How best to set up DVD's on hard drive for handicapped person

Hi,

I am a newbie to copying dvds. I just loaded the Slysoft programs to my brothers pc a couple weeks ago and noticed when I did my first copy to hard drive that the result might be hard for my brother to use.

What I am shooting for is to copy a couple hundred shows to his pc hard drive(s) and using something simple like media player classic, for him to be able to play back the movies in best quality possible from a set up on his hard drive for show with maybe subcategories for action, drama, horror, etc… and just click and play functionality.

With anydvd and clone dvd I had no problem copying, but it list things as audio and visual and then shows a half dozen files or so for each movie… If possible I would like to just have him click on the file for the movie and have it play.

My question is most concerned with the end result… easy find and playback for my handicapped brother who needs things simple… his condition makes it hard for him to do anyting complicated with mouse… just left and right clicks are all he would want to have to do.

Mike

Make a playlist, then things should be easier.

200 movies is massive in capacity terms. 4gig per movie that’s a massive 800 gig drive already you needed.
I think there’s no easy way to do it as you probably have to store them on .avi or .vob files to be playable to stand alone players like power DVD. i might be wrong though.
I would stick to the disc and catalog them in a shoe box. I think its easier for your brother to just get the disc and sling it to the PC CD tray and had the drive set to Auto play with Video or film. Quality 100%.

If you’re going to keep the movies in dvd format maybe you might want to consider this: 1. Get as big a HD as you can afford, 2. Associate the .ifo extension to Powerdvd or some other program so that when you click on the VIDEO_TS.IFO it will play the movie., 3. Get a launcher program like one of these. Create a shortcut to each of the movies .ifo file so that when clicked the movie will play. You can do the same if it’s a .mpg, .avi, .wmv etc. You can also consider using an autorun menu creator similiar to Quick Menu Builder and creating a shortcut to the menu if you want to get more fancy. You can create a multiple page menu with covers and so forth. Doing it this way you’re just moving the mouse and clicking on shortcuts.

Hi,

I like the idea of setting up a playlist. :iagree:

I don’t know anything about ifo files, etc…

I guess I am looking for some step by step guide to get this done.

I plan to buy a copy or two of anydvd, etc… before the massive price increase with change to Euro next year. :sad:

When I first tried to copy a dvd to hard drive…using clone dvd, I got multiple files. Yes, I could click on one to play, but is there some better way to copy dvd files to just do the movie or maybe special features??

I just want one file per movie, if possible and just got a WD 750 GB AAKS hard drive to store things.

Sickoone I will read up on what you posted. :eek:

Can anyone point me to a good step by step guide to set up a playlist?

Thanks,

Mike

I want to set up a playlist and need to be stepped through how to copy the dvds the best way… save space if possible and what programs I needs so it is click and play.

I will read more and

Did you find a good solution?. I am looking for the best option to set up similar for my brother in law with limited eyesight and poor hand/limb mobility (but excellent cognition). He really wants to watch DVD’s but the staff at his accommodation aren’t allowed to change a DVD for him. I’m thinking a collection of 20-30 will be fine, with easy option for non techos (family) to change the selection once a month or so

[QUOTE=healthyflight;2480047]Did you find a good solution?. I am looking for the best option to set up similar for my brother in law with limited eyesight and poor hand/limb mobility (but excellent cognition). He really wants to watch DVD’s but the staff at his accommodation aren’t allowed to change a DVD for him. I’m thinking a collection of 20-30 will be fine, with easy option for non techos (family) to change the selection once a month or so[/QUOTE]

Do you mean play the movies from a hard drive? If yes, they need to be ripped (decrypted) to the hard drive using a program like DVDFab. Once they are on your drive, you can use any of several different software media players to create a playist of the movies you want to watch. Some freeware options:
Media Player Classic
VLC
KMPlayer
XBMC

If you rip to an ISO file, and associate VLC with ISO files, you can have the complete DVD (menus and extras) available with one click loading and single file per movie storage.

[QUOTE=healthyflight;2480047]Did you find a good solution?. I am looking for the best option to set up similar for my brother in law with limited eyesight and poor hand/limb mobility (but excellent cognition). He really wants to watch DVD’s but the staff at his accommodation aren’t allowed to change a DVD for him. I’m thinking a collection of 20-30 will be fine, with easy option for non techos (family) to change the selection once a month or so[/QUOTE]

is it possible for him to watch movies on a ipod, psp or zune?