How big is BIG

vbimport

Hi. Newbie here.

Actually have two questions:

1. how big is BIG? I’ve heard that the more you download, the more likely you are to get caught. So…what is considered big? A few hundred MB, a few GB? Even whatever unit comes after GB?

2. Also, I’m slightly confused by all I’ve been reading so far, so this is just a yes/no question. Has legal action ever been taken against anyone who downloads movies/tvshows? So far, it seems to be mostly music.

Thanks in advance.

You can find more info on that Here.

and Here.

I’m sure either one of them will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have! :iagree:

While we here at CDFreaks do not condone piracy, let me allay SOME of your fears. This answer should NOT be considered final, since I wouldn’t put anything past the RIAA.

Traditionally, the RIAA has only targeted what they call “major sharers”. That is people who are UPLOADING (sharing) hundreds of songs. How many hundreds? We don’t know - we aren’t sure what their criteria are. If you maintain a couple dozen of your most recent downloads from Kazaa in your “shared files” directory and move everything else off to CD, you’re PROBABLY not on that list. But there’s no guarantee of that.

The MPAA, on the other hand, has send nasty letters to people who are IN THE PROCESS OF DOWNLOADING a single film. Usually from a trackable P2P medium where they can see how much has been downloaded. If you’re using Kazaa or GNUtella to download a pirated copy of “Star Wars: Episode III”, everyone in the world can see you doing it, and see how much of it you’ve downloaded. Oops! Most people’s solution to this is Peer Guardian and/or Bit Torrent.

Has anyone been sued for downloading movies? Yes, but it’s a qualified yes. In all cases it has turned out that those people are ALSO major file movers. No action has ever been taken (beyond a cease & desist letter) against your average neighborhood downloader.

Does that mean none ever will? Absolutely not. As P2P gets better and better protected against criminal prosecution, the **AA’s will have NO CHOICE but to target small-time end users. Will they prevail? Absolutely. They have no case, but they have A LOT OF MONEY. You or I stand absolutely no chance against them, even though their charges are baseless. That’s sad and unfair, but true. :frowning:

1. Big is doing 1+ Gb a day of up or down stream, this may get you noticed but they probably wont care unless you keep it up 24/7, would definitly not recommend going over 10GB a day. They usually care more about number of files tho’ (at least for music) so keeping it below a few hundred Mp3’s would be recommended. Best way of avoiding trouble is to use a good p2p, avoid Bittorrent & Kazaa. Can recommend eMule (with peerguardian list) or MUTE. [PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS AND COULD BE WRONG]
  1. Yes. In your county? Yes. Individuals? Yes. Individuals just downloading? Yes. Probability of being caught 0.00000001% or may be less . . . basically unless your really dumb you’ll be fine just avoid certain p2p’s ie the ones listed above which always get the RIAA looking at the logs, install an ip list blocker for “bad” connections and don’t constantly max out your connection 24/7 and you’ll be fine. [Personally max out my 2MBps ADSL connection for about 3 days a week and i’m not worried :stuck_out_tongue: ]

just avoid certain p2p’s ie the ones listed above which always get the RIAA looking at the logs

…meaning

Kazaa or GNUtella

Is that right? By the way, thanks to everyone who has replied so far :slight_smile:

I just recently got an 8 MB ADSL connection and have been downloading way too much! In a few days I filled up my 40 GB Partition!

I only share legal stuff though (Linux, Shareware, Freeware, Demos)

Like i said you really want to avoid Kazaa and Bit Torrent as these are the easiest ones for the RIAA to follow up on ie most people who get sued use these networks! Probably true for Gnutella but not sure as i can’t remember reading anything percific about them. Get PeerGaurdian asap and try some of the other networks out ie eMule, MUTE, Morpheous (possibly) . . . basically anyone which has an inbuilt safe gaurd. eg. eMule wont share out your share folder so you have to download a file off you to know you have it, so the RIAA has no idea how many files you have; and for MUTE due its network config no one has any idea if your downloading the last bit of data to go through you or if your just passing it along.