HORRIBLE News: CMC bought TY from JVC

vbimport

I’ve had HORRIBLE luck with CMC. Won’t touch the stuff. Media Supply is now making there own azo based discs. I’ve requested samples, don’t know if I’m going to get them or not.

It’s better than the technology just disappearing, which is what it seemed would happen anyway.

From Media Supply

"Here’s the scoop on JVC/Taiyo Yuden’s announcement regarding CD-R & DVD-R

Dear [Contact],
Big changes are in the works for JVC/Taiyo Yuden users over the next couple months. Here’s the story on what is happening:

In June of 2015, JVC announced they would no longer be manufacturing high-quality Taiyo Yuden engineered DVDs & CDs as of 12/31/15. This is based on their Philips license expiring. In November, CMC announced they would be buying the Taiyo Yuden technology, and begin making media using Taiyo Yuden dye and proceedures in their Taiwan plants. This new product will become available in late February or early March. We have a limited supply of product made in Japan by JVC available during this transition. The latest on this new product is that it’s still in testing, but it’s expected to be available in the next 45 days.

So, you’re probably wondering what our plan is at Media Supply. With some manufacturers leaving the business, and others selling their names or technology to other (sometimes less reputable) manufacturers, we wanted the ability to offer our customers a line of premium, high-quality discs that they could depend on, that wouldn’t be affected by changes in the industry. Below you’ll find information on our new MediaPro Premium blank media. If you have questions about this Taiyo Yuden change, contact us via email or call 1-800-944-4237 for more info."

While there are more knowledgeable people better suited for a discussion here than me, TY has been my brand of choice for a decade. If CMC makes this move to enhance their reputation and indeed follow TY’s procedures and dye, I can’t see that it should make no difference where the actual production happens :confused:

Oh well, with the declining sales for optical discs, we will have to settle at some point with a few production plants worldwide… They will most probably be located in low-cost countries all of them over time. :flower:

I’ve pretty much gone to files for music, but still use discs for dvd. 3 years ago (or so) it seemed like FTI & TY were making quality products. FTI turned to junk last time I checked some (2 years ago?) & I’ve been seeing a slow but steady decline In TY since the JVC purchase. In my experience, one cake will be awesome, & the next one will be awful. It may just be an issue with the Chinese packaging of the discs, I don’t know.

Here’s hoping something will be decent, & I wish I had the $'s to stock up on TY now!

You still can buy as much JVC/TY as you want if you buy it now. :iagree:

I’m going to keep using Memorex. I have had good results with them.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2767072]I’m going to keep using Memorex. I have had good results with them.[/QUOTE]
You do know Memorex sells all kinds of media, so there’s a certain chance you get CMC media anyway?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2767067]You still can buy as much JVC/TY as you want if you buy it now. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

True. Finances is an issue for me.

I s/w Media Supply today. They expect to have stock through early March. They have not seen the CMC/Ty’s yet. Their new in house AZO discs will be minuses ONLY. They told me the ONLY other + on the market they’re aware of is Verb; & since Falcon stopped making Verbs, I’ve stayed away from them.

I’m going to try to buy a couple hundred, but I don’t have the $'s to buy case lots like I would prefer to do.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2767291]True. Finances is an issue for me.

I s/w Media Supply today. They expect to have stock through early March. They have not seen the CMC/Ty’s yet. Their new in house AZO discs will be minuses ONLY. They told me the ONLY other + on the market they’re aware of is Verb; & since Falcon stopped making Verbs, I’ve stayed away from them.

I’m going to try to buy a couple hundred, but I don’t have the $'s to buy case lots like I would prefer to do.[/QUOTE]

I still have 500 Sony Tys that I have to get rid of, I havent burned a disc in two years.

Epp just planning to buy some TY from Japan (What’s CD-R and DVD-R). Gosh now I am worried if the stuff I get might already be made by CMC…

“Will become available in late February or early March”. You aren’t going to get it just yet.

Plus, if you’re buying That’s, straight from Japan, you’re going to be buying old stock. I don’t think CMC necessarily intended to keep the brand name going.

Whew, I guess I was over reacting a bit there. I don’t read Japanese, so searching on Japanese sites always proves difficult, and I was getting a little worried. But now that you mention it and I think about it, the That’s brand has Made In Japan (in Japanese) slapped all over it - so I should be good to go. Caught this news just in the nick of time I guess!

Hrmmm now that I think about it, I also wonder if there is any difference in CD-R quality between That’s (speed usually rated 1-40x) vs the Professional TY sold by Rima (speed rated 52x). I will have to do a forum search!

[QUOTE=SpotOn;2768516]Whew, I guess I was over reacting a bit there. I don’t read Japanese, so searching on Japanese sites always proves difficult, and I was getting a little worried. But now that you mention it and I think about it, the That’s brand has Made In Japan (in Japanese) slapped all over it - so I should be good to go. Caught this news just in the nick of time I guess!

Hrmmm now that I think about it, I also wonder if there is any difference in CD-R quality between That’s (speed usually rated 1-40x) vs the Professional TY sold by Rima (speed rated 52x). I will have to do a forum search![/QUOTE]

I s/w Media Supply yesterday (my supplier of choice) They’ve still got stock on JVC/TY & they’re now expecting it to last a couple more months.

My big concern is per MS there will likely be NO 8x +'s of any quality left once these are gone…

MS is launching there own line of self branded AZO due to this issue, they will send out samples.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had the best luck with JCDR-ZZ-SK (Pro CD in tape wrap) & JDPR-ZZ-SB8 (Pro 8x+ DVD) (though I wish the dvd+r’s were offered in tape wrap; JVC stopped using spacers awhile back & the discs bounce inside the container during shipping.)

I hope their house brand is good enough for MOD retail. I have just under 300 of the real TY’s; I hope to have them last a couple years for personal use.

The other issue I’ve experienced with JVC TY over the last 2 years or so is that quality varies significantly from package to package. The pack I’m using now is excellent; but I won’t know about the other 2 until I open them.

[QUOTE=Albert;2767021]It’s better than the technology just disappearing, which is what it seemed would happen anyway.[/QUOTE]
:iagree::iagree:

CMC have always been capable of making good quality discs. But like every manufacturer, they don’t always. It is all down to cost and quality control.

In principle, there is no reason why CMC-made TY couldn’t be as recent Japanese production. You never know, they might even be an improvement! Especially if CMC ends Taiyo Yuden’s long-standing practice of shipped stamped & coated half-DVDs from Japan to China for the upper platter to be added.

(One hates to think of the opportunities for damage & contamination this introduces. And modern TY’s DVDs are alarmingly easy to peel apart - worse than anything else I’ve ever seen. :Z)

CMC have always been capable of making good quality discs. But like every manufacturer, they don’t always. It is all down to cost and quality control.

In principle, there is no reason why CMC-made TY couldn’t be as recent Japanese production. You never know, they might even be an improvement! Especially if CMC ends Taiyo Yuden’s long-standing practice of shipped stamped & coated half-DVDs from Japan to China for the upper platter to be added.

(One hates to think of the opportunities for damage & contamination this introduces. And modern TY’s DVDs are alarmingly easy to peel apart - worse than anything else I’ve ever seen. :Z)[/QUOTE]

Interesting. i knew they were being packaged in China (which I found concerning), but I didn’t know about the upper platter being added in China. That would explain the wide variance in quality I’ve seen from package to package.

Don’t know why our experiences are different, but I’ve NEVER seen a decent CMC scan; & before I knew better I tried several different “brands” made by CMC.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2768576]

Don’t know why our experiences are different, but I’ve NEVER seen a decent CMC scan; & before I knew better I tried several different “brands” made by CMC.[/QUOTE]

I have at least a few decent test saw or did. The following test Fortis CD-R Made in Taiwan CMC 97m26s66f purchased 100 units at a price of about $ 15 in 2014. On the two drives Plextor PX-L890SA and PX-891SA read without any errors C1 …

Fortis CD-R Made in Tajwan CMC 97m26s66f
NEC ND-2510A fw.2.19
NERO 2014 x16
part1.

NEC ND-2510A fw.2.19
NERO 2014 x16
part2.

NEC ND-2510A fw.2.19
NERO 2014 x16
part3.

Some more information about the TY changes can be read here: http://www.nortsandones.com.au/Taiyo-Yuden-Facts