How Can I split Episodes on DVD?

vbimport

Hello,
I have some episode DVDs, and would like to back them up. A DVD has 4 episodes, but I want to back this up using 2 separate backup DVDs, 2 episodes each, and at the same time would like to have the menu on both backup new DVDs. How can I use this? What is the best application to use for this (split DVDs)? I know it is not DVD Decrypter, that would not work for me, nor Shrink.

Can anyone in here please help??

Thanks a bunch!

trekkin

VobBlanker (free) can be used. Copy the source DVD to two instances on your hard disk and then blank out two episodes on each instance. If you still need to shrink them to fit on a single layer disc, then let DVD Shrink fix that.

It’s also possible to use DVD Shrink and set the two unwanted episodes to stills in the compression setting box.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=trekkin2k5;2136646]Hello,
I have some episode DVDs, and would like to back them up. A DVD has 4 episodes, but I want to back this up using 2 separate backup DVDs, 2 episodes each, and at the same time would like to have the menu on both backup new DVDs. How can I use this? What is the best application to use for this (split DVDs)? I know it is not DVD Decrypter, that would not work for me, nor Shrink.

Can anyone in here please help??

Thanks a bunch!

trekkin[/QUOTE]

Have to ask why split the dvd up?? Are you having problems with your player? If you did split up the dvd you going to have to create custom menu screen. Also if the dvd is protected unless the free program can decrypt it won’t work. For me it’s alot better to just go either dvd9 to dvd5 or dvd5 to dvd5 or dvd9 to dvd9. Doing all the custom split unless done right can be more a headache. Unless your only ripping the movie then that something else.

It’s simple with AnyDVD + CloneDVD!
-Start AnyDVD and let it work in the backgound
-Open CloneDVD

• Click “CloneDVD” to make a backup of the whole DVD
  • Now you see a screen where you can deselect the titles you don’t need.
    So you deselect episode 3 and 4 and the first DVD-which means you have episode 1-2 and everything else (including the menu) on the first backup.
    -After finishing the first DVD you go back and deselect episode 1-2, so the second backup only includes episode 3-4

continue like that.

Best regards.

Yes, use those simple products if you feel like paying hundreds of dollars for something you can do for free.

Do take the advice of cynthia_old in post 2.

You actually can do it with VobBlanker in 2 separate instances, without making 2 copies of the disc (just make the first disc’s output folder different from the second). There’s a splitting guide on the VobBlanker site.

Regards

well, 69€ for AnyDVD + CloneDVD.

But in former times, i also did what cynthia_old mentioned.

Thanks for all the help - The problem is that DVD Shrink doesn’t seem to work too well with more recent movies, so is there a similar program to DVD Shrink that does the same thing? Using VoBlanker by itself is not enough, is it, without removing copy protection?

It is great that we can use a free program like VoBlanker for splitting etc…but what do you recommend to use in conjunction with it in order to backup properly, with recent newer movies?

Please advise.

Thanks much!
trekkin

I’d suggest to rip the movie to your hard disc before shrinking/editing.

Free: Use DVDFab HD Decrypter
Commercial but great: AnyDVD (my prefered solution).

Is DVD Fab totally free, or is it on a 30-day trial basis?? I would like to get a utility that works and is freeware…

So DVD Fab allows you to rip the movie from the original to the Hard Drive, even if the DVD movie is copy-protected?? Is it a viable replacement for DVD Shrink?

Thanks again for your advice.

trekkin.

DVDFab has a 30 day trial for the full version. The free decrypter/ripper is included in the download for DVDFab and will continue to function after the 30 day period ends. You just don’t have all the options of the full version after the trial period.

If you want to continue using free tools, there is nothing wrong with using the decryption and ripping tools of DVDFab and combine that with the compression abilities of DVDShrink. Add in a free burning program like ImgBurn and you have everything covered for no cost.