How can I tell if my Sony/LiteOn supports double layer disks? / tray ejection

Hi,

I’m looking to buy either a 50 or 20 pack Memorex double layer DVD+R DL disk set:
http://www.tapeandmedia.com/detail.asp?product_id=MEM32025732

I don’t know if my dvd drives support double layer, though. How can I find out…?

Here are the dvd driver names:
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B
SONY DVD RW-DW-D18A

Feel free to tell me if those Memorex are not any good as well, although I’ve had a good experience with Memorex disks (reliable) in the past.

Also, if anyone knows: my Sony DVD RW-DW D18A (which is a Lite-On if I understand correctly) stopped ejecting 99.99% of the time about half a year ago. This problem started about 1 month after I bought my Sony PC in 2004 – the tray wouldn’t eject only a few times at that point. I can’t tell if it’s a hardware issue or software issue. I tried changing the firmware but it didn’t seem to work (one of them made the drive stop working completely) and I changed it back. I may have been using the wrong firmware – I don’t know enough about this. I have resorted to manually ejecting the disk by sticking a pin in the “emergency” hole. Is this a driver or hardware problem, or perhaps both?

Thanks!

Memorex DL is cheapo media and [B]not recommended![/B]
Recommended DL media is from Verbatim, [B]MIDs[/B] MKM001, MKM003 and MKM004.

You should try with Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x rated.

And yes, your drive is a LiteOn drive. It is based on the SOHW-832S, which has long been retired from the line up. It’s retail Sony counterpart is the DRU-700A.

Your best bet would be Verbatim DVD+R DL, 2.4x rated, Made in Singapore, as your drive is quite old. Next best bet would be Verbatim’s 8x rated DVD+R DL. [This is the same thing as what [B]chef[/B] said.]

Make sure you don’t get DVD+R DL mixed up with DVD-R DL. “Plus” will work with your drive. “Dash” won’t. :flower:

Albert: ok, thanks!

chef: Hmm, I see. Actually, that is pretty surprising. I’ve bought both Sony (“DPW47L2”) and Memorex CD-RWs/DVD-RWs, and a few Sony DVD-RW disks have errored up (even brand new!), while the Memorex DVD-RWs and CD-RWs were excellent… I’ll look into “Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x”.

Memorex uses a bunch of different manufacturers for its discs, which means you may get media made by someone known for decent quality, or you may get complete garbage.

With DL media, you typically get complete garbage. :wink:

The Sony media may not have that great of support, and I have a feeling that the Memorex media isn’t burning as well as it could, either.

BTW, you might want to read this link [http://club.cdfreaks.com/580276-post3.html. If you follow the directions given, you can find out the MID of the DVD RW discs so we can give you our take on the media you have. :flower:

But with the way you are talking, it sounds like your Sony is on its way out. In your VAIO, is there a door on the front that flips down when the drive tray comes out, or does the tray just come out?

But with the way you are talking, it sounds like your Sony is on its way out. In your VAIO, is there a door on the front that flips down when the drive tray comes out, or does the tray just come out?

The DVD-RW works fine… it’s just the ejection that doesn’t work. There is a little door that flips down when the drive tray comes out, but I have to flip it down manually and insert the pin since it doesn’t eject.

I don’t even know how to safely open the box to check if it’s a simple issue or not. It could just be dust or something that got moved out of place. It’s a VGC-RA810G, with no obvious way to open it and no instructions to do so.

EDIT: I ran that program you linked to… it was a bit annoying as I had to use my DVD-RW and not my DVD-R (it wouldn’t recognize the drive)

Here’s what I got for the Memorex DVD-RW:
Infodisk Technology Co., Ltd., media type 10, product revision 1.

Here’s what I got for the Sony DVD-RW:
Philips, Media Type 41, product revision not specified.