How can I get old DOS games to run in XP?

I’ve got ahold of some old games like Discworld and Lemmings 2 which apparently only run in DOS. So, having an XP machine I wonder if anyone could lend me a hand, i.e. give advice about how I might get these programs running?

I’ve stumbled across things like Dosbox but TBH I wouldn’t know how to use it anyway.

Hi,

prepare an USB stick [I]bootable [/I]with MS-DOS and run the software from there.
Or use dosbox. Documentation is available, you just need to read it.

Michael

Try run them in XP you may be suprised… If they don’t work go for dosbox

You need Vogons!
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/

A mine of information on running obsolete on new!

There are emulator programs as well.Like for even older Commodore64 games.
I would be suprised if there wasn’t a DOS one.
I still have a working Commodore64 so I use it to play the games I have for it.
Some are still on their 5.25 floppy.

Thank you for the input guys. I’ve been very busy of late. I wil try AGAIN to get DOS Box to work and continue scouring Vogons.

You could even just use a VMWare image of a DOS environment in VMWarePlayer. Very easy to install and use, and old DOS games run just fine inside of it. No need for rebooting into DOS or setting up DOSBox.

Ah cheers, I’ve installed it but now I’m at a loss as to what to do next. Can I like, install Windows 95 on it or something?

[QUOTE=SG;2299716]Ah cheers, I’ve installed it but now I’m at a loss as to what to do next. Can I like, install Windows 95 on it or something?[/QUOTE]

For instance. You now have a virtual machine inside your current operating system. You need to attach a cdrom (or iso file, or floppy disk, or floppy image) to it and install it like you would install a completely clean machine.

Thanks, so I can install Win 98 on there, yeah? Basically at the moment the VMWare Player comes up and has the option to open a virtual machine or d/l a virtual appliance - I don’t understand how I’m meant to install an OS onto it.

[QUOTE=SG;2300161]Thanks, so I can install Win 98 on there, yeah?[/quote] As i mentioned before you can install almost any os on that, so yes, 98 is absolutely no problem.

You can even install a virtual machine inside a virtual machine inside a virtual machine, etcetera.

The only thing you have to take care of are the correct drivers. Some virtual machines need other hardware drivers than “normal” pc’s. Read the documentation of your virtual machine software carefully!

Basically at the moment the VMWare Player comes up and has the option to open a virtual machine or d/l a virtual appliance - I don’t understand how I’m meant to install an OS onto it.

A virtual appliance is a pre-fabricated virtual machine, usually some Linux distribution with some tools installed. As a professional i don’t recommend using those, because you never know what kind of software products are installed and how they are configured.

Just pop in your Windows 98 cd-rom, set up the virtual machine so that it will boot from your cdrom player and start up the VM.

Virtual Machines are going to be very very important in the future to make sure old software products will still run on newer machines. As you can imagine, big huge companies that still use very old software (Cobol programs, very old unix machines, etc) don’t have the budget or the knowledge anymore to reprogram all their multimillion software products. Virtual Machines will give these products a 2nd chance for decades to come.

Hey thanks but I just got MS’s Virtual machine - easy peasy!