How can I have a succesful burn?

I’m having problems with my DVD burner.

Specs:

Mobo: Abit NF7-S
CPU: AMD Athlon +1700 XP OC’ed to 2GHz
DVD±RW: NEC ND-3500A

Ever since I bought it (from Newegg), I have never been able to have a succesful burn. One time IT ACTUALLY STARTED TO BURN, but had some type of error and stopped.

I am using the latest Nero version (7.5.??), and every time I EVEN BEGIN to try to burn, once I click start, it ALWAYS automatically says that it stopped… something about Disc-at-once error.

Anyone have this problem before?

This is the error screen I get on Nero.

Can anyone help me out here? This has happened since Day 1. :sad:

Why does the burner/Nero even limit my burning process to 2.4x anyways?!?!?! Can’t it go all the way to 16x?

do I need to use a different burning program?

It sounds like it could be poor media, or something that the NEC doesn’t recognise.

You haven’t told us what brand and media ID you’re using. Download CD-DVD Speed and post the information from the ‘Disc Info’ tab.

You probably need to update the firmware on the 3500. Many users are having this problem with new media & older drives.

Get the latest firmware from NEC’s site here .

Do the following:

1. ensure that you do have enough empty space in your hard drive.
  2. ensure you do have atleast 512MB memory available in your system.
  3. Check your hard drive to make sure it is not badly fragmented.
  4. Check your IDE controllers to make sure your hard drive and burner are In DMA position.
  5. If you have Nvidia chipset in your motherboard and you have Nvidia drivers installed for your IDE controllers uninstall the driver reboot your computer and let the windows recognizes your drives and install windows based drivers for them.

Here you go.

Thanks Tim. I’m a little worried about the “Read me” txt file.

[I]“This Update works only with NEC ND-3500A (retail & bulk) drives, [B]not with OEM releases[/B]. OEM means part of a full PC package or external USB or FireWire variant of this burner. For OEM products contact directly your dealer, distributor or manufacturer of PC- or USB/ Firewire- package for service, support and firmwareupdates.”[/I]

I bought my drive OEM from Newegg. Does it REALLY matter if it’s Retail or OEM?

Well, it looks like you have firmware version 2.16 (according to picture above) which is a normal firmware. Looks like you’re good to go. That is, I think you have a normal bulk-version and not OEM. Flashing will however never be 100% safe. Not that it can be much worse than not working like it is now I guess.

Typically by OEM they’re referring to drives shipped as part of a package PC, typically Dell, that run with a different firmware to that normally shipped.

You should be fine I believe.

The RitekF1 media is causing this problem with NEC 2500/3500 burners on a regular basis now.

I would just like to add that defragging your drive is very important to a successful burn. When your drive is fragmented, your pc has to work harder because it has to collect bits and pieces that are scattered all over.

Are you sure it’s just the media?!?! Before we got stolen (thieves broke into our house a few weeks ago, and among the many things they took, they took my DVD media, but not my CD-R media), I was having the same problem.

Only once did the burner ATTEMPT to burn a DVD (obviously not with the Ritek media), but it failed at like 20% in.

In my Windows XP SP2 Operating system, I tried to defragment my C: last night… but it didn’t let me. It says I need at least 15% of free space. I only have about 7% of free space. Do I really need 15% of free space?

Having so little free space can cause problems burning, but I agree with the others that Ritek media is probably the cuplrit.

It’s poor media these days, whereas it used to be good.

So try and free up some disc space, and try better discs if you can. Also, Tim says you should be fine flashing your firmware to the latest, so I’d give that a shot.

Yes, at least that. The defrag process needs some space to temporarily shuffle things around while it defrags. Now that you have had several errors with your burner, I would double check to see if you DMA is enable for your drive. If your drive has several errors it will default to PIO mode. You do not want this.

Check DMA - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

:cool: :cool:

hmm… we’ll I went with what Best Buy had… but I guess I’ll have to shell out another $30 bucks then.

Thanks! I tried what the link said, and I ran into a wall.

Compared to mine…

On my Device Manager window, I don’t have anything for Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel.

Is my mobo jacked up?!?!

AS TCAS stated

1. If you have Nvidia chipset in your motherboard and you have Nvidia drivers installed for your IDE controllers uninstall the driver reboot your computer and let the windows recognizes your drives and install windows based drivers for them.

:cool: :cool:

ok. This won’t hurt my PC… right? Do I need to got to safe mode for this?