How (bad) is Western Digital Raptor X?

vbimport

I bought Raptor X 150GB 10000 RPM from newegg and it’s DOA, lots of bad sectors. RMA back to newegg, they received it and emailed me that the item is out of stock or discontinued thus I will get full refund. Their website is now showing “Deactivated item”! :eek:

Is the drive that bad so newegg doesn’t want to sell it anymore, or it is indeed discontinued since I also can’t find it on wdc.com “Product List”.

Should I forget about Raptor X and get the original Raptor 150GB?

Go for the VelociRaptor. Theres nothing wrong with any of the Raptors, they are build like trucks. NewEgg has a reputation for delivering bad drives due to poor packing and handling.

BTW, the Raptor X has nothing over the regular Raptors other than a window and some firmware updates.

I just read about Velociraptor and yes they are fast, even faster than Raptor. But I don’t think I can shell out $270 now.

I wanted to try Raptor 150GB ($160-ish) and later maybe a second one for RAID0. So total for RAID0 will be a a few bucks higher than a single Velociraptor. I never do RAID before so I’m exited. I was thinking to get 2x Raptor 74GB just for testing, will it be faster than a single non-raid Raptor 150GB?

My current XP + all softwares in drive C is only 25GB and I have LOTS of program in it so I think I don’t need more than 150GB for drive C, that’s one more reason I’m not leaning toward Velociraptor. And I don’t do games a lot but I do video encoding some times.

[quote=helsenvan;2109470]I just read about Velociraptor and yes they are fast, even faster than Raptor. But I don’t think I can shell out $270 now.

I wanted to try Raptor 150GB ($160-ish) and later maybe a second one for RAID0. So total for RAID0 will be a a few bucks higher than a single Velociraptor. I never do RAID before so I’m exited. I was thinking to get 2x Raptor 74GB just for testing, will it be faster than a single non-raid Raptor 150GB?

My current XP + all softwares in drive C is only 25GB and I have LOTS of program in it so I think I don’t need more than 150GB for drive C, that’s one more reason I’m not leaning toward Velociraptor. And I don’t do games a lot but I do video encoding some times.[/quote]
Hmmm, 270.00 is a real good price, I just bought one from WD for 285.00 and that was with a 15.00 discount.

[QUOTE=helsenvan;2109470]I just read about Velociraptor and yes they are fast, even faster than Raptor. But I don’t think I can shell out $270 now.

My current XP + all softwares in drive C is only 25GB and I have LOTS of program in it so I think I don’t need more than 150GB for drive C, that’s one more reason I’m not leaning toward Velociraptor. And I don’t do games a lot but I do video encoding some times.[/QUOTE]

The 74GB Raptors are single-platter and inherently quicker than the double-platter 150s. As to RAID-0, you won’t notice huge differences compared to a single drive EXCEPT for sustained large file transfers. Or, when burning multiple DVDs, RAID-0 will allow faster burn speeds, maybe 16x x 2. Try that with any other drive. A single Raptor, fully loaded, should allow 8-12x x 2 burns easily.

alan1476, sorry it was $289 at newegg so yeah it’s $120 more from Raptor 150GB.

CDan I don’t plan to burn multiple DVDs at once but thanks for your valuable info. :slight_smile: You said the 74GB is faster but the price is $149 while the 150GB is $169 so I think I will settle for 150GB for now. Thanks.