House panel approves copyright, spyware bills

vbimport

Hackers who secretly install “spyware” on others’ computers and Internet users who copy movies and music without permission could face up to three years in prison under bills that advanced in Congress Wednesday.

The House Judiciary Committee voted to enlist the government to a greater degree in the entertainment industry’s fight against those who copy its products over the Internet.

The committee also voted to establish criminal penalties for those who install spyware on others’ computers to commit identity theft or other crimes.

Full Story Can Be Read @ CNN.Com

Hopefully this is going to start kicking some spyware asses. I suppose next though we will get the “What is spyware?” debate for 3 years.

The committee also voted to establish criminal penalties for those who install spyware on others’ computers to commit identity theft or other crimes.

To me logging my net usage and sending it back to a website is a crime. Will it be to them though???

My problem is these legislators are being manipulated by the recording industry. The congressmen, senators, and judges who are charged with writing and enforcing these laws don’t have any idea about technology or that they should keep their damn noses out of it.

Donates another $25.00 to EFF