How can i get i firewire port on my laptop?

Ok i have been looking at this problem for almost a year now. I have a JVC GR-D77OU MINI-DV camcorder and Windows 7 2010 Gateway NV53a laptop.I need to transfer video from my camcorder to my laptop but my laptop has no firewire port.

So her are my questions:
1.What do i need to have a fire-wire port on my laptop?
I have been told “You need a PCI card,oh that wont work you need a PCIMA card, oh that wont work either, oh you need a fire-wire bus card, oh that wont work either” i guess because of my laptop cant use any of those?
2.Can i use one of those options ^^^?

1. This is my last option, is it possible if i can get an external express card and a fire wire card bus? because i heard external express card don’t work with fire wire? I would also like links please???

I tried to open the manual of the N53a, but the Gateway website is slower than my dead great-grandmother.

If you cannot add a CardBus and or other ExpressCard in your laptop, your only solution would be something like this.

bur where can i purchase it?

I have no idea. Most USB->DV cables do not seem to function.

But i just looked into the manua of your JVC. On page 41 it says it has a USB connector. Why not use that?

wow i did not no that that, so what cable would i need? and would i just go to my video editing software and play on the camera?

[QUOTE=esk869;2597039]wow i did not no that that, so what cable would i need? and would i just go to my video editing software and play on the camera?[/QUOTE]

This sounds more like someone that is just making problems rather then doing some real homework and knowing about and reading their user’s manual that comes with such equipments. If you can’t seem to know how to use your equipment and make such comments one shouldn’t post here.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2597051]This sounds more like someone that is just making problems rather then doing some real homework and knowing about and reading their user’s manual that comes with such equipments. If you can’t seem to know how to use your equipment and make such comments one shouldn’t post here.[/QUOTE]

I have bought some equipment and cameras from pawn shops and even garage sales that had no manual’s a few times, since when did we start telling members not to post a question or comment because of lack of knowledge :confused:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2597058]I have bought some equipment and cameras from pawn shops and even garage sales that had no manual’s a few times, since when did we start telling members not to post a question or comment because of lack of knowledge :confused:[/QUOTE]

No not saying we don’t help- but the manner in which the reply wasn’t in line with someone asking for help that would say they are genuine in need of assistance. That is why I said what I said. There are ways to ask for help and there are ways that how you reply back to someone giving help comes off as not really being interested in getting help.

well first of all i have done research on mini dv camcorders and they always said i needed a firewire cable and as for the manual i dont know where it is so why would you post here as if you were trying to help?

Also the usb thing isnt working. Can i just take it to best buy and ask them?

[QUOTE=esk869;2597102]Also the usb thing isnt working. [B]Can i just take it to best buy and ask them?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes you can however I suggest you talk to a few people that work there because not all employees have little knowledge in the section they are working in.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2597106]Yes you can however I suggest you talk to a few people that work there because not all employees have little knowledge in the section they are working in.[/QUOTE]
ok thank you. Also have you heard of any digital converter boxes for dv tapes ?

[QUOTE=esk869;2597108]ok thank you. Also have you heard of any digital converter boxes for dv tapes ?[/QUOTE]

I am going to assume that the DV videorecording system is quite new for you. It might be a real challenge to get it working on your Gateway.

I would like to recommend purchasing a standalone dvd-recorder with a dv/firewire port built in. I have a $100 Yamada dvd-recorder myself which is capable of recording from a dv/firewire source straight to a dvd.

This way you will not need anything else but a mini-dvd cable and an empty dvd.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2597114]I am going to assume that the DV videorecording system is quite new for you. It might be a real challenge to get it working on your Gateway.

I would like to recommend purchasing a standalone dvd-recorder with a dv/firewire port built in. I have a $100 Yamada dvd-recorder myself which is capable of recording from a dv/firewire source straight to a dvd.

This way you will not need anything else but a mini-dvd cable and an empty dvd.[/QUOTE]

But what format will it transfer it into? avi mpeg2 wmv? will it be editable?

Holy crap someone quickly respond!!! will this product work ?
Dazzle DVD Recorder Plus http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Systems-82303000101-Dazzle-Recorder/dp/B0039Y2YDK

im pretty sure it will but i need a yellow red wire do you guys no which one i would need?

I don’t see any firewire connector, but if your JVC has the correct outputs for this device i see no problems. You can read all about it in the manual i posted a few threads earlier.

Go here type in your serial number and download the software and manual, this will get you working with just the usb to pc cable. http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/download/vc31_vp20/dl_vcvp.html

Got my old gr-dv500u out and it will not capture correctly with the usb cable so disregard my previous post.