How bad is this HP branded CMC M01?

How bad is this media?

Using Plextor 712A v1.09 and CMC MAG M01 branded HP printable inkjet.

Burn was at 8x.

Quality looked like attached image (cmc_mag_m01_plex_712a_Disc_quality_08-July-2009.png )

Should I return it to frys. Was using Sony branded before.

Yep. Its a piece of shit. You can throw that to garbage, and others too.
Check my thread.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/maxell-dvd-r-cmc-mag-m01-unreadable-some-drives-278320/
As i found out somewhere and make me laugh, CMC - Crap Media Corporation

I cannot judge the Plextor scans, because I don´t own a Plextor, but my BenQ scans of HP DVD+R 16x non printable from CMC with CD/DVD-Speed showed similar numbers.
Nevertheless, the discs were readable on my standalone player.

Your 712 was produced before 16x media became mainstream, and so support from your firmware on the drive may be poor for the CMC media. CMC MAG M01 is renowned to be problematic as quality varies a lot. This can cause older drive to struggle.

HP branded CMC’s are usually of a pretty good standard ( in my experience)

Maybe you should try and get one burnt in another drive to rule out a firmware issue.

I had the same with maxell, probably other tries are not worth your time…

Do you have a chance to test them in another drives?
I think it’s worth some effort - HP media were always one of the highest grade CMCs available on the market.

I agree with jubjubbird. That Plextor PX-712A does not write particularly well to most modern 16x-rated blank DVD media. I have always known that burns on CMC MAG M01 media have always produced relatively high jitter levels – but the average jitter level on that particular burn is rather astronomical. In addition, the burn on that particular disc would normally be fine except near the edge of the disc.

[QUOTE=pepst;2305221]Do you have a chance to test them in another drives?
I think it’s worth some effort - HP media were always one of the highest grade CMCs available on the market.[/QUOTE]

Yeah…do it. I mean, you don´t wanna go jumping to conclusions…ya never know eh!

hehe…couldn´t resist :wink:

I tried about 5 drives with maxell, no difference - shit always stay shit lol

[QUOTE=deanimator;2305903]Yeah…do it. I mean, you don´t wanna go jumping to conclusions…ya never know eh!

hehe…couldn´t resist ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL!! :bigsmile:

I never tried the HP M01s (just their AM3, the 16x -R)…but my other M01s (TDK, Infiniti) didn’t scan very well on a LiteOn drive - like katraine, I’m not best placed to judge a Plex scan as I don’t own a Plextor.

If you don’t mind using -R instead, I’d try the HP 16x -Rs.

I had few before, they were garbage. I also had Philips CMC’s, they burn great.

I thought that with HP, I will get “premium” CMC’s, but that was not case.

Anyway, I will probably never try them again.