How can I confirm that a Memorex DVD writer is a rebadged Lite-On?

vbimport

Doing some research I came to the conclusion that the Memorex MRX-530L is a rebadged Lite-On but I’m not sure if it is a LH-20A1H or a DH-20A4P. How can I make sure wich model it is? I want to make sure because I want to cross-flash it. I read somewhere that flashig your drive with the wrong firmware can kill it. Are there any Memorex users that can confirm my drive’s model?

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you checked the drive label carefully for clues? Sometimes the original OEM model is shown there.

If not, you can have a peek inside, 20A1H uses a Sanyo laser pick-up, 20A4[B]H[/B] has a Mitsubishi or Sharp OPU. See here for details: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/opu-ld-lite-18-20x-dvd-burner-241471/

Note: 20A4[B]P[/B] is not a LightSribe model.

You might also identify the drive by firmware version. If it’s 5M64 firmware, then it is a rebadged LiteOn DH-20A1H according to http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/new-20x-memorex-writer-liteon-221268/. Note firmware version might be 5Mxx where “xx” is another number for another firmware version for that drive. Nero Info Tool will show firmware version, or DVD Identifier, which is a free download from http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com/my_site/download.php, will show firmware version if you don’t have Nero.

Thanks everybody for your replies. It’s definitely a DH-20A1H because the firmware version listed in Nero Infotool is 5M64. Now, where can I find a firmware update and how can I cross-flash? I went to the Lite-On site and there’s no DH-20A1H listed. The only models with letters ending in H are: DH-20A4H, DH-20A3H, LH-18A1H LH-20A1H and LTC-48161H. How do I know wich one of this firmwares is the one I need? If I cross-flash, does the drive is going to be able to bitset automatically? Any help will be very apreciated.

Upon closer look http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/new-20x...liteon-221268/ states your drive is a 20A1H without saying whether LH or DH, and according to http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html there seems to be only LH-20A1H that may mean there is no DH-20A1H model which would make yours the LH-20A1H. Maybe someone more familiar with the 20A drives might help, and probably COdeKing should know for certain.

LH-20A1H firmware will be fine. Get “LL0C - stock” firmware and the “Flash Utility” from codeguys.rpc1.org. After the crossflash, you can update to the latest LL0D.

You may want to back-up your EEPROM with the “EEPROM Utility” first and also the original Memorex firmware with the “Flash Utility”. This way you can always restore the drive to its original state.

The “Settings Utility” allows you to set bitsetting permanently. Also from Codeguys.

I was able to cross-flash succesfully but the drive is behaving strangely after flashing. I’m burning a DVD right now and it is highly unstable. Also it never passed of 6X. What have I done wrong? I’ll tell you what I did in so you can give me some tips:

1. I made a backup of both the eeprom and the firmware
  2. I opened the Flash Utility, pushed the Write Flash button and selected the LLOC.exe (cross-flash) the drive was recognized as a Lite-On after that
  3. I ran the LLOD.exe
  4. Booted the machine
    The bios recognized the drive as Lite-On and Nero InfoTool also, but when I tried to burn, I had the results mentioned earlier. Note that I didn’t rebooted the machine after cross-flash because I wasn’t asked. Is that what I did wrong?

It’s highly unstable in what way, and did it never pass 6X burning which media? Is DMA enabled in Device Manager, and are you using 80 wire IDE cable?

Why did you want to cross flash the drive? Personally I wouldn’t consider cross flash unless such flash gained some functionality or unless I was unhappy with performance of original drive. I’m not being critical, just some food for thought. Fortunately you can simply flash back to original if you’re unable to gain satisfactory function as LH-20A1H drive.

I’m glad that you exposed your point of view. By unstable I mean that the burn speed changes constantly from 1X to 6X, it doesn’t keep stable at one speed. I was using 16X single layer media when I was burning. I’m using Win XP, it enables DMA by default, right? Yes I’m using a 80 wire IDE cable. With the cross-flash I just wanted to be able to bitset permanently. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Windows doesn’t always enable DMA after a firmware flash. It may be worth it to check. :wink:

Also, with what tools were you trying to enable bitsetting?

How do I enable DMA then? I’m using Setting Utility from Code Guys to enable bitsetting now that my drive is beeing recognized as a Lite-On, before the cross-flash I was using Lite-On’s Bit Setting Utility 1.3.5 and I was changing it in ImageBurn’s settings wich is the software I use for burning.

Well, first, go into Device Manager and check to see if there is an IDE channel [Primary/Secondary Channels] that’s not in at least UDMA mode 2, ideally with all devices in UDMA mode 4 or higher. The LiteOn should be in UDMA mode 4. Then, if you find any channel with a device not in the proper DMA mode [except the channel with your main booting hard drive], uninstall it and reboot your system. The channel should be reinstalled, along with any device on it, and should install it with the proper DMA.

When bitsetting, did you try to use the option ending in EEPROM in ImgBurn? That option would put your choice to bitset in the drive’s memory, and it would be permanent.

Actually the LiteOn bitsetting tool is called the Book Type Utility, and book type remains set to what it was last set to using this utility for all LiteOn models past 1693. On 1693 and older models it reverts back to the default +R setting, but for newer models it remains set to what it was last changed. This is also true for my Sony DRU-120A which is a rebadged LiteOn SHM-165P6S, and I suspect it’s true of other rebadged LiteOns too including your original MRX-510L as well as the LH-20A1H. Effectively book type is permanently set to DVD-ROM for such drives unless changed by the user.

Thanks to everybody for your replies. DMA is enabled in all channels. How can I cross-flash back to Memorex?

Simply repeat the process in your post #7, but select the Memorex firmware when “Write flash” is selected; then reboot when flash completes.

I have to thank everybody for your replies because you’re so eager to share your knowledge. This is a great community and I hope everybody is doing well. I hope everybody is enjoying the summer as I’m doing. Thanks for reading this.