Hosts file

vbimport

Thanks again.

PC Windows hosts edited 9-19-17

hosts 9-19-17.zip (86.8 KB)

Always wonder how come only a few uses this hosts edit when it’s free and ready to go?

No idea, but I will guess that some user might find it hard to run notepad as admin and use it.

ugh…I think by this time users should be getting their heads wrapped around this so it would improve their net browsing before popups became a cancer.

Most should have, but they dont, unless there is an one click solution, and when that solution fails that can point their finger at someone and say that this was not their fault,

I still think think that editing a text file is an excellent solution, plus worst case you can always put some # and have the same experience as you did without any modifications to the host file.

Well, I would put just the hosts file by itself but the system doesn’t permit it unless it is a zip format which makes it a pin in the but. That would be faster as all they need to do is download and copy to the right location and over-write the old hosts file and they’re ready to go. I wonder if making a link to mediafire would permit them to download the file and not a zip format?

My view is that you are if you decide to learn how to manually do this kind of changes. I am not sure if you can just overwrite the default host file, plus running notepad in admin mode give much more control, you can backup the original host file, and have it as a backup.

If your logged in as Admin you can over write the hosts file itself. I was saying if they had the permission and link was the hosts file itself not instead of zipping it so I can upload it to the site here and others can just directly download and copy to the hosts file location and over write the original one and not have to do unzipping to be able to just copy it to the hosts file location would be faster for them to see how it is done. This way it would be faster and they could see how to do it.

I am not sure that you can overwrite the host file directly, to be honest I have never tried that way :redface:

Only works if your using the Admin/Owner account to over write the hosts file. I know it works I do that every time.
I am going to make a direct Mediafire link and see if this work so they don’t have to unzip it but logged in as Admin/Owner they should be able to do it.

PC Windows hosts edited 9-24-17

hosts 9-24-17.zip (86.9 KB)

Instructions:
# This file must be saved as a text file with no extension. (This means
# that the file name should be exactly as below, without a “.txt” appended.)

# Let me repeat, the file should be named "hosts" NOT "hosts.txt".

# For Windows 9x and ME place this file at "C:\Windows\hosts"
# For NT, Win2K and XP use "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
#                       or "C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
# For Windows 7 and Vista use "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
#			or "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
# For Windows 8 and Windows 10 use "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts"
# 		You may need to tell Windows Defender to ignore this path
# 		see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2764944
# You may have to use Notepad and "Run as Administrator"

I’ll see how this pans out…

Yes but you can also run notepad as administrator and edit the file, anyway if the mediafire option works then people can use that, I still would choose the way that I know things work.

Just giving options to those that may not like using zip files. As long as it will replace the original hosts file then by all means.

PC Windows hosts edited 9-28-17

hosts 9-28-17.zip (87.0 KB)

PC Windows hosts file edited 10-4-17

hosts 10-4-17.zip (87.1 KB)

PC Windows hosts edited 10-9-17

hosts 10-9-17.zip (87.1 KB)

PC Windows hosts edited 10-12-17

hosts 10-12-17.zip (87.2 KB)

PC Windows hosts edited 10-17-17

hosts 10-17-17.zip (87.2 KB)

Windows hosts edited 10-17-17 unzipped version download

PC Windows hosts edited 10-22-17