Hosts file

@Zzyzxroad that is fine as well so I can see if there is anything different that your seeing that I am not seeing. If something is different I experiment to see what changes or url are showing up that you or I aren’t seeing.

@jcroy AFAIK back then I didn’t have any hosts blocker and the junk that came up on sites was just pain in the butte. But it wasn’t til I research and researched that I found the current hosts file I am using now. There was the MVPS but that changed to 0.0.0.0 and that doesn’t work for me. Then I found the second hosts editor that used 127.0.0.1 which worked for me and stayed with it since that time. I left MVPS because it no longer fulfilled my 127 needs. They said it was no problem from MVPS but I doubt that is the case as they also on their site stated using 0.0.0.0 could have problem with system using 127.0.0.1 which most still use.

The blockers are only good as the people who updates them to update sites and new url to block. That’s why this for me is a ongoing process til I either retiree or can’t update this anymore but til that time - I will do my upmost to keep this going so others can enjoy the internet as it was intended free of JUNK/malware/redirects for those whom aren’t Savvy users. What I did to the hosts file once they follow the instruction is a internet free of unwanted harassment and they can get to where they are going to. I also have added to my Browsers IE, Edge, Firefox, Chrome adware/email popups Addons to kill ads so if you go to YT all those ads are skipped or blocked from showing and on email site banners on the side are removed from the sides. If anyone wants to know these programs I can add them here so they can look them over. I know they worked because I was the test subject to install and run them. And from there I found which one would do the job that their description said it would do. If not for these Addons to the Browser those YT ads and video ads were driving me crazy but now I can watch video or streams free of junk ads and email yahoo or gmail are free of those side banner ads and I can get to the business of reading/sending email without accidentally clicking on a ad link. The hosts file can’t catch those are they are constantly changing but now with the Addons it compliments the hosts file to further block unwanted junk.

Easy to change all the 0.0.0.0 back to 127.0.0.1 with a sed command run from a command line (such as cmd.exe in windows or bash.exe in linux/mac). That’s what I did on systems which didn’t know how to handle 0.0.0.0 properly back in the day.

sed -e ‘s/0.0.0.0/127.0.0.1/’ mvps.txt > newmvps.txt

On my current desktop computers, in practice I’ve found that 127.0.0.1 runs a lot slower in dns lookups. Especially when the host blacklist file has hundreds of thousands (or over a million) entries, I’ve found that 0.0.0.0 runs a lot faster than 127.0.0.1

With a smaller sized host blacklist file (such as mvps or dan pollock) on a current/recent computer, the speed differences between 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 is not really a big issue.

Back in the day when I was primarily using the mvps blacklist (circa 2000s decade), I was also turning off scripting by default in mozilla (and later firefox).

In those days, mozilla/firefox had a button in one of the menus where javscript could be turned on or off by hand. Advertising and really annoying stuff was easily blocked by turning off scripting at the time. (Later versions of mozilla/firefox removed this button entirely).

The only time I turned on javascript by hand in mozilla/firefox, was when the website was not functional. For example, such as some message boards whose software required scripting in order to make new posts.

As time went on, it became harder to simply eliminate annoying stuff in this manner. (Such as websites which do too much “inline” scripting).

Thanks. I removed it from Pi-Hole.

Thanks. I applied it in Pi-Hole and that along with pretty much the rest of the default filters, or thereabouts, it’s currently showing… Domains on the Blocklist = 605,418

but ill have to see how things play out with it over the next month or so. because I think the key is finding a HOSTS file that blocks as much junk as possible but without breaking websites. but so far, the ones that came with Pi-Hole along with MVPS/Adaway don’t seem to be messing with anything.

p.s. I noticed memory usage went up a good amount as it’s currently floating around 82.18MB as I think it was around 30MB or so the last I checked. but it’s a non-issue though as the laptop I got Pi-Hole running on has 2GB of RAM and ‘Memory usage: 16.5%’ is shown on Pi-Hole so it’s not even remotely close to running out of RAM.

EDIT: it appears it blocked fossbytes.com so I had to whitelist that.

If I had to guess, that fossbytes entry was probably from a blacklist which hasn’t been culled for awhile. There’s many blacklists which appear to have been abandoned by their maintainers, and haven’t been updated in a long time.

I distinguish between host specific blacklists, and domains type blacklists. In practice, I’ve found domain blacklists aren’t quite as useful for hosts file style blacklisting on ms windows type systems.

On linux type systems, pi-hole and dnsmasq can blacklist entire domains (ie. ALL the hosts under the domain name). To do the same entire domain blocking only using a hosts file on ms windows, it would require redirecting every single host in the domain to 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 by listing every single host in detail (including aliases under the same domain).

Nevertheless, my current host file blacklist on ms windoze is just a concatenation of the mvps and dan pollock lists where I just removed the duplicates. (I wrote my own script which does this all in one swoop, which can incorporate additional blacklists easily).

The mvps and dan pollock lists are small and good enough to do this style of host file blacklisting, without significantly slowing down dns lookups. (Such as blocking known long lived advertising and tracking servers).

PC Windows hosts edited update 5-17-20 this also has update in reply to

hosts 5-17-20.zip (97.9 KB)

1 Like

PC Windows hosts custom adblocker update 6-8-20

hosts 6-8-20.zip (97.9 KB)

PC Windows hosts custom adblocker updated 6-26-20

hosts 6-26-20.zip (97.9 KB)

RED ALERT!!!

Latest Windows 10 August Defender will delete your hosts file that was modified. It’s saying it’s hijacking but that is Totally Wrong.

So change your Defender setting and permit this action to be set so it doesn’t reset your hosts file. I’ll update with the August update sometime here.

PC Windows hosts custom adblocker updated 8-6-20

hosts 8-6-20.zip (98.1 KB)

Most recent Hosts adware blocker and redirect blocker…

PC Windows hosts custom adblocker update 10-10-20
NOTE: Read August 14 FYI to fix Defender Flagging this as a issue and Permit this to ALLOW.

hosts 10-10-20.zip (98.6 KB)

thank you

Hello, I’m not very well versed with Defender. Not very sure what I should be modifying.
If you have the time maybe a short how-to would be nice.
Thank you
Jeff

I took a screenshot of the action but not one of before to show what it says but I’ll have to find the screenshot of it to show it. So those that use Defender will see where they need to make the change for it to allow this action so Defender doesn’t delete the hosts file. It treats it like a malware redirect but that’s what exactly what the edited hosts does block redirects. So if it changes it back to the standard host file you can guarantee ads/redirects/redirect site will exploits your Browser.

Below is what the Original Windows hosts file looks like and you can see why it will not block ads/adware redirected sites.

I already know a host file like this will permit all ads/malware redirects to take over. That is from experiences. There’s nothing being blocked and the Windows Defender can only do so much that is why my hosts edited file is so big because it blocks ads/redirects from starting up or showing up in your browser of choice. No plugin or addon is need for the browser to get you where your trying to get to. And paying to get a A/V program when the host blocker is free along with having Windows you get the Defender for free as well. I rather have the A/V to remove Virus/Malware before they install and the host blocker prevents those programs from calling home in the first place to infect more.

Thanks for your response. I still don’t know what needs to be done to continue to use Defender without having to install a third party fix-it-all protection software.
Thanks
Jeff

I found it, and all is well.
Thank you.
Jeff