How can I get a DRX-830U External to burn DVD+DL faster

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRX-830U. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Sony DRX-830U w. Firmware:SS25. I have Memorex DVD+DL 2.4x Discs and want to know how I can get my burner to burn at least 4x. I get these discs to burn @ 4x on other burners but not this one. Is there any newer or special firmware available to do this? I know the burner is capable of Burning DVD+R DL @ 8x.

I believe you have the most current official firmware but the media you are using is terrible. The only DL media consistently recommended is Verbatim.

According to the CDF review, your drive can write DL @ 8X (dump the Memorex)

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Sony-DRX-830U-Review/

Some of the confusion may be that your media is rated at 2.4X and you’re trying to burn faster. Regardless of the speed, please use Verbatim.

N.B. You might not like the quality you get as a result of burning DL media at faster speeds.

Also, most users’ experiences with Memorex 2.4x DVD+R DL has been a poor one when trying to overspeed.

I’m going to second the idea of getting Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL, or at least the 2.4x Verbatim DL. Your drive might be able to write the 2.4x at 4x with no need for tweaking [though I make no promises]. :slight_smile:

If you’re going to use Memorex DL media, always use the 8x rated ones (RITEK S04). The 2.4x media (RITEK D01) isn’t as good or compatible with as many drives. Plus, these days, the 8x DL Memorex usually costs about the same as the 2.4x DL Memorex, so people should abandon the slower media altogether.

Now, none of what I said above applies to Verbatim. Verbatim DL media works, irrespective of rated speed, in every dual-layer burner on the planet. It is the best DL media on the market, period, and if you want the fewest problems and the best burns, go with Verbatim. It’s more expensive, but it’s worth it.