How can I determine raw+96 reading capability?

vbimport

Dear Sir,

First of all, I don't have a cd burner.

So, armed with only a cdrom drive, what tests can I do to determine if my cdrom can read all the 96 bytes of subchannel data from both audio and data tracks ??

Also, another question. What kind of integrity check performs CloneCD when burning an image file? Does it use CRC32 or MD5?
Or does it use an algorithm made by its author?

And, lastly, this is a bit offtopic, but I'd like to know also if CDRWIN and NERO perform any sort of integrity check in their respective image file formats (.BIN and .NRG)

Many thanks in advance.
Regards.

Originally posted by Leolo
[B]So, armed with only a cdrom drive, what tests can I do to determine if my cdrom can read all the 96 bytes of subchannel data from both audio and data tracks ??

Also, another question. What kind of integrity check performs CloneCD when burning an image file? Does it use CRC32 or MD5?
Or does it use an algorithm made by its author?

And, lastly, this is a bit offtopic, but I’d like to know also if CDRWIN and NERO perform any sort of integrity check in their respective image file formats (.BIN and .NRG)[/B]
There was a site that told you about +96 for readers but, alas, it’s gone - being rebuilt though. However, DiscJuggler will very quickly tell you if you can read CD-Text or not. A huge but free demo download is all that’s required from padus.com. Send a PM to Upp3rd0G about the EDC/ECC - 'cos the developer won’t tell you, I don’t think. ECC was only introduced in CloneCD v4 and remains an option. The PlayStation thing won’t help because it’s the 96 byte write that defeats LibCrypt - that is, an uncorrected Q subcode channel write. The game itself doesn’t require the R-W subcode channels :wink:

Thread copied to the Nero Forum

hi,

to test if your drive can read 96 byte subs from DATA Tracks, you could try to read a PSX CD protected with LibCrypt. Then mount it with Daemon-Tools and run the game with Bleem!. But I don’t know, if Bleem! checks the Libcrypt bytes. Maybe you can analyse the SUB-file created by CloneCD, too. The SUB-file would be compressed less by e.g. WinRAR, I think.
If the drive can read CD-Text, it must be able to read full subchannels because the CD-text is stored in the SUB R-W.
But I’m not absolutely sure. Maybe there are drives that can read CD-Text but not 96 bytes subchannels.

What do you mean exactly with “integrity check”?
If CloneCD/CDRWIN, etc. check for errors on writing?
If this is true, I don’t think so, you can write “non-sense” data, also. CloneCD shouldn’t take care about this. The same for CDRWIN.

If you want to test if your writer reads 96 bytes of subchannel data try last laserlock pc protected games such warrior kings.If back-up is well done…then your reader reads that data!

Good luck!

Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

So, if I understand correctly, the best method for testing raw+96 reading capability in audio tracks is to read an AudioCD with CD-Text information.
And, to test raw+96 capability in data tracks, the solution would be to read a PSX Libcrypt protected CD.

I think I can get hold of a CD-Text-enabled Audio CD; but I find it very difficult to get a PSX CD. I don’t know anyone who has one of those.

However, I could very easily find a friend who has a cd-burner.
Could you give me any advice to build an image of a data CD with 96 bytes of subchannel data?
Should I use an hex editor? Or is there any other (easier) choice?

Regarding the “integrity check” issue: I was referring to some kind of CRC checking like the one found in .RAR or .ZIP files.

I asked that question because I’ve seen many .ISO, .BIN and .NRG files floating around in the eDonkey network, and I was wondering how could I notice whether they are protected against corruption or not.

If they don’t have any CRC checking nor any other “integrity checking” measures, then they are very vulnerable to corruption during transfer.

Why do people send extremely large files that are prone to corruption without zipping them first?

Thanks a million.
Best regards.

hi, now there is a subchannel utility available, which maybe allows you to check the P-W reading ability of a drive.
Get it @ http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~nue .

Wow! A subchannel-utility! I have been looking for this a long time!

The site is japanese, the readme is japanese… Can anybody explain how to use this program?

Edit:

Ok, maybe a little bit to quick with my questions… the program can be executed normally. This program looks very promising! Don’t know what files it reads (I hope CloneCD subchannel files!), but I am going to play with it and see what happens! If anybody has some additional info, please let me (us?) know!

[edit2]
Yes!!! This program is great, it reads the subchannel files from CloneCD!!! Now I can finally check if audio-protections do something special in the subchannels.

:smiley: :cool: :smiley:
[/edit2]

Originally posted by FutureProof
Send a PM to Upp3rd0G about the EDC/ECC - 'cos the developer won’t tell you, I don’t think. ECC was only introduced in CloneCD v4 and remains an option.

Huh? What can I do to shed some light into this matter? I don’t understand… I don’t know if an image (iso, nrg, bin) has some kind of integrety check… I do know that you can check your image for errors with CDmage.

:confused:

Where can I find CDmage?

http://cdmage.cjb.net/