Horrible pixelation w/ CloneDVD 2.8.5.1 when compressing

I’m using CloneDVD 2.8.5.1 to compress a DVD9 into a DVD5. The compression ratio is around 56% and the result is so poor, horrible pixelation, especially on blue/purple background. With DiVX compressing the DVD9 into 1.2GB, the quality is much better than CloneDVD’s own codec. Anyone know which codec CloneDVD is using ? Any recommendation of other software that has better codec and same features as CloneDVD.

-n

56% is way to much compression for a DVD - DiVX is a totally different way of encoding.

If you want to keep all the movie features on the DVD, I would suggest splitting the disc onto 2 different DVD’s. Or use DL media.

Personally I only put the main movie on my backup’s.

56% says it all.
CloneDVD2 is one of the best software out there, but it can not do miracles.

You may try DVDShrink (with deep analysis) or some other software.

At that much compression I’d start looking at DVD-RB myself. Anything below 80% for me and I tend to use DVD-RB. It works really well. I realize this is the CloneDVD forum, but, the only way CloneDVD is going to give you acceptable results is to either remove some content or split the disc.

Have you tried 1click dvd. It works great!
Are you trying to do a 1 to 1 copy? I use 1 clickdvd copy and copy movie only. Does a great job and cannot tell a difference between the copy and the original.

http://www.lgsoftwareinnovations.com/

1click is in no way better than elby CloneDVD.

I did not mean to imply that one program is better than another. I know that at times it is better to use another program to copy a movie. I myself have several different programs that I use if one gives me a problem copying a movie. I was just suggesting that maybe this program may work better on this particular computer set up and movie. If not, it may not be a program issue but what the user is trying to do or poor quality media.

vkeiser
Respectfully, if you don’t see a difference between a backup compressed to the degree that nocloo used, and the original, then you must have your DVD player hooked up to your monitor with an RF cable wire or a composite 3-prong (Red/white or black/yellow) cable. Compression is very noticable on an HD rig (component cable/progressive scan output)

Best regards,
Whipserer

I would agree only if you’re referring to transcoding, Whisperer1. :slight_smile: Recompressing a movie gives a far better quality at such compression rates, and a lot of the time it’s difficult to tell the difference even at such high compression rates. That’s not to say that you’ll always get identical results to the original, but, transcoding can only take you so far. But then again, a lot of people wouldn’t bother recompressing at that point…they’d simply split the disc. It’s really a matter of preference.

SamuriHL
Ya, I read the same as you have said elsewhere and tech articles. I tried it and the bright scenes were acceptable to me but I couldn’t live with the grainy-ness in the shadows and dark scenes. As you say, though, it’s personal preference. So I just split and my DVD Changer/Player makes the inconvenience of 2 disks a easy.

In another year we won’t even be comparing notes on compression because we will all be able to afford cheap, quality DL disks and (hopefully) all burners and firmware and software will be on the same page as far as +R bitsetting.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Ha, ha! This is a joke, isn’t it? Think about it… DL discs can never be as cheap as two SL discs, because they need a more difficult manufacturing process.
Depends on what qualifies as “affordable”. :slight_smile:

While that might be true, uh, Tru, there might come a time when a 10 pack of DL discs will be “cheap enough.” Cheaper than 2 SL discs? No. But, cheap enough for the movies that you’d ordinarily want to split. Those 2.5-3+ hour movies with lots of action, for instance. There aren’t very many movies that I consider the need to split them or recompress them(in my case). But if the DL discs come down to 1-2 bucks a pop I’d consider getting some good quality (NOT MEMOREX…remember people, NOT memorex!!) discs for those rare instances where the movie is really large.

SamuriHL,
The 2.00 price you stated is a reality for Verbatim’s in the USA. I bought 6 at that price and burned two successfullly with CloneDVD and AnyDVD.
Saw no difference in quality from my usual SL burns, but all the extra’s I consider crap were available if I chose to watch. I’ll save the remaining 4 for some of those extra long movies that come out periodically. If interested, you might want to keep an eye out in the CDFreaks Bargain Basement forum for tips on sales, that’s where I got my inormation that Staples had an unannounced sale. If you went to buy them in the store the price indicated the full price, only way to know the cheap price was to have it scanned at the register.

Tru
So … you laugh! My prediction: one year from today the brand names we trust will be selling dual layer media in 100 pack spindles for $1.00 US (or less) per disk. They will become commodity like any other product that seems new and miraculous to us today but develops a competition base as market time passes.

Best,
Whisperer

That may be true but with Blu Ray technology on the horizon manufacturers may lose interest in DL production and gear there resources to the newer technology. The fewer people in the manufacturing game, the higher the cost.

itzbinnice
Possibly true in the long run but remember how long DVD took to actually get off the ground? The first DVD ever released (major movie, not promo demos) was Twister on August 27, 1997. It wasn’t until early 2004 that DVD players surpassed VHS players (51%) in American households.

Hi-Def will be way more expensive and our (consumer) economy is worse now. War economy is great! :frowning:

Whisperer

I’ve seen them for like 3 bucks a piece at our local best buy. I almost considered picking up a 10 pack but at the time I was low on funds. 2 bucks would definitely sway me to get some though. It’s about time they come down in price. All of my burners will burn at 4x on them if the discs support it, so, that’d be great.