How can I find out what graphics card I have?

A computer that was once used, got formatted, so everything was cleared out of the system. When I right-click the desktop to change the colo(u)r settings, it won’t go higher than 16 colo(u)rs.

Before it was formatted, there was no problem with the colo(u)rs. Someone suggested that it might be the drivers, which must have got trashed in the fomatting, that must be the problem.

I don’t know where the disk is to install the drivers back into the harddrive, but I’m sure you can download them from somewhere (the graphic card’s manufacturer’s website). But the problem is, that I don’t know what graphics card it is.

So, is it possible to find out what graphics card I have? Is there a program that is able to detect who makes it, or is there a windows-built program able to do that (already in windows)?

Please, the colo(u)rs are getting really annoying (Imagine using a computer with 16 colo(u)rs!)

Thanks for your time, hope someone can help :slight_smile:

Hello,

The best and most accurate way is to physically open the computer and check the graphics card.

Cheers.

I have solved my problem. Thanks anyway.

The way I found out what graphics card it was, was by looking at the first screen on system startup (In DOS). It said what graphics card it was (SiS 6236, I think). Thanks anyway

rightclick on your desktop, go to settings and under the moniter picture it should say “Moniter on Soso Videocard”

Originally posted by temperx
rightclick on your desktop, go to settings and under the moniter picture it should say “Moniter on Soso Videocard”

That info will not be available until you install drivers for said components.

The correct and easiest method was mentioned by theone1.

I remember from a very long time ago, that there were certain dos utilities that could read the name of the VGA card from its BIOS. I just can’t find such a tool anymore… anybody?

Nero InfoTool ( [COLOR=blue]current 2.07 ) > Hardware tab[/COLOR] :smiley:

Originally posted by BoSkin
Nero InfoTool ( [COLOR=blue]current 2.07 ) > Hardware tab[/COLOR] :smiley:

Does that work without a video driver installed?

Originally posted by Dee-ehn

Does that work without a video driver installed?
Try disabling it in DM and see if it still works…as below :

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]Try disabling it in DM and see if it still works…as below :

[/B]

I’m not really sure if disabling has the same effect as not installing a driver…

I’ll test this however the next time I have to install a Windows PC, I’m quite curious to find out!

Originally posted by Dee-ehn

I’m not really sure if disabling has the same effect as not installing a driver…

[B]Disable =

to make a device nonfunctional[/B].
For example, if you disable a device in a hardware configuration,
you cannot use the device when your computer uses that hardware configuration.
Disabling a device frees the resources that were allocated to the device.

When you disable a device, the physical device stays connected to your computer.
The drivers are available again when you enable the device.

Important

If you disable a device that is required to start the system, such as your floppy disk drive or DVD/CD-ROM drive, these devices will not work, and your system might not start.