Horrible Ritek G04 burns on 411s...what gives?!

vbimport

MODS Not sure if this belongs here or in the newbie thread. Please move if incorrectly posted in wrong forum.

First time poster, please forgive me.

A little background about me, a dvd burning newbie. I have attempted only 3 dvd backups, 1 success, and 2 not. The only program I use is DVD Shrink (thank goodness for those guides here!). Also, I use the current firmware FS0J to both read/write. I use a JLMS XJ-HD163 (flashed from a LTD-163) to read the dvd as the 411s burns it. The 411s is then used to test the media with kprobe, again FS0J.

First backup (Once Upon A Time In Mexico) was a success using Khypermedia +R media. Plays fine in my Toshiba standalone (eventhough Kprobe showed many errors). Go figure.

Second attempt was a backup (Kill Bill Vol. 1) using Ritek 1x -RW. That backup got to 100% before it got a read error.

Third and most astonishing backup (Kill Bill Vol. 1) using Ritek G04 -R. It burns fine, so I think. Throw it in the Toshiba and the display goes no further than “loading.” I then test the burned media using Kprobe and was shocked. Not sure if this is of any benefit but i took this from dvdinfopro:
00000000 00 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 32 30 30 34 30 34 32 31 …20040421
00000010 30 37 35 32 31 39 08 04 05 C0 00 08 06 40 00 18 075219…@…
00000020 07 40 60 04 0C 40 78 04 0D 40 80 08 0E 40 00 6E .@`…@x…@…@.n

Any help as to what I did wrong (as we all KNOW it couln’t be a problem with the 411s right?!;)) would be greatly appreciated. I expected no probs out of this media and now I’m banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what’s going on. From what is posted here, does anything pop out as being wrong? I’m sure one of the obvious solutions will be to flash to a different FW but I don’t want to throw away more money by burning bad discs if I can avoid that at all.

Here’s Kprobe:

doesn’t trust Riteks…

Under what brand name was this disc sold as?

I’ve also heard people say that the latest 411S firmware (FS0J) isn’t the best.

DVD-R 1X-4X 4.7GB G04 (Silver Shiny Top) Bulk by Ritek
That’s where I ordered them from. There are MANY people who ordered from them around the same time and had wonderful results on their Lite-On’s.

I’ve read those posts too. But I saw a lot of kprobe results that tested well using FS0J.:confused:

Try to flash an old firmware with flashfix (I read FSOF is quite good for DVD-R) and may be try to use a different burning program (recordnow instead of Nero).

I will try burning on FSOF tomorrow. I used DVD Shrink to burn all 3 dvds btw.
Edited:Got me! lol :bigsmile: My apologies. I did not know DVD Shrink used Nero. I will try recordnow. Thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:

Originally posted by apartment103
I will try burning on FSOF tomorrow. I used DVD Shrink to burn all 3 dvds btw.

…and DVD Shrink uses Nero engine to burn…BTW :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I’ve had this problem too with my 411S. I’ve only been burning with Ritek Ridata G04’s from Meritline and so far I’ve been getting about 60% coasters (read errors half way or near end, with Nero’s “verify written data” and other file comparing programs).

I was originally using FS0F and my first 3 or 4 burns were fine. Then I got 3 coasters out of the next 4. Then I decided to upgrade my drive to an 811S and used HS0P. Burnt 1 successful but a couple more coasters. Went back to 411S and tried FS0J and burnt coasters. Went back to FS0F, burnt a couple successfully and then some coasters. Then went back to an 811S with HS0E and burnt a couple successful in a row but then yesterday I got another coaster.

Do I just have a bad drive? Bad batch of discs? Bad luck? I haven’t had the time to try other brands of media but will try that soon. The Ritek G04’s are so cheap now but I’ve lost my trust in them and possibly in Lite-On. I’ve had 3 Lite-On CD-RW drives which I loved. Any suggestions?

I got a bunch of them (Labeled Ridata) from NewEgg. The long and short is I’m getting some of the best burns/kprobes I’ve ever gotten from them using FSOJ and the included burning app (Sonic something or other I think).

I would recommend trying that combo on an unmodified 411 first and see if it does anything. (BTW, Nero consistently is giving me worse burns - 100-200 PI higher.)

Originally posted by Necromancyr
[B]I got a bunch of them (Labeled Ridata) from NewEgg. The long and short is I’m getting some of the best burns/kprobes I’ve ever gotten from them using FSOJ and the included burning app (Sonic something or other I think).

I would recommend trying that combo on an unmodified 411 first and see if it does anything. (BTW, Nero consistently is giving me worse burns - 100-200 PI higher.) [/B]

RiData is “Grade A” Ritek.

All Ritek’s are NOT created euqal.

Originally posted by DavesMan
…and DVD Shrink uses Nero engine to burn…BTW :stuck_out_tongue:

You can easily disable this… :smiley: “Untick” as shown in attachment.

BTW, I wouln´t say; Nero engine

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]RiData is “Grade A” Ritek.

All Ritek’s are NOT created euqal. [/B]

I’m aware, that’s why I mentioned which ones I was using. The OP didn’t say what kind he was using as far as I could see.

Just offering some ideas.

Originally posted by Necromancyr
[B]I’m aware, that’s why I mentioned which ones I was using. The OP didn’t say what kind he was using as far as I could see.

Just offering some ideas. [/B]

I just think it’s a good article to read :bigsmile:

I just think it’s a good article to read :bigsmile:

Thanks for all the advice so far, keep it coming! I read that article awhile back before purchasing the Ritek G04’s. Friends have commented that the orange tops work just fine for them so I guess it’s hit or miss with that particular media.

Also, i unticked the nero option in DVD Shrink and have installed RecordNow Max. All that’s left to do is flash my FW back to FS0F. Can someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of the .exe version of FS0F? I feel more comfortable using flashfix & it only takes exe’s.

Can someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of the .exe version of FS0F? I feel more comfortable using flashfix & it only takes exe’s.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there isn’t one publically available for download.

Although this may scare you, but I would recommend using LtnFW located in the tools sticky. It’s really quite safe, and the only way you can mess up is if you select the wrong drive (which you can do even with a EXE flasher) or loading the wrong BIN file. Just be sure to have “update bootcode” checked.

apartment 103 wrote:

Can someone be kind enough to point me in the direction of the .exe version of FS0F? I feel more comfortable using flashfix & it only takes exe’s.

Go to this site to download FS0F firmware:
http://dhc014.rpc1.org/indexOEM.htm#L

Read the instructions from the COMPREHENSIVE LITEON TOOLS COLLECTION

Originally posted by code65536
Although this may scare you, but I would recommend using LtnFW located in the tools sticky. It’s really quite safe, and the only way you can mess up is if you select the wrong drive (which you can do even with a EXE flasher) or loading the wrong BIN file. Just be sure to have “update bootcode” checked.

UPDATE BOOTCODE?! :eek: I scowered the net and could not come across any exe FW besides FS0J. I wasn’t expecting responses so quickly so I went ahead with LTNFW (which I was afraid to use btw for fear of messing something up) and flashed back to FS0F. Instead of checking “update bootcode” however I chose “update.”

I’m in the process of encoding KBV1 again & will then burn. Should I scrap what I’ve done so far and start all over only this time checking “update bootcode?”

DVDADDICT - Thank you. Unfortunately I was looking for exe versions of the older FW. The only exe FW on dhc014’s site for the 411s is FS0J. The rest are bins. That’s actually the site I used to get the bins to use with LtnFW :slight_smile:

Originally posted by code65536
Just be sure to have “update bootcode” checked.

I’ve actually always recommended NOT to use the “update bootcode” option. I has nothing to do with the firmware version or it’s operation and is there as a fail safe incase something goes wrong with the flash (very rare).
Checking it won’t really hurt anything… but neither will leaving it unchecked, in fact it’s a little safer in the long run.

Instead of checking “update bootcode” however I chose “update.”

I should’ve been more clear… check both update and update bootcode… “update bootcode” is an option that applies when you have the “update” operation selected.

I’ve actually always recommended NOT to use the “update bootcode” option. I has nothing to do with the firmware version or it’s operation and is there as a fail safe incase something goes wrong with the flash (very rare).
Checking it won’t really hurt anything… but neither will leaving it unchecked, in fact it’s a little safer in the long run.

I see. I’ve always flashed with update bootcode checked if I’m flashing to a different drive’s FW or a different FW revision. I recall a thread a little while ago where someone flashed their drive using LtnFW and then did a compare of their drive’s FW with the BIN that they used to flash the drive, and they found that it differed. The difference occurred in the drive identification area, and ala42 replied to the person saying that the problem was that he failed to select update bootcode. And for some drives, like the no-eeprom 52x CD-burner, you must select update bootcode… so with these two things, I guess my tendency is towards recommending the bootcode update… shrugs?

I copied KBV1 to harddrive and am ready to burn. Only problem is I have no clue as to how to burn what I have with Sonic/Veritas RecordNow v4.61 :sad:
I’m eager to know if what has been done thus far will improve burn quality. Thanks for all the help/suggestions so far.

BTW, in the preview pane of DVD Shrink KBV1 is upside down ! Could that have anything to do with why it is not burning properly?