How about a Stand Alone AnyDVD program?

I really think a stand alone program instead of a device driver would be great. I’ve got to think that there are quit a few people (like myself) who hate the idea of having another device driver running. Mostly, my feelings are do to the fact that AnyDVD has and always had problems running correctly with my equipment - sometimes yes and sometimes no. And when it doesn’t work the drives are useless - requires a reboot.

I’ve never had any problems with ClonneDVD2 (great program) or DVD shrink or DVD Decrypter. I use these programs for hours every day.

Could be a conficlt of drivers/programs, do you have DVD43 running aswell ?.
Anydvd runs fine in the background here, no problems.

This is exactly the problem with drivers - The first question is what else am I running. One of my machines is a “clean” Win XP2 machine without any software other than DVD copying and burning stuff not even a network, no antivirus etc. - zip. As far as I know AnyDVD is the only program I’ve tried that doesn’t run on the machine, but like I said I don’t use much software or drivers on this machine as it is my main “burner”.

The only programs on this computer are ClonneDVD2 (great program), DVD shrink DVD Decrypter and CD-DVD Speed.

@ ElliotW,

There is no problem with the AnyDVD software program. It is proven mature stable program, which has been around for over two years, is routinely updated and improved, and used by thousands of users without any reported problems.

I suggest that there is a possible problem existing with your particular hardware driver base. I would not be suggesting that there is some “flaw” with the AnyDVD software program design and requesting that the software developer re-invert the wheel just because you have a problem with your particular computer system.

You state “The first question is what else am I running”. You are focusing on software program conflicts and ignoring possible hardware driver problems. I suggest that the first question is “Have you ensured that your hardware devices are using the most up to date drivers”.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Are you using Windows native IDE drivers for your DVD drive(s) or are you using Nvidia or Intel, these are known to cause conflicts.

Oh, how many ways can I say it. I’m running a clean Win Xp2 machine (All MS drivers etc) almost no software. I’ve found AnyDVD be be problematic on other machines as well. I and my co-workers don’t use it for those reasons. Any we don’t recommend it to associates for those reasons (I can’t run around testing it on every machine and most people don’t have a clue about hardware/driver specifics). I’m really not trying to knock the program (I love CloneDVD2) but I really really wish AnyDVD would run as stand alone (sort of like DVD Decrypter) - then we can just drop forever all the questions about specific hardware!!

As to AnyDVD being “table and mature” - your kidding right? If you review this board you’ll find many many many people with hardware conficts asking for help; while under the Shrink or DVd decrypter boards you’ll find people asking why the program can’t make a correct copy, but almost no one asking how to get these programs running. This the root of the problem - device drivers need to be tested across a great range of hardware. I just want a stand alone program.

it’s the first time someone reports problems with a machine where only MS drivers
are installed, normally problems are caused by Nvidia or Intel drivers

Try saying it the correct way, were not mind readers.

No mobo drivers ?

What kind of DVD burner are you using?

Don’t like it? Don’t use it! Don’t bitch about it!

You could have fooled me!

No, not kidding…and bjkg said nothing about tables, he said it was “STABLE and mature”

And I want a million dollars & a new car! :iagree:

Do we feel better now? I do, and you should too! :iagree:

P.S. I LOVE AnyDVD, it works GREAT!!! You can get it at: www.slysoft.com

Peace & Luv,

DJ Mind

I’m running my Sony DVD burner through Firewire, with a Maxtor external 250Gig on a seperate PCMCIA Firewire connection on my laptop - this is probably a very confusing setup for most software - I have say I have never has a single bit of trouble that can be attributed to AnyDVD - seems to be very stable on my system.

Come on people show some common sense. I’m not bitching about the program. I like the way it works when it works. In fact, I am asking for a version that will work on more machines more often.

@ ElliotW,

If in fact you CLOSELY looked at these instance that you refer to concerning reports of problems with the AnyDVD software program you would find that they boil down to User Error. I stand by my original statement that AnyDVD is a proven stable mature software program and works as advertised.

I believe you have missed the simplicity of using AnyDVD. When using AnyDVD you don’t have to copy anything to your hard drive like is required with DVD Decrypter for AnyDVD to remove region coding or copy protections. If using an antiquated software program like DVD Decrypter meets your needs please use it and cease your feeble attempt to discredit the AnyDVD software program.

If you really wanted to get to the bottom of your problem you would contact SlySoft Technical Support Staff and provide them with precise detailed information and work with them to correct your problem. Instead you use a wild broad statement that you and all your co-workers stay away from AnyDVD for problematic reasons and suggest that the software contains a design flaw.

Each to their own but don’t suggest because you and your friends can’t figure out how to use to AnyDVD software program properly that there is some type of design flaw in the software that necessitates SlySoft to re-write the program.

Best Regards,
bjkg

ElliottW,
I can understand your frustration, but asking for a standalone program is not the solution. Even if it came in a program version that is no guarentee it will work in your situation, It’s obvious you are in the minority and the program works as designed for most. You say many have problems with AnyDVD, I am inclined to believe it is not the programs fault but rather user error or system conflicts.

By me suggesting you check your IDE drivers is one diagnostic tool to eliminate the cause. By you replying “Oh, how many ways can I say it. I’m running a clean Win Xp2 machine (All MS drivers etc) almost no software”

You never said you were using all MS drivers, we can only go by what you tell us because we’re not sitting in front of your machine. Many times after probing someone will say, oh I forget to mention, blah, blah blah, well that blah,blah blah, was the source of the problem that we were not aware of.

I’m not saying we are experts here, far from it, but we do try to help one another the best we can with suggestions that have worked in the past.

Please try to be a bit more cooperative, rather than argumentative, and I’m sure people will try harder to help you.

Elliot,

You’d be surprised how many people insist that they’re doing EVERYTHING right but they’ve missed some fundamental silly little thing.

While I’m not suggesting that you are, I’m suggesting that it’s POSSIBLE that you are. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen AnyDVD have problems before, but usually it was on retrograde equipment. Can you give us some sort of quick rundown on what drives/chipsets AnyDVD has given you problems with? You say that you and a bunch of coworkers have all seen it have problems. I suggest maybe there’s some sort of common thread there.

You will, sadly, not get your wish. But even if you did, it wouldn’t do much for you because if the AnyDVD “driver” (really a small TSR-ish executable that loads up the ELBYCDIO filter DLL) causes problems with your drive, so would any mythical standalone program based on AnyDVD. Exact same problems, exact same cure - reboot. :frowning:

Gurm, thank you for you explaination of what AnyDVD is actually doing. Yes it would still be a problem unless a re-write is undertaken. There are too many PC’s that pass through the shop where I’m now working (semi-retired) and we like to load up a buch of shareware/trialware “goodies” when we’re finished with them. I’ve found that AnyDVD workes on the large majority of newer machines (with some exceptions) and less on the older machines as you suspected.

My personal machines don’t matter. I was just giving the specs for the most simple set-up that I have had some problems with. What I can’t do is give a client software that may lock-up their machine at a critical time.

What I was hoping for was that the underlying “cracking” portion of the code could be separated from the hooks into the device driver so that a “regular windows” front end could be added without too much trouble. You’ve answered that question.

Elliot

This isn’t quite true. AnyDVD is a real kernel mode driver, and not some hooker DLL invading someone’s process space. ElbyCDIO.dll certainly isn’t a “filter DLL”, it is the Elaborate Bytes AG alternative to access CD/DVD peripherals.

I personally could not live without AnyDVD - I refuse to watch any DVD without AnyDVD active for many reasons. I can share the DVD drive over the Network. I rip with Total Commander if I like.

But what ElliotW wants, is “DVD Decrypter with AnyDVD’s brain and SlySoft support”.
With DVD Decrypter around, such a program didn’t make much sense. But with DVD Decrypter no longer developed, an “AnyDVD Decrypter” would probably find its user base. I personally wouldn’t need it, but some people probably would.
A lot of people don’t understand the concept and beauty of AnyDVD. They ask “nice fox icon, but where is the rip button?”.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head - most people are used to ripping to remove decryption (or doing it all in one process with DVD Shrink) with AnyDVD we just drag’n’drop in Explorer, which can seem a little odd.

If you want an ISO image, you can still rip using DVD Decrypter (with AnyDVD removing the protection instead of Decrypter).

I can see that people could prefer “AnyDVD Decrypter” to another driver to contaminate the system…

Personally I use AnyDVD and Nero Recode2, I wouldn’t go back to Decrypter+DVD Shrink now, after using Decrypter+Shrink for 2 years and AnyDVD+Recode for a week!

Ok, yes but it’s not a driver the same way that the CloneCD virtual CloneDrive is a driver, for example. There’s no added “device”. It’s essentially a filter, and one that can be disabled at will. As I said previously, it’s only on relatively retrograde equipment that the actual driver part of things messes up the system enough to need a reboot/cleaning. It’s a driver in the same way that ASPI and SPTI and Patin/Couffin are drivers, yes. :slight_smile: My apologies. No offense intended.

I personally could not live without AnyDVD - I refuse to watch any DVD without AnyDVD active for many reasons. I can share the DVD drive over the Network. I rip with Total Commander if I like.

Yeppers. I agree, and have for some time.

But what ElliotW wants, is “DVD Decrypter with AnyDVD’s brain and SlySoft support”.
With DVD Decrypter around, such a program didn’t make much sense. But with DVD Decrypter no longer developed, an “AnyDVD Decrypter” would probably find its user base. I personally wouldn’t need it, but some people probably would.

Right, but I contend that unless something were rewritten in ElbyCDIO, such a program STILL wouldn’t work on the systems that have trouble with AnyDVD… since the trouble they’re having is related to dodgy hardware interacting with the IO driver.

A lot of people don’t understand the concept and beauty of AnyDVD. They ask “nice fox icon, but where is the rip button?”.

Yeah. They say “that’s not a ripper… what’s going on?”

None taken.

I have to disagree. CloneDVD uses ElbyCDIO and ElliotW hasn’t any problems. A filter driver with the complexity of AnyDVD is a hard job to do, as it has to work with every stupid application and every wrong behaving driver in the system. You must look at the magic it is doing in real-time!
Trust me, it is a hell of work and requires extreme knowledge of the kernel operations to make it work as stable as it is working now.
(I am a little proud… :slight_smile: )

But whatever you do, how clever you might be - there is always a chance of some strange conflict.

“AnyDVD Decrypter” would be a standalone application, only living in user mode process space. The chances to conflict with something else are very slim.