-p-325952.html?SSAID=198698&utm_campaign=pvint375&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=ShareASale

[QUOTE=SG;2548044]I want to able to charge and run my laptop whilst travelling in cars[/QUOTE]
That should not be a problem :disagree:

[QUOTE=SG;2548044] - do I need a separate adaptor or can I just get a lighter socket to 3 pin plug which would go into the adaptor part of my laptop power cable instead of the socket plug to 3 pin plug which is used indoors?[/QUOTE]
Yes you need a car adapter that is compatible to your Notebook . Most Notebooks do not use 12V. Therefore you need a car adapter that converts the 12V to the voltage your Notebook needs. Most Notebook manufacturers have such car adapter as accessory .

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2548058]…and it needs to produce full sine waves[/QUOTE]What for? Usually Laptops are fed with DC, not with AC. :wink:
Michael

He means if the OP gets a power inverter to get one that produces a true sine wave, not a modified sine wave (looks more like a square wave).

On ebay they have cheaper solutions, UNIVERSAL LAPTOP POWER NOTEBOOK ADAPTER W CAR PLUG 100W.

Not all cigarette lighter sockets can handle a lot of power. For the handy person you can supply your own 12V power from the battery or fuse panel and not have to worry about blowing a fuse.

Not all cigarette lighter sockets can handle a lot of power. For the handy person you can supply your own 12V power from the battery or fuse panel and not have to worry about blowing a fuse.

But they should be good for 10 to 15 amp output, which means an inverter that can put out 100 to 150 watts should be OK.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2548135]He means if the OP gets a power inverter [/QUOTE]I’d rather get a car adapter that is known to work with the laptop instead.

Michael

In the shops I’ve seen these in, they are usually called a in-car (or 12v) universal laptop power supply, here’s an example. These tend to draw less power from the cigarette lighter adapter than a combination of an inverter and regular laptop power supply, as each conversion results in an efficiency loss.

If you go this type of adapter, be very careful with the voltage switch and double-check it before plugging in! Setting the correct voltage is simple, but all it takes is for a toddler to fiddle with it and you’ve got a smokin’ laptop, something which happened to a colleague at work.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Would this do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250557155424&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The only issue with this one is that it looks identical to the one my work colleague had where his toddler discovered the self-destruct mode. :bigsmile:

Basically, just make sure the switch is at the correct voltage before plugging in and it should work fine. :slight_smile:

If you have a laptop that has a high power demand, I would spend more for a better unit. The cheap units will probably survive with a Netbook or another low power unit.