How can i make sound come out of the headphone jack

i have a plextor w4012a and i cannot get any sound from the headphone jack found on the face of the cd writer.

Can anyone tell me what i can do what software i need to use

Thanks for you help

There are a few possibilities concerning your dilemma. First, is the analog sound cable (from the Plextor) connected to your soundcard or motherboard (if your sound chip is onboard)? This is usually the problem, so you will need to go into your PC case and connect it. Secondly, do you currently have installed an application which can/will play CD audio? Windows98 has a built in CD Player, there’s MediaPlayer, or you can find programs (WinAmp, Sonique) that will play the CD as long as that program is configured to do so. Finally, your headphone plug (1/8 ") or it’s cable, or the female connector (face of the CD-writer) may be damaged. Good Luck!

There should be sound present at the headphone jack when an audio CD is played as long as the volume control wheel is turned up. Of course you will need a CD Player program and a working headphone set. It is not necessary to have an audio cable connected to a sound card in order to get CD audio at the headphone jack.

Only audio CD music can be played through the headphone jack. MP3’s and game CD’s will not work, as these are data files and must be played through the computer’s sound card.

Listen thanks for you help i have two drives one is a lg dvd reader and the other is a plextor w4012a and both have the same problem no sound is coming from headphone jack

I insert an audio cd use both windwos media player and musicmatch to play the audio cd yet no sound from headphone jck - are there some settings that i need to make

Thanks for your help

The operating system will either play analog or digital, and defaults to digital. The audio will be imported to the sound card via the IDE/SCSI/USB cable. To get audio from the headphones or external RCA connectors, you need to disable the digital control in the OS and in the player utility. You will then get the audio through the headphones only until you redirect.

Plextor has a good FAQ with directions for this on their software FAQ.

I had the same problem with my Plextor 40/12/40U. No sound from the headphone jack.
Turning off ‘digital audo extraction’ in the properties of the CD writer fixed it - then I was able to listen to audio CD’s through its headphone socket. Although I have NO idea how it sends analogue audio over the USB cable!
Using Feurio or Plextools CD player with digital audio disabled actually wipes them out; so it’s up to you whether you want to listen to the headphone output of your drive (turn off digital audio) or out of your pc (turn it on).
My soundcard sucks; but with wave output from winamp instead of directsound it’s not too bad through my headphones.
With directsound I get no treble and bad stereo seperation (good one microsoft).

PW

[QUOTE=brockpw;335812]I had the same problem with my Plextor 40/12/40U. No sound from the headphone jack.
Turning off ‘digital audo extraction’ in the properties of the CD writer fixed it - then I was able to listen to audio CD’s through its headphone socket. Although I have NO idea how it sends analogue audio over the USB cable!
Using Feurio or Plextools CD player with digital audio disabled actually wipes them out; so it’s up to you whether you want to listen to the headphone output of your drive (turn off digital audio) or out of your pc (turn it on).
My soundcard sucks; but with wave output from winamp instead of directsound it’s not too bad through my headphones.
With directsound I get no treble and bad stereo seperation (good one microsoft).

PW[/QUOTE]

I was having the same problem with my Asus CD-ROM only player. I thought it was a dead player, but I swapped it with a TEAC and still no sound.

According to tweakxp.com, my problem was because Windows Media Player is digital, and your HEADPHONES JACK PLAYS ANALOGUE!

I found this site that recommended making sure Enable Digital Audio is unchecked in Device Manager Properties for your CD drive.

Then go into Windows Media Tools > Options > Device Tab select the CD drive and in Properties Playback > select Analogue

Link to full instructions: :bow: http://www.tweakxp.com/article37479.aspx
I am listening to my CD-Rom as a I type now … :slight_smile:

I really don’t know why someone would want to do this if they have a sound card or even a decent mobo with an onboard audio chip. It is my opinion that the sound quality from the audio out of your sound card or your mobo’s on board sound(if it is a recent mobo) is superior to the sound from your optical drives headphone socket.

wow old thread. You have to go back a few years to even know that there were 1/8" head phone jacks on CD-R burners :bigsmile: of course they have volume controls on them also.

Only drive i have that has one is my Plextor Premium 1.

[QUOTE=Rafterman;1924438]I really don’t know why someone would want to do this if they have a sound card or even a decent mobo with an onboard audio chip. It is my opinion that the sound quality from the audio out of your sound card or your mobo’s on board sound(if it is a recent mobo) is superior to the sound from your optical drives headphone socket.[/QUOTE]

Simple. Because it’s there. And convenient for late night listening.

I don’t doubt you have a superior sound system. :bigsmile:

I have an old computer system.

I like troubleshooting and solving problems. And doggone it! I have a headphone jack and I hate to have it go to waste!

I found this thread looking for answers in my search for answers and thought I would post my first post to this board since I kept getting that nagging reminder I haven’t posted. I thought I was contributing something useful and on topic of this thread, apparently I was mistaken. :cop:

[QUOTE=terra1;1924671]Simple. Because it’s there. And convenient for late night listening.

I don’t doubt you have a superior sound system. :bigsmile:

I have an old computer system.

I like troubleshooting and solving problems. And doggone it! I have a headphone jack and I hate to have it go to waste!

I found this thread looking for answers in my search for answers and thought I would post my first post to this board since I kept getting that nagging reminder I haven’t posted. I thought I was contributing something useful and on topic of this thread, apparently I was mistaken. :cop:[/QUOTE]No problem use your pc the way you want to.