How can I convert a DVD to a MPEG-4 .avi file?

vbimport

How can I convert a DVD to a MPEG-4 .avi file?

I know how to rip a DVD to VOB files, but I want to convert them so I can play them back on my camera.

The camera records them at 640 x 480 or 320 x 240 both with sound. So in theory if I can convert a music video from a DVD to either of these sizes and copy it onto my cameras SD card it should play back.

But what software do I need to do this?
(my camera’s a Casio Ex-S500 with a 2.2 inch TFT colour display (84,960 pixels - 354 x 240))

Click here for my original post:
http://djgaz.proboards16.com/index.cgi?board=Help&action=display&thread=1123109670

Check out www.dvdrhelp.com. You will find the software, tutorials, and guides on how to do anything related to video.

1. Rip the DVD with Decrypter in IFO mode.
  2. Demux with DGIndex.
  3. Create an AviSynth script to resize and apply whatever other filters you want.
  4. Encode and mux with VirtualDub.

I can’t guarantee that’ll the end file will play in your camcorder or anything - I don’t know anything about that at all - but that’s basically the method I use and it will allow you to resize to whatever resolution you want and give you the most control over the encode.

Or AutoGK will do the lot automaticly (I heard somewhree about it having some adware in it or something, maybe someone else can confirm this?).

Yeah it contains spyware, nothing that malicious but still… Also does it let you set the resolution manually (I genuinely can’t remember)? FairUse seems a decent spyware-free alternative, and there’s GordianKnot also which to my knowledge is still spyware free although I’m distrustful seeing as len0x slipped spyware into AutoGK without announcing it.

AutoGK

I did manage it in the end. Can’t remember how, but I think I used Xilisoft Video Converter 3.
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Nice of you to stop by again GazUK…been a while. :slight_smile:

If you still need xvid avi, I’d suggest using a free gui for ffmpeg called Video to Video.

Or if you’ve moved on to h264 in mp4 or mkv files, I’d recommend Handbrake or Vidcoder.