How can I digitise my notes?

Alright, after having an unpleasant meeting between a jug of water and a full folder of my university notes, I want to digitise my notes when I have the time to do so, i.e. convert it to an electronic format which I can print as many times as I want to.

I guess that means I have to go for a scanner. Can anyone recommend both a well priced scanner and a software package that lets you string scanned pages together into a many-document ‘book’? At which point does a too high DPI resolution become something that only a professional photographer needs?

I basically want to be able to scan an entire set of notes and be able to print all of it with one click, rather than have multiple .gif files and have to open and print each one, one by one.

You can scan them to Adobe Acrobat files, or have a multipage TIF file.

It would be convenient to have a sheetfeeder on your scanner, provided that the notes you are trying to scan are unwrinkled, but usually that makes the scanner far more expensive.

ps Next time, please save me the time of moving your post to the right forum…hardware forum rather than living room

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
[B]You can scan them to Adobe Acrobat files, or have a multipage TIF file.

It would be convenient to have a sheetfeeder on your scanner, provided that the notes you are trying to scan are unwrinkled, but usually that makes the scanner far more expensive.

ps Next time, please save me the time of moving your post to the right forum…hardware forum rather than living room [/B]

It was ambiguous. I was also talking about software, which I still have not learnt anything about. Are there scanner software packages I should avoid for scanners, like EasyCD vs. Nero in the CD writing software analogue? Maybe you could explain what I should do for ambiguous cases where it does not specifically classify into one category? Should I produce multiple posts in different sections?

P.S. Preferred your old “We have what it takes to take what you have” line :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Devils Advocate

Maybe you could explain what I should do for ambiguous cases where it does not specifically classify into one category? Should I produce multiple posts in different sections?
[/SIZE]

Thought I had this covered in the rules, but couldn’t find it.
You have to choose the forum that is most appropriate. You are right, this also covers software and hardware. Since the question now focusses most on software, I’ll have to move it again :wink:

But as far as I know there isn’t really software you should stay away from. Caere Omnipage is very good I think (last time I tried it I liked it, but that is a while back)

I would recommend any kind of a scanner and the software ABBYY FineReader. It is an excellent Optical Character Recognition software that will scan and save your work as document format while keeping the letters and spacing nearly perfect.

Right now there is ABBYY FineReader 6 as of now, but version 4 and up is good. Also, you can go to their website ABBYY.com and download additional language support files for free. Then it can also recognize different languages.

So, ABBYY FineReader and almost any scanner will work (300 DPI is all that is needed for accurate text scanning).