6 GB free space for DVD authoring RAM 128 MB
Monitor Display Resoution 1024 X 768 at 16-bit color
OS Support - Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP

Dimension:
144.2 mm x 41.3 mm x 190.0 mm(cm)

Weight:
965g ± 10g (with Bezel)
Warranty And Service:
warrants your DRIVE against any defect in material and workmanship, under normal use, for a period of one year following its date of purchase. In the event this product is found to be defective within the warranty period, NU will, at its option, repair or replace the defective unit.
This warranty is void if:

The device is operated or stored under abnormal use and maintenance conditions.
If the unit is repaired, modified or altered, unless such repair, modification or alteration is expressly authorized in writing by NU.
If the unit is subject to abuse, neglect, lighting strike, electrical fault, improper packaging, or accident.
If the unit is installed improperly.
If the serial number of the unit is defaced or missing.

The DDW-081 is a half-height internal type and an IDE/ATAPI interface DVD+R/RW recordable drive. The drive is able to write DVD+R/RW discs as well CD-R/RW discs and can perform as a regular DVD-ROM drive. The DDW-081 has 8X speed DVD+R disc writing, 4X speed DVD+RW disc writing, 16X speed DVD-ROM disc reading, 40X speed CD-R disc writing, 24X speed CD-RW disc writing and 48X speed CD-ROM disc reading capabilities. Furthermore, the DDW-081 supports all writing methods specified in industry standards and the functions of writing conform to them.
Half-height, Tray-load Type DVD+R/RW Drive
Support 12 cm / 8 cm Disc
Maximum 16X (21.6 Mbytes/sec, DVD) / 48X (7,200 Kbytes/sec, CD) Data Transfer Rate
8X DVD+R Disc Writing Speed / 4X DVD+RW Disc Writing Speed / 16X DVD Disc Reading Speed / 40X CD-R Disc Writing Speed / 24X CD-RW Disc Writing Speed / 48X CD-ROM Reading speed
Support Disc-At-Once (DAO) / Session-At-Once (SAO) / Track-At-Once (TAO) / Fixed & Variable Packet Writing for CD
Support Disc at Once, Multi-session (DVD+R), Packet Write, Sequential Write, Random Access Write (DVD+RW) & DVD-Video for DVD
120 ms Random Access Time
IDE/ATAPI interface (compliant to ATA/ATAPI-5)
DVD-ROM (DVD-5, DVD-9, DVD-10, DVD-18), DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM/XA, CD-i, Karaoke CD, Video CD, Multi-session Photo CD, Enhanced CD, i-trax CD, CD extra, CD Plus, CD-Text, CD-R and CD-RW Discs Compliant
Support Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP Operating Systems
MPC level 3 compliant
MMC2 / Mt. Fuji Command compliant
Mt. Rainier supported
PC 2001 Logo
CSS (Content Scramble System) supported
RPC II (Regional Playback Control Phase II) supported
Motorized Tray Type Automatic Load
Electrical Button / Software / Emergency Ejection
MTBF 60,000 POH
Support Ultra DMA mode2, Multi-word DMA mode 2, and PIO mode 4
Flash ROM supports On Line Programming Capability
Mt. Rainier
Mt. Rainier, also known as EasyWrite, is a format specified by Microsoft, Sony, Philips and Hewlett-Packard to allow an optical disc to be used exactly like a floppy disk. That is, being able to read from and write to the disc from within any application you use, without the need for special burning software. Mt. Rainier differs from traditional packet writing software in that it performs most of the tasks (such as background formatting and handling defect management) in the hardware of the drive itself, making the system far more robust, and relieving the operating system from these tasks. Mt. Rainier will be a standard part of the forthcoming Microsoft Windows version, called Longhorn. Mt. Rainier capability is available for CD-RW and DVD+RW only. Look for the EasyWrite logo on the front of the drive to determine if it is Mt. Rainier compliant.
Two-way Compatibility
Two-way compatibility is the basic philosophy for DVD+R and DVD+RW. It means that existing DVD-Video discs can be played on a DVD+RW recorder (or that existing DVD-ROM discs can be read on a DVD+RW drive), and that the recordings you make on DVD+R and DVD+RW discs can be played on existing DVD-Video players and DVD-ROM drives.

This was in Pricewatch und Plextor DVD drives…Looks like it only writes DVD+R and +RW…but Writes at +R at 8X and + RW at 4X first time I have seen this…anyone know more about it???
Thanks Big John

A better picture

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/img/2003/858/quanta-nu-8xdvdrw.jpg

Translated from a German Web site…

The taiwanische manufacturer “nu Tech new one”, so far primarily in the OEM business actively, wants to bring its drive assemblies now also under own name on the market. To the Computex showed nu the DVD burner Ddw-081 in the 5,25"-Format. The burner is to be able to burn according to manufacturer DVD+R media with up to eightfold speed. It describes +RW media with 4X, CD R-S it is to fill with up to 40X (24X CD-rw, 40X CD, 16X DVD). Via firmware Upgrade the drive assembly is to be shortly also able to describe the at present still more cheaply offered DVD r media.

looks like it will be updated thru firmware to wite DVD-r and DVD-rw…maybe at 8X…
If anyone else can find more info please post…Thanks BIG JOHN

Why do you think this drive is based on a Plextor PX-504A or PX-708A? I don’t think it is because, for instance, the Plextor drives cannot read DVD-ROM media at 16x and only at 12x maximum.

The reason at first I thought it might be a Plextor is because I found it listed with the Plextor drives on PriceWatch.Com…Since than I have found that it is made by a Tiwan Co. named NU-Technology founded in June of 2003…They also make a 6X verson…The 8X verson priced at $153 seems like a great buy…Seeing how they say it will be upgrade thru firmware to also write DVD-R and DVD-RW…I have an E-mail for more Info I sent to Nu-Tech if I hear more about it I will Post…Would love to see a review on it before I buy It …

Now a question for you? I see your a Senior Admin. I registered last night to post on the Forum…On my other PC…Now I cant get to the forum boards on it???wont load the forums…have to change PC’s to get to the forum boards??? thanks for any info BIG JOHN

I don’t think we’ll be doing a review on this drive for the simple reason that we have no contacts over at NU-Technology.

As for your problem posting on the forum, have you checked if cookes are enabled on your computers? You, of course, should be able to access the forum from any PC with your username and password.

I just spoke to a technical person at nutech (www.nu-global.com by the way). He confirmed that they are working on DVD-R compatibility; however, they haven’t yet determined for sure whether it will be doable.

newegg has it for $149.99 delivered. I’m going to give it a go!

:bow:

Can it burn any currently availible 4X media at 8X?Thats the question I want to know because if it can my Plextor that I got yesterday is going back to newegg. I still havent been able to get a successful 2.4X DVD+RW burn out of it with Verbatim(MCC) and Maxell (Ricoh) disks.I can burn the TDK 4X +R’s at 8X no problem.It wont burn any of my dvd-r’s either. :frowning:

Well, I’ll let you know in a week or so. Alternately, you can call Nu and ask. They seem pretty friendly. Their site is broken, so you have to go to the site map to do anything. Then go to contact and call the U.S. number. Hit zero and you’ll get the operator. Tell her you have a technical question about this drive.

The Nu guy says that the current ETA on DVD-R/RW compatibility is end of year. We’ll see. As far as burning, I don’t understand that post after re-reading. The plextor (and probably the Nu) burns probably most 4x +R media at 8x. To get +RW media at 4x, you probably have to buy actual 4x +rw media, no?

Originally posted by wicked1
Can it burn any currently availible 4X media at 8X?Thats the question I want to know because if it can my Plextor that I got yesterday is going back to newegg. I still havent been able to get a successful 2.4X DVD+RW burn out of it with Verbatim(MCC) and Maxell (Ricoh) disks.I can burn the TDK 4X +R’s at 8X no problem.It wont burn any of my dvd-r’s either. :frowning:

Have you used absolutely new disks? Because, when I tried to burn my DVD+RWs from the Nec Drive 1100A with the Plex I wasn’t able to read them at all. Only a full erase of the rewriteable did help. After the quick erase, something was still on the disc from the Nec that made it not work.

Greets,
Moonstar

No I havent tried any new dvd+rw’s as I rarely use them.I did do full erase on them though.Regarding the post earlier about not making sense I should have wrote can it burn any currently availible dvd+r at 8X? I honestly could care less about the plextor burning the dvd+rws its the dvd-r issue thats making me very very mad as thats almost exclusively what I burn.

I got the drive, and was not especially impressed. I had problems with the digital audio output, initially (can’t tell whether it just went away or what). The tech support person at Nu has been promising for days to send me firmware rev 3 . Those conversations were pretty painful, as his ability to understand English seems limited. I’m returning the drive to newegg. I ordered the Plextor, instead.

That’s too bad scottegos2… Thanks for the update.