Hosts file

vbimport

I also have done a lot o tweaks to win10 pro and am at a point that I dont remember what I have tweaked, so far they work.

If win10 did not have all the spy, it would have been microsoft’s best OS.

[QUOTE=vroom;2787574]I also have done a lot o tweaks to win10 pro and am at a point that I dont remember what I have tweaked, so far they work.

If win10 did not have all the spy, it would have been microsoft’s best OS.[/QUOTE]
Well considering Win7 is on it’s way out in 2020 - we got no other real choice but to go Win10 and maybe future O/S might be better from Microsoft but then we will have to wait until 2020 to find out. The PC Windows hosts edit file is a sure fire way to get back at their telemetry right away.

PC Windows hosts edit 1-25-17

hosts 1-25-17.zip (84.1 KB)

PC Windows hosts edit

hosts 1-31-17.zip (84.1 KB)

Thanks, hope that tomorrow I will updating to this file.

[QUOTE=vroom;2787942]Thanks, hope that tomorrow I will updating to this file.[/QUOTE]
And the fight continues… when will the realize it users are not dumb terminals anymore. :stuck_out_tongue:

PC Windows hosts edit 2-8-17

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2787952]And the fight continues… when will the realize it users are not dumb terminals anymore. :p[/QUOTE]
Thanks mate. Awesome work. I have been looking for something like this for a while but due to the lack of time I couldn’t do the research on my own.

[QUOTE=nidzo;2788217]Thanks mate. Awesome work. I have been looking for something like this for a while but due to the lack of time I couldn’t do the research on my own.[/QUOTE]
This has been here for some time AFAIK and I been using it since 2006 but not posted here - when I got had by those sites. I did some time back post simple instructions on how to unzip and copy and replace the original hosts file so read up on that before you mess up your hosts file. I was like you early on and had to do alot of research and make “trial and error” before I narrowed down how to and make sure it worked properly. And the fruits of the labor is now everyone can enjoy the internet without all the BS that is thrown at you. I wanted users to know how the internet was adware and malware free when I first started using it - if there was ads they were nondescript and non-interfering with your Browsing needs in the beginning.

PC Windows hosts edit 2-9-17

Thanks.

Trying to catch up on hosts updates to get them posted sooner but tax time and relaxing from work is taking a toll… :stuck_out_tongue:

We can live a the older version of the host file, so far it work perfect. So relaxing take time an relax.

[QUOTE=vroom;2788349]We can live a the older version of the host file, so far it work perfect. So relaxing take time an relax.[/QUOTE]
I know if those adware weren’t so annoying and taxing on slow systems or older system and not so intrusive then we wouldn’t have to take this route. The web has become such a pitfall that a wrong click could open Browsers you didn’t intend to open. And closing open running ads in themselves are a pitfall as well. I know of a co-worker handicap sons got scammed with those computer popup saying he has a malware on his system to call them to clean his system. That p((**&&* me off greatly when this happens to such a person whom doesn’t have the capacity to fend off such attacks.

PC Windows hosts edit 2-14-17

Just a few hints as I have always corrected the hosts file (don’t know if it is the case still):

1. Ports
    A host is a single DNS address covering any of the 65536 ports (0-65535) and so :443 will not work as it is against the standard for hosts.
  2. sub-directories
    Pointing back to 1. and this is also against the standard for hosts.
    127.0.0.1 FQDN (fully qualified domain name) and that’s pretty much it apart from comments and neglected empty lines.

Blocking off single sub-directories and single ports may work on some formats and or programs, I would not know, but it is not part of the standard just like wildcards is not possible (lord knows we would benefit from wildcards to block off ‘*.maliciousdomain.org’ at least).

:flower:

This site has olympus cameras or Ford trucks ad. You might have to refresh the page once or twice to see them. Chrome and Firefox.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2788492]Thanks :slight_smile:

Just a few hints as I have always corrected the hosts file (don’t know if it is the case still):

1. Ports
    A host is a single DNS address covering any of the 65536 ports (0-65535) and so :443 will not work as it is against the standard for hosts.
  2. sub-directories
    Pointing back to 1. and this is also against the standard for hosts.
    127.0.0.1 FQDN (fully qualified domain name) and that’s pretty much it apart from comments and neglected empty lines.

Blocking off single sub-directories and single ports may work on some formats and or programs, I would not know, but it is not part of the standard just like wildcards is not possible (lord knows we would benefit from wildcards to block off ‘*.maliciousdomain.org’ at least).

:flower:[/QUOTE]
From my understanding of hosts file…

Anything before ***.maliciousdomaing.org will be blocked as well as long as it matches the domain name maliciousdomain.org.

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2788510]http://mashable.com/

This site has olympus cameras or Ford trucks ad. You might have to refresh the page once or twice to see them. Chrome and Firefox.[/QUOTE]
Where does it popup at? Using Windows 10x64 Pro FF51? Got screen shot of it?

This time it was a Scotia Bank ad. They are mixed in with the articles.