How best to improve Liteon DVD LDW-451S?

vbimport

I have an older system based on:

AMD 2500+ XP
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2
512 mb ddr ram
Winfast A250 LE
2x 40 Gb maxtors HD
15 Gb Quantum HD
LG CD-rom CDR-8522B (Orginal firware)
Liteon DVDRW LDW-451S (Orginal firware)

The software used is:

Burning: Nero 6 (Ver. 6, 3, 1, 25) with require patches eg. DCOM98.EXE
Movie Backup: Dvdshrink 3.2
Movie Playback: WinfastDVD (Ver. 3.1.91.104)

I have two questions, first reguarding firmware upgrading, and second reguarding Dvdshrink and Nero compatability.

1/ From what I have read at this forum it possible improve a LDW-451S by crossflashing the firmware, as I understand it I can gain Daul layer caperability and more stable burning, but no increase in actual burning speeds, I’ve noted that there is more than one way to do this and there seems to be more than one type of firmware. So what is the simplest way and which is the best way, Stability and added caperability is what I am looking for ?

2/ I’ve recentily upgraded to Dvdshrink 3.2 and Nero 6 (Ver. 6.3.1.25) and have been having problems with memerory hogging, basicily when burining the leadout phase, there is no free memerory available and the burn fails, if I manualily free at least 20 mb just prior to the leadout phase the burn will complete, this problem did not exist before upgrading the software, I checked the forum and found threads about dvdshrink and Nero incompatability, but they only mention specific versions of nero causeing problems, Anyone know more about this and what the problem was?