Hot water and soap

vbimport

My first two attempts at backing up with AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 were a success, after I washed both sides of the disk. :smiley:
The disk played fine in both the computer and 2 stand alone players and there weren’t any finger prints that I could see but CloneDVD2 thought otherwise.
I haven’t taken to boiling DVDs yet but it may come to that.
I’m embarked on my total backup plan and, with luck, I’ll never have to buy a whole season collection again because I lost one disk.
CDFreaks and the SlySoft are wallet savers. :clap:

Thanks, diskwatcher, for those comments :flower:. We are always glad to receive feedback if the members’ advice on CD Freaks forums has been helpful.

I’ll move this post to the SlySoft AnyDVD forum, as I’m sure they would like to see your appreciation too. :wink:

I think we should better call him diskwasher than diskwatcher :iagree:

Tom

ROTFL!! :bow: :flower:

right on :smiley:

I prefer alcohol to clean dvds, but if this works, go for it. :slight_smile:

Seriously
soap and warm water does work great on disks covered with grease from kids’ misuse

Personally,
Id be concerned with soap residue, which of course you dont get with denatured alcohol.

I’ve been using soap and warm water to clean CDs & DVDs for years. A through rinsing and wiping with a soft cloth never leaves any soap residue that I have found.

Rental DVDs that fail to play get the same treatment and it has “cured” all but one that failed. The one that failed had a large, deep scratch and a chip out of the edge.

I have used the liquid dishwashing soap “fix” for years and it works way better than alcohol which can clean a scratch or scuff so well that it is actually a harder problem to for the laser beam overcome. Alcohol is ok for just removing smudges from an otherwise perfect play surface. And the light dishwashing soap residue that is left over on the disk actually works in your favor. But I [I]always[/I] use cold water rather than warm … warm water may affect the bonding of the layers of the disk. And the boiling water idea was a real bad idea (no offence).

Here are pastes of two postings I made years ago on the afterdawn forums:

…“finger-wash” the resurfaced disk with a thick, concentrated dishwashing liquid and just a little water moisture, then rub-rinse under running cool water and dry completely with a soft towel (especially around the disk-hub) before placing it in your ripper. Blowing out with compressed air, at an angle, any mosture remaining in the bonded layers at the hub helps totally dry the hub. Then towel those droplets again. Concentrated dishwashing liquid has optical improvement qualities, believe it or not …
and another posting:
dangerous
Sorry to jump in so late, I’ve been on my own wavelength with stollery. Is your original in absolute “pristine” perfect condition? Look at the play side very carefully under good lighting conditions.

That abort/retry/ etc message is usually a “hickup” to a damaged disk-read. What may look like an insignificant scuff can cause your reader’s laser beam to misread certain originals even when a similar looking scuff played fine on another original disk(s). (maybe something to do with differing manufacturing techniques or materials) Look VERY carefully at the disk for scratches or scuffing especially scuffing going “around” the circle-diameter-direction of the disk rather than scuffing straight out from the hub of the disk like the spoke of a wheel. The “around” kind of scratching is the hardest for your reader’s laser beam to correct for.

Try Ladybug’s trick of washing the original movie with a cool, fairly concentrated 1:20 +/- ratio dishwashing soap/water-solution (the hand kind, not the machine kind). Rub pretty hard with your fingers, over the whole playing surface, and in little circles on the dvd as if you were trying to “push” a “deep-clean” soap into the crevasses of the plastic. I suspect her dishwashing soap trick works because of the residial-residue-coating-agent left behind after rinsing (you know how the ads brag that it leaves no spots and dries with a “crystal clear shean”) fills in tiny scratches or flaws in the original disk so the laser gets a better “read”. Rinse just enough to get the soap bubbles off but don’t “over rinse” the disk under cool water. Shake off residual water and dry the disk by patting (not rubbing) it lightly with a clean, soft, fuzzy towel. And get it into your reader real quick for ripping (have your system “ready to go”). Five to ten minutes after washing the disk this whole trick is less effective (ie something about its increased readability degrades after a few minutes). I know this sounds kookie but I am not pulling your leg and it has worked many times for me and other posters.
Best regards,
Whisperer

The things washing is good for :bigsmile:
No residue from hot water and soap but then I live in a soft water area.
If I didn’t I’d probably pick up some distilled water at the local supermarket.
Like pjc said, a through rinsing followed by drying with a soft cloth finishes the job.
It won’t work with deep scratches but it’s fine with everything else.