How can i configure a system with 2 ide burners?

vbimport

i want to put together a system with an ide hdd, dvd-rom, and 2 burners. i want to be able to simultaneously dual burn copies from the dvd-rom or the hdd as the source. is this feasible? i was thinking of setting it up like this:
ide channel 1: HDD - master, DVD-Rom - slave
ide channel 2: CDRW1 - master, CDRW2 - slave
would this be the best way to configure it?
how are the ide devices of a typical system with hdd, dvd, and 1 cdrw situated on the ide channels?

Originally posted by Skeksis
how are the ide devices of a typical system with hdd, dvd, and 1 cdrw situated on the ide channels?
Normally (and in my case) this would be the case:

IDE Channel 1: HDD master, DVD slave
IDE Channel 2: Writer master, slave empty

I don’t have any experience with a dual writer setup so I can’t help you with that. What I do know is that Nero won’t write if the writer and source are on the same IDE channel (eg. when the HDD and writer are on IDE1). So what you’re suggesting would do the trick presuming you use the HDD or DVD as source when writing.

But like I said: I have no experience with this…

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
What I do know is that Nero won’t write if the writer and source are on the same IDE channel

That’s not true.
I have on IDE1 harddisk 30gig(master) 80gig(slave)
IDE2 toshiba dvd 1612(master) Acer 20/10/40(slave)

and on scsi 2 plextor’s 12/10/32s and one ultraplex 40x

I can make perfect copies on the fly at 20x from my dvd to the acer that areon the same IDE chanel with nero

well it was suggested to me in other general hardware forums (not cdrw specific) that i get a raid mobo, or a pci card with ide controller so all of the devices can be on there own separate channel. seems like i shouldn’t have to go through all of that. i’ll only be dual burning from the hdd or dvd-rom. but it is normal to put a cd-rom on the same channel as the hdd? it doesn’t affect the hdd’s performance at all? thanks for the responses.

Originally posted by snowie
I can make perfect copies on the fly at 20x from my dvd to the acer that areon the same IDE chanel with nero
Well I know a lot of people that can’t do this… Maybe it also depends on the other hardware, I don’t know. I thought Nero would never do this. Thanks for clearing it up :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Skeksis
but it is normal to put a cd-rom on the same channel as the hdd? it doesn’t affect the hdd’s performance at all?
Well I read this Dutch thread (you wouldn’t understand it but it refers to your question) and the conclusion was that if you have two devices on the same IDE channel of a different speed (ATA100 and 66 for instance), the speed of both devices will depend on the slowest device. So yes it will negatively effect your hdd performance…