How big a TV should I buy?

Most people sit about 9 feet from their TV. THX recommends a display that fills 40 degrees of your field of vision.
(Credit: Geoffrey Morrison)

How big a TV should you buy? 37? 42? 50? 65? 90? There’s a TV in nearly every size you can want, and at nearly every budget.

As long as you’re not limited by a cabinet or entertainment center, you can probably get a bigger TV than you’re figuring. Possibly, a lot bigger.

Here’s how to figure out how big you can go.

The short answer: as big as you can afford. The longer answer depends on your room, your seating distance, your eyes, and the acceptance of any cohabiting co-deciders.

Link: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57468333-221/how-big-a-tv-should-i-buy/

:cool::cool:

…The short answer: as big as you can afford. The longer answer depends on your room, your seating distance, your eyes, and the acceptance of any cohabiting co-deciders.

WAF FTW!

When I read stuff like this I always think of whether the source profits from their recommendations. Who does CNET get revenue from?

Well, They are owned by CBS.

37" was as big as we could fit in our living room cabinet that doesn’t block its upper doors. With most TVs now having thin edges around the screen, I’m sure most newer 42" TVs would fit fine. Even if the cabinet wasn’t a limitation, I’m sure a 50" would just look overkill in our living room while not in use, like a portable air conditioner in the middle of winter.

I admit I was an early fan of a big screen and have had an 80" projection screen, which I got in 2004. Its resolution is 720p, which at the time was very impressive considering most 42" TVs around the time started at double its price and had a resolution of just 848 x 480. Even today, I’m still happy with its 720p resolution and had visitors who were convinced it was 1080p. However, despite the huge picture, I still watch the majority of content on my 24" PC monitor.

Isn’t it terrible that this thread’s subject line isn’t “How big and how many TVs should the OP buy for his MyCE chums”?

If asked, I could have therefore counseled “An 80-incher would be acceptable, and we could move the scrawny 70-incher into the other room… If the OP sent two 60-inchers, I could find a good use for them, too.”

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711620]Isn’t it terrible that this thread’s subject line isn’t “How big and how many TVs should the OP buy for his MyCE chums”?

If asked, I could have therefore counseled “An 80-incher would be acceptable, and we could move the scrawny 70-incher into the other room… If the OP sent two 60-inchers, I could find a good use for them, too.”[/QUOTE]
Just remember: 4 60-inchers make a 120-incher! 10 full feet of glorious diagonal!

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2711640]Just remember: 4 60-inchers make a 120-incher! 10 full feet of glorious diagonal![/QUOTE]With just a slightly non-contiguous screen area.

//youtu.be/WBF5bewa0ts

At least Oly didn’t mention that, when I hooked up his 4-screen rig to my Surface tablet, it wouldn’t be 50% faster. Darn. All I ever wanted, too…

I would buy as big a TV as you can afford. Nothing like having your own screening room. My dream.:wink:

As said, it all depends of the distance to the telly…:wink:
And I don’t agree with above posters.
In our living room (rather long one) the sofa is placed abouth 15 - 17 feets from TV stand. We have an 46" led and that’s just enough IMO. :slight_smile:

BTW. When we (guys) are looking at soccer we always have our 70" projector in reserv if needed.

I don’t like anything weighing over 20kg. Those 30-inch 2560*1600 monitors I had in 2007 were too heavy. Modern replacements are based on AH-IPS panels with improved quality and thinner dimensions.

As far as I know, there’s no inexpensive 32-inch, 37-inch, 42-inch, or any larger size panel for TVs and computer monitors that is both thin and light enough. That’ll take at least a few more years for that to come in mass.

Dell’s probably releasing 28-inch 38402160 monitors for under US$1,000 and it’s by now apparent Apple’s soon releasing 38402160 or higher resolution monitors with Thunderbolt connectors.

Just how big a TV is big enough for anyone? What about the energy cost to keep the place (a place large enough to justify the size of the screen) to watch TV warm in winter and cool in summer? What about the rent cost if you are not the owner? Electricity consumption’s another issue. 50-inch LCD consumers a lot more than 30-inch LCD. A typical 27-inch 25601440 monitor consumers almost twice as much electricity than a 27-inch 19201080 one.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2711772]…we (guys)…always have our 70" projector in reserv if needed.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. You Guys. Leaving us to squint and fret over who’s getting killed next on WALKING SOAP OPERA. No wonder some hubby’s are left chained to dungeon walls.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711620]Isn’t it terrible that this thread’s subject line isn’t “How big and how many TVs should the OP buy for his MyCE chums”?

If asked, I could have therefore counseled “An 80-incher would be acceptable, and we could move the scrawny 70-incher into the other room… If the OP sent two 60-inchers, I could find a good use for them, too.”[/QUOTE]

Apparently I must of won the lottery and no one told me. :bigsmile:

We were given a 42" Sony 42EX440 last year for Xmas and after having a 34" CRT HD set since 2005 it seems HUGE. If I was buying on my own dime I’d probably get a 50-60 inch now as that seems to be the sweet spot between price vs performance and I could care less about smart TV functions as I have two media players and a new Samsung Cable card box with smart TV stuff built in, plus I can’t see 3d either so no need for that as well.
The Sony has no extras and two HDMI inputs but surprisingly it has excellent black levels and pretty good viewing angle for a cheap LED set so been very happy with it and if any of you are looking for a nice cheap set that does actually still look great I’d recommend it, they are discontinued now but there might still be some floating around cheap and unsold.
Now if money was no object one of the better quality UHD sets or a OLED would be nice so I could get back the kind of viewing angles and black levels my CRT set could do, but with the sharp text of a LCD in native res.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2712227]Apparently I must of won the lottery and no one told me. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
The fate of our forum-world - all dying for those massive TV sets! - and NO ONE bothered to alert Plat! Curses!