How can I remove noisy chatter from my video recording

vbimport

I have my wedding recording taken with a Sony camcorder. Unfortunately it has picked up a bit of chatter near to the person taking the recording during the speeches. Is there any way of removing this so that I can here the speeches.

Welcome. It’s difficult at best to remove a sound after it’s recorded. If it’s recorded in stereo, and if the offending chat is mostly in one channel you can reduce it a bit using Audacity or a similar audio editor.

I´ve done a bit of this…also using Audacity.

As Oly says, you can sometimes reduce general background buzz, but what can be most annoying is the occasional inappropriate word or comment. How to deal with that is simple but requires care.

Essentially, you cut that section out…sometimes it´s just a second…
Now…the part where you have to be careful: select á similar “normal” background buzz/chatter and copy and paste it into where you cut the bit out. You can add audio blending effects if necessary. No-one will notice! I´ve done video with sections several minutes long where the audio came from a completely separate part. In one example, someone started talking to me without noticing the camera was running (I was filming the police while someone was being “interviewed” after a disturbance). I had to blur parts of the interview anyway, but I was able to more or less entirely remove what the other person said, without anyone picking it up.

thanks for your replies. I have installed audacity. I want to edit about 20 mins of audio. It is taking a long time to import the file, is this normal. Is it better to save 5 min sections and paste them together after the edit.

thanks

[QUOTE=paul2louise;2492287]thanks for your replies. I have installed audacity. I want to edit about 20 mins of audio. It is taking a long time to import the file, is this normal. Is it better to save 5 min sections and paste them together after the edit.

thanks[/QUOTE]
audicity seems to freeze up when i open the video i want to edit. Does it have problems with big files

What operating system are you using? XP and Vista should be ok, but if you are using Windows 7 then you should use the new beta version of Audacity.

Also, what are the specs of the computer you are using?

i am using windows 7. I will have a look a reinstall if needs be

thanks