How can I delete the Recycler folder?

Nearly a third of my 160-Gig hard drive is being hogged by something called the Recycler folder, & while I can see the folder and the 5,000+ files in it, when I try to delete the folder or the files I get a dialogue box with a message that says, “cannot delete 0000007.; cannot find specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.” I’ve checked on a number of other websites and forums, but so far none of the suggested remedies have worked. Associates locally tell me that as far as they can see, the only way to delete these files and/or this folder is to reformat my entire hard drive. If anybody out there can provide me with a less drastic solution to this perplexing problem, it will be greatly appreciated.

Look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229041

Thanks for the link, Jethro. I did as instructed, went into DOS mode and tried a number of different combinations (cd windows, cd NPROTECT), all with the same result: “The system cannot find the path specified.” I’m still at a loss as to how to delete numerous files that do exist but are apparently inaccessible, even while taking up a ton of hard drive space.

Try using UnLocker.

Thanks, Beef Barley… you are a CDFreaking genius. Amazingly, UnLocker did the trick, and apparently was just what I needed! I’d never heard of that utility before, but thanks to you, I’m never going to forget it. Thanks again, my Canadian friend. Keep up the good work.

You are welcome.